Supplemental Cockpit Lighting

I wanted to see what you guys use out there for supplemental cockpit lighting (NVG compatible). Everyone has their preference, but I wanted to query all of you to see what you use and why you like it. My solution works well but I wanted to get a backup, thus I'm willing to try something new.

I have a Petzl headlamp with a blue-green filter/lens that is a very solid performer. I get really good battery life and while it doesn't feel very solid, it has proven itself to be very durable. It's small and lightweight, so I'll just leave it hanging around my neck throughout the entirety of the flight.

I use those little diamond shaped keychain lights that they sell at the PX. Blue or green obviously. Small, cheap, more than bright enough (need to cover up the lens a bit if the battery is fresh), easy to clip in to your kneeboard or ALSE vest so it's convenient to use. I despise liplights and fingerlights and any other light I can't control independently of some other part of my body.

I use those little diamond shaped keychain lights that they sell at the PX. Blue or green obviously. Small, cheap, more than bright enough (need to cover up the lens a bit if the battery is fresh), easy to clip in to your kneeboard or ALSE vest so it's convenient to use. I despise liplights and fingerlights and any other light I can't control independently of some other part of my body.

I love my liplight! :)

Never got used to a finger light. Used a lip light mostly but even then just short bursts. Any blue LED type key chain will work fine as well.

I flew with guys who never brought personal suplimental lights. They pulled the utility light from the mount, wrapped the cord around their arm and used that.

I flew with guys who never brought personal suplimental lights. They pulled the utility light from the mount, wrapped the cord around their arm and used that.

That's actually my preferred method but since the thread was about supplemental lighting and it's UH-60 specific I left it out.

I use the map light in the Kiowa. I take it out of its mount and lay it over my shoulder.

Trivia question...What is that light called ?

I am thinking about getting a lip light.

I have a headband light for preflight,

A penlight in my bicep pocket,

a 2AA LED light on a lanyard around my neck,

and a red lens penlight clipped to the map case.

I also rigged a flexible neck penlight to my headset.

I lost my panel lights on a real dark night once, luckily it was clear and unlimited.

• 2 weeks later...

Depends on the aircraft.

I use a Petzl headlamp for preflight and start. Then I use a fingerlight primarily and the shine utility light on the collective. Liplights suck IMO. Have a couple flashlights as backups in different locations. And do lots of blind cockpit practice so you know your way around the cockpit.

• 2 weeks later...

I just use a cheap clip on green led light on my alse vest. I won it as a safety award like 5 years ago.

You won a safety award and used it to make you even safer ?

Where's the fun in that ?

Stay thirsty my friend !

• Like 1