Why do helicopter pilots sit in the right seat?

Tom22

Student and instructor sharing one collective!? So the student panics and pulls up while the instructor tries with all his might to push down,...who will win?

...and who gets the throttle? :blink:

Whoever has the best and quickest punch.

• Like 1

The early Bell 47's (47 B, B3, and D) were configured with two bucket seats and were on wheels. The decision to fly them from the right seat was made after several considerations. #1 The B3 and D had open cockpit configurations and if you flew them from the left side the collective hand was out in the slip stream, not good in cold weather. #2 Ease of access to the instrument panel with the left hand. #3 and least known. The wheeled landing gear had an oleo strut that fastened to the frame right behind the back of the left seat. Unlike today, Helicopter pilots were few and far between. In those days it was thought better to locate the pilot on the right side so that in the case of a hard landing it would lessen the chance of injury to the pilot.

In about 1951 Bell came out with the 47 D-1 . It was configured with a 3 place bench seat, skid landing gear and a full bubble with doors. At that time they moved the pilot over to the left side as the main concern was the passengers interfering with the collective.

Don't forget tandem seat helicopters.

And then there are drones.

If some had their way the only pilot seats would be in a radio trailer.

I almost forgot the rear facing seat...The skyhook/Tarhe.

edit add

Edited by aeroscout

If It's a Hoist Equipped Aircraft The PIC Generally Sits On The Side With The Hoist

Yes, that is true.

But whenever I post something on an internet forum, there's ALWAYS some smartass who has to post something contradictory.

hoist4_zpse2a81b8e.png

hoist3_zpsc6564efb.png

hoist2_zpsd2cccfb7.jpg

In about 1951 Bell came out with the 47 D-1 . It was configured with a 3 place bench seat, skid landing gear and a full bubble with doors. At that time they moved the pilot over to the left side as the main concern was the passengers interfering with the collective.

ummm, dunno about that... anyhow story I was told was - so that they could carry two passengers instead of one ! kinda like 300C vs CBi, Cbi is one passenger RH PIC, the C is LH PIC and 2 passenger.

With the bench seat the center passenger would be sitting in a position that would interfere with the collective had they flown it from the right side.

roger that, should have clarified what I was replying to - with RH PIC there is no center passenger !

same thing, different way of saying it i reckon.

Boatpix pilots in the 22 often fly from the left, while the "photographer" takes pictures from the right.

As long as the "photographer" is a rated R22 pilot.....I hope.

Boatpix pilots in the 22 often fly from the left, while the "photographer" takes pictures from the right.

As long as the "photographer" is a rated R22 pilot.....I hope.

Think about it.....

Why would the "photographer" need to be rated in this case?

Is there such a limitation in the TCDS, RFM, or SFAR?

Edited by iChris

Think about it.....

Why would the "photographer" need to be rated in this case?

Because if he's not a rated pilot then they wouldn't be able to charge him to be the "photographer" while logging it as flight time! That's like asking why do you need to be a CFI to get "hired" on with a company who's primary business is photo flying! :rolleyes: :lol:

Because if he's not a rated pilot then they wouldn't be able to charge him to be the "photographer" while logging it as flight time! That's like asking why do you need to be a CFI to get "hired" on with a company who's primary business is photo flying! :rolleyes: :lol:

Haven't heard much from those folks lately. Maybe they're not doing so well ?