ARNG and Airline Pilot

BLUF: Looking for advice on the most effective and cost efficient route to go through ARNG flight school AND become an airline pilot. Should I try to get my ATP before or after IERW?

My background: USMC Comms Officer (0602) about to EAS. I've always wanted to fly and had a flight contract in the Marines, but got "needs of the Marine Corps"ed into a ground contract. 

I've been working with the MT ARNG and will get boarded for a flight slot in June. I'm working on the assumption I'll get selected. I do want to fly military, but have recently been looking at airlines and the eventual paycheck and benefits are very enticing. 

ATP flight school has a fast track where I could get into a regional airline cockpit within 9 months, so I could theoretically get through that flight school and start getting airline hours before I even ship to Ft Rucker. 

However, from what I understand, IERW gets you an FAA commercial rating which means my PPL course would be waived if I waited to start the airline course until after IERW which would save me about $6k. Plus some the IERW flight hours would count towards airline course hours. Plus it looks like some airlines (Horizon in particular) offer incentives for helicopter rated pilots. 

Anyone with experience out there??

I'm a NG RLO and Regional FO.

If ATP flight school is associated with it, I can guarantee you it's not the most cost effective route. You may want to check the program you're looking at. It's probably a "zero to hero" program that gets you all your ratings up to CFII/MEI in 9 months, not to ATP mins and in a 121 cockpit. It will probably get you to the neighborhood of 250-350 hours then you'll have to flight instruct your way up to 1,500. Graduating from a military flight training program lessens that to 750 hours.

If it were me, I'd get on with a unit and get through flight school. Once you graduate, take another look and re-evalute what's being offered. RTP programs may be spun back up by then and you may not have to pay anything to get your ratings. I'm sure you have the GI Bill which will decrease any costs even further. If you're looking at NG aviation I wouldn't worry about trying to do anything prior to hearing back from the board.

Fast tracking to the airlines is going to take 100% of your time, and army flight school will hold you back.  If you want to be an Army Aviator so be it, but understand that it will significantly slow down your progression to the airlines.

If you really want to do both, start working on your airplane ratings and time building now.  Do not wait for RTPs to come back and definitely don’t plan on them for your ratings.  

Edited by SBuzzkill

5 minutes ago, nil5038 said:

And are they still guna ask for two extra years of your life but for 1,000$ now?

It's only extra if you're already outside of another ADSO. It runs concurrently so anything you do prior to the last two years of the initial ADSO doesn't increase your obligation. 

• 1 month later...

If your goal is to fly for an airline then I highly recommend flying for the Air Force Reserve or Guard and fly a fixed-wing. You will have the flexibility to work full-time/part-time at your unit. I am about to finish up UPT2.5 here at Vance got about 150hrs between the T6s and T1s. I was an 0602 in the Corps myself and punched out in 2020. 

I wrote an article regarding inter service transfer on BogiDope so check it out if you have time. 

https://bogidope.com/rated/inter-service-transfer/#Conditional Release Approval

So...

I'm going about this sort of the opposite way and that's purely from a "play the system" game with the airlines. At the airlines, seniority is everything. I want to serve, and I want to fly helicopters. Ideally in the next 5 to 6 years I will be accepted at my *retirement* airline after a few years at a regional or some special 121 like Amentum. If Fedex/Delta/Southwest etc interviews me and offers a class date I'm going to be looking at rushing various guard and reserve units so I can guarantee myself a helicopter slot in a specific area. It'll take 2+ years to go through the training pipeline and you're not missing much money your 1st year at any airline, much less holding a stable line, and they have to keep your seniority number active.

On 5/25/2021 at 5:04 PM, zaurus said:

06Butters

What is your reasoning in not going AF Res or AF ANG for fixed wing? Fixed wing time is most preferred in airline hiring. 

I talked to an ANG recruiter and he gave me some vague rambling answer that boiled down to they don't want prior USMC commissioned officers. Gave me a really weird gut feeling to be convinced to NOT join rather than vice versa. Plus the age limit is 30, I'm almost 31, and I know slots are competitive, so I'd likely have to join a unit, get a waiver, and fight for a few years even to get the chance at a flight slot. 

• 1 month later...