Ipads during flight school

I'm pretty sure ipads are allowed to use during flight school, correct? If so, are there spec requirements? Can they be full size, or do they have to be mini? Do they have to be Apple, or can they be other brand tablets?

I'm trying to justify to my wife that I need a new Ipad.

I've had a couple students say they have used it in 67 for flight? Maybe it just depends on instructor. Brackac, no I have zero experience in 64s. Only in my dreams.I'm as newb as it comes. Awaiting sere. But christmas season and spending money season etc. I was trying to justify a new ipad.

Any 64 drivers out there? Does a full size ipad fit in the cockpit? I have been told now that they fit in 47 and 60s not in 67s.

Fit in the cockpit? The STACOM for Ipads is ridiculous. I have a multi screen integrated cockpit. We mostly use IPADs for pubs.

Edited by akscott60

Rucker has recently changed the SOP to allow iPads for use with pubs in the aircraft. Basically you can have a digital version of the pubs and not have to carry your FTG or supplement to the aircraft everyday. As for any other use. Forget it. Not in primary. When I get to the 64 course I might have more but for now I'm gonna say probably just an over expensive set of notecards

I think the biggest benefit from iPads is outside the cockpit. You can have your entire pubs library with you all the time. I don't have one and end up having to search on all the bookshelves whenever I want to look something up in the SOP or the .126 .

I've done some cool stuff with an iPad in flight but it was in a Piper Seneca with some features that we will never have in our Army birds.

What kind of stuff, Buzzkill? I'm starting my fixed wing training soon, and the Seneca will be aircraft for commercial AMEL training (after my...instrument training... God, that doesn't make any sense to me, but whatever)

I was thinking about grabbing a mini. I've got a full size, but the screen is cracked, and it's 3+ years old; it could use the upgrade. I'm a HUGE fan of foreflight.

What kind of stuff, Buzzkill? I'm starting my fixed wing training soon, and the Seneca will be aircraft for commercial AMEL training (after my...instrument training... God, that doesn't make any sense to me, but whatever)

I was thinking about grabbing a mini. I've got a full size, but the screen is cracked, and it's 3+ years old; it could use the upgrade. I'm a HUGE fan of foreflight.

We used ForeFlight with the Stratus ADS-B receiver which was wicked cool. We had a Garmin 530 in the panel but the iPad was so much more user friendly. We also built the Seneca charts into ForeFlight and were able to do all our weight and balance calculations on there. Oh and we did all of our flight plans and filing on ForeFlight as well. Really cool how easy it was. I'm sure there was a ton of other stuff we were able to do but it was the only time I've used ForeFlight so I'm not that familiar with it all.