Hello,

I will be attending the U.S. Army AH-64D Instructor Pilot Course in a couple weeks and will be adding a CFI for Rotary Wing-Helicopter to my current list of certifications. I am interested in possible instructing part-time on the weekends with one of the local flight schools. Does anyone know if I will need to receive any additional flight training in order to obtain a part time job as an instructor. I currently have over 550 hrs total time with over 400 hours in a helicopter all of which is turbine time. And Almost 300 of which is multi-engine turbine.

Any information that you could provide would be greatly appreciated.

Depends on what you will be instructing in. For Robinson helicopters, you'll have to complete the awareness training in SFAR 73 in part 61 of the regs. Also, to instruct in an R-22, you'll have to have 50 hours in that aircraft first. For the R-44, you'll have to have 50 hours in Robinson helicopters, at least 25 of which are in the R-44. Above all of this, you also need to have a CFI endorsement to teach in Robinsons which is given by an examiner. This is all in the SFAR in Part 61. As far as other aircraft, you'll need at least 5 hrs PIC in the type of helicopter before you can instruct in it (14CFR61.195(f)). That covers the regulatory stuff...other than that, you're at the mercy of the flight school's policies/requirements.

Hello,

I will be attending the U.S. Army AH-64D Instructor Pilot Course in a couple weeks and will be adding a CFI for Rotary Wing-Helicopter to my current list of certifications. I am interested in possible instructing part-time on the weekends with one of the local flight schools. Does anyone know if I will need to receive any additional flight training in order to obtain a part time job as an instructor. I currently have over 550 hrs total time with over 400 hours in a helicopter all of which is turbine time. And Almost 300 of which is multi-engine turbine.

Any information that you could provide would be greatly appreciated.

How much SOLO time do you have?

Just out of curiosity... why would that matter? I scratched out my "solo" column in my logbook and made it my NVG column years ago.

It shouldn't, I'm just curious since most military pilots don't ever fly solo. PIC time will matter though...

Anything is possible; however, with what you ask, not probable….

As already stated, an extensive amount of “make & model” time is required for an employer to take a chance with you. Additionally, the normal civilian method of succession is; schools hire their graduates to enhance the schools marketability. This strategy creates a cycle of turnover which fills the owner’s pockets with cash. Plus, students who provide a lot of that cash are sometimes rewarded with a job. An employer can’t hire everyone so, if a part-time pool is established, it more-then-likely will come from the same established graduate pool. Therefore, realistically, with no significant investment into the school and no “make & model” time, your chances are what they are..... Think of it this way….. The chances that a 1000hr R22 CFI can get an AH-64D spot is probably slim unless he/she goes through the process, -right? That same process exists on the civilian side as well, albeit a different process…….

Edited by Spike
  • Like 2

Being a part time helicopter CFI never panned out for me, even being in CA. I had plenty of side work for airplanes but the helicopter stuff was just as Spike described. And with that, i dont have not any Robbie time either, so that pretty much shot down any slivers of a chance. The schools seemed to barely be able to keep their full timers scheduled. The LAST thing they wanted was some part time guy coming in. Schools jusot dont seem to have "slack" that needs to be picked up that wouldnt be jumped on by a young CFI. Definitely make sure you have contacts before you go pay for 50hrs in Robbies jusy to make a few extra bucks on the weekends.

None of my friends who got out of the military had single pilot or even make and model time and we all got jobs. Employers don't care. It takes all of 2 weeks to get an aircraft sign off and you're ready for work. An R22 might take a little more time than a turbine for insurance purposes but it shouldn't be a problem.

Edited by Velocity173

None of my friends who got out of the military had single pilot or even make and model time and we all got jobs. Employers don't care. It takes all of 2 weeks to get an aircraft sign off and you're ready for work. An R22 might take a little more time than a turbine for insurance purposes but it shouldn't be a problem.

They all got jobs as part time primary instructors in R22/44 or S300?

They all got jobs as part time primary instructors in R22/44 or S300?

No. Pay isn't good enough for full time and they don't have enough spare time to do it part time. I was referring to other jobs that prefer type aircraft experience. Not a single of us had time in Astars, 407s, S76s, S92s etc.

With the change to the military IP to CFI requirement a few years ago, all skychief80 has to do is take the written. After that build enough hours (50) in the R22 to meet FAR / insurance requirements and with his total time he should be competitive.

I took it more along the lines of him being able to find a weekend CFI job in the south, not his ability to find a job after his military career is over. I was in the same position ( I was not a military pilot) . I did my CFI and was interested in teaching part time. But I didnt have any Robinson time. And the last thing I was going to do was go out and drop $10K just so I could pick up a couple lessons a month at the local school for $20 an hour. Even if I did have Robbie time, there wasnt enough business to keep the full timers busy. The last thing those guys wanted was a part time guy hanging out at the school competing for students when I already had a full time flying job. I will say though... I had plenty of offers to teach fixed wing on the side. But with helicopters, it was slim pickins' The big hurdle will be how Skychief is going to build the R time. Unless there are any 300C schools around Fort Rucker.

Skychief... do you have any airplane time? An idea..... the only it will take you to get your 50hrs of Robinson time, maybe sit down and crunch the numbers and see how far that money might get you towards your airplane add-ons. Just a thought.

Hmmm..... Im just brainstorming here so take it for what its worth....

Do your airplane CFI and ME CFI add on so you'll be a dual rated CFI. Maybe locate a school nearby that has both FW and RW and offer your services to whichever is needed. Put up some business cards or a flier at the local FBOs offering your services.

"Army AH64D IP, CFI A, CFI-H available for instruction, flight reviews, candle light dinners"

Plus, freelance FW work is generally fairly decent compared to RW. Get in the local circles and maybe something will come along on the helo side as people get to know you in the CFI circles. All the CFI work Ive done has all been freelance. Not affiliated with any schools. I charge my own negotiated rate, my student and I make our own schedule that works. I actually had a student who owned his own C172. His rate was that he treated me to lunch after every lesson. (Yeah... he was a friend. That wasnt my usual rate :D )

Your airplane and ME CFI add on will be a cake walk compared to a helo CFI initial. So you are getting your CFI-H with no money out of pocket. Before I would sink any money into R22 time that may be worth looking into.

Reading his post, I didn’t get the impression he was intending to drop 10 to 15K to build the necessary time to better posture himself for a PT R22 (make & model) CFI gig……. Moreover, his sentence, “I am interested in possible instructing part-time on the weekends with one of the local flight schools.” leads me to believe he was asking about a teaching job…

Edited by Spike