JAN WOFT SELECTION RESULTS

On 1/17/2020 at 2:49 AM, Axesteel said:

Not upset at all, actually it was a learning point. Trying to make this post to inform thats its almost fruitless to do highschool to flight school and waste about a year or 2 trying if you have nothing under your belt.

Not true at all.  I can name six guys off the top of my head that were accepted before they even graduated high school.  Shipped to basic the July following graduation.  Its about how you can explain why you will be a benefit to the Army.  Also, it ebbs and flows for selection rates.  For about 2-3 years it was 100% pickup on the civilian side of the house.

I know how to get you selected for flight training with 100% guaranteed chance of acceptance...enlist. Enlist, apply WOFT get accepted cool (your a pilot), dont get accepted apply for a civilian school (you will get accepted and oh your a pilot now). Enlisting will 100% get you in the air no matter how you slice it but if your applying civilian WOFT, beef your packet up. Remember guys, WOFT is not the only way for free flight training. Ill keep saying this, the Army will get you in the air on the controls of a flying machine thats not suppose to be flying. 

I know this is anecdotal, so take it for what it's worth. 

I am currently in Honors on hold. (WOBC starts next week.)

I can't speak for current selection rates, but I can tell you that right now there is a significant amount of non-prior service flight students. (Maybe a 1:3 ratio) Furthermore most of the prior-service students were E5 and below, mid to late twenties, with not much post-secondary education.  Most of the civilian applicants were around the same age group, but with college education, flight time, etc.  Comparing street-to-seat and prior-service is almost like comparing apples to oranges, but it appears to me that overall the street-to-seat students are more qualified on paper. (Education, flight time, etc.) 

Regarding the choice to go 15T: If I can make a suggestion, don't give up on going street-to-seat.  The earlier you can get into the program, the better.  Myself and several of my battle buddies were picked up on the lower end of the average qualifications simply because we had some factor that made us stand out.  If you can find something to set yourself apart for the board, then I would give it a shot before enlisting.  If you fall short, see where you land in comparison to the other applicants.  At that point, you can go into the Army as 15T, and try again knowing exactly what you need to improve on.  

However, because the boards are completely separate between the two, what they look for could be different.  I can't speak for the Army board.  

• Like 1