13 replies to this topic

#1 CP2920

CP2920

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 14 August 2018 - 11:15

Hi folks, 

What have been the recent trends in terms of OCONUS duty stations for Warrants? 

S&S, as of 2016, outlines these OCONUS stations:

https://www.stripes....ations-1.132231

I'm assuming not all of these stations host aviation units, so what are some of the OCONUS stations recent flight school graduates are being sent to?  

Reading online it looks like Italy and Germany are getting smaller, and Korea is changing with the transition from Yongsan to Humphreys. 

In addition, does the OML play a part in soldier's getting their pick in terms of duty stations? 

Thank you. 

#2 adriel0491

adriel0491

VR Veteran Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 15 August 2018 - 17:56

Korea! we are all going to Korea!
  • wheelsup and ByteFlighter like this

#3 Nic.kirkland

Nic.kirkland

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 15 August 2018 - 18:04

The only OCONUS flying aviation units are:

Germany (1 permanent super GSAB)

Korea (CAB)

Japan (small detachment, I believe 3-5 UH-60s)

Sinai (Company sized detachment of UH-60s)

Honduras (GSAB)

#4 kona4breakfast

kona4breakfast

VR Veteran Poster

• VR Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 147 posts

Posted 15 August 2018 - 23:52

You forgot Fort Wainwright (GSAB and ARB), SHAPE (VIP, not that a newb would go there), and I thought Italy had a few (Med Det deployed forward from Germany IIRC), and possibly Japan as well (also VIP).

Edited by kona4breakfast, 16 August 2018 - 00:02.

I told my mom I wanted to be a pilot when I grew up.  She told me I couldn't do both.

#5 Thedude

Thedude

VR Veteran Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 189 posts

Posted 16 August 2018 - 00:50

Hawaii as well, with an ARS, GSAB and assault battalion.

#6 dirtyfoot

dirtyfoot

VR Veteran Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 19 August 2018 - 06:07

Got Distinguished Honor Grad. HRC rewarded me with orders to the last duty station I'd ever want. 

In addition, does the OML play a part in soldier's getting their pick in terms of duty stations? 

• ByteFlighter likes this

#7 CP2920

CP2920

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 20 August 2018 - 14:39

And to follow up, is it likely that someone fresh out of flight school would be able to get a OCONUS duty station? Is there a system where students can trade assignments? If two soldiers are qualified on the same airframe, would they be able to swap? 

I understand there are limited "newbie" slots, and often times your first duty station will be in one of the major CONUS stations. 

Got Distinguished Honor Grad. HRC rewarded me with orders to the last duty station I'd ever want. 

Dirtyfoot--Sorry to hear. Seems like OML probably doesn't apply to duty stations, just airframe selection? 

#8 ByteFlighter

ByteFlighter

VR Veteran Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 223 posts
  • Company working for:The Big Green Weenie

Posted 20 August 2018 - 14:44

And to follow up, is it likely that someone fresh out of flight school would be able to get a OCONUS duty station? Is there a system where students can trade assignments? If two soldiers are qualified on the same airframe, would they be able to swap? 

I understand there are limited "newbie" slots, and often times your first duty station will be in one of the major CONUS stations. 

Dirtyfoot--Sorry to hear. Seems like OML probably doesn't apply to duty stations, just airframe selection? 

I honestly think HRC has a giant dart board to sort out duty stations for Pilots.

• Tradewinds and Thedude like this

#9 Tradewinds

Tradewinds

VR Veteran Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 323 posts

Posted 20 August 2018 - 14:50

Both of my sons were sent to Hawaii out of flight school, 5 went from my older son's class and 3 from my younger son's.

#10 BM1

BM1

VR Veteran Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 148 posts

Posted 20 August 2018 - 19:47

If you ask for Korea youll get Korea. I like it here and I havent been away from my house or family for more than a ten day stretch 3 times a year here. If you think of it as a deployment optempo but you get to see you kids everynight it makes it worth it.

#11 ByteFlighter

ByteFlighter

VR Veteran Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 223 posts
  • Company working for:The Big Green Weenie

Posted 20 August 2018 - 20:31

Both of my sons were sent to Hawaii out of flight school, 5 went from my older son's class and 3 from my younger son's.

were they in the UH60?

#12 Thedude

Thedude

VR Veteran Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 189 posts

Posted 20 August 2018 - 20:36

If you ask for Korea youll get Korea. I like it here and I havent been away from my house or family for more than a ten day stretch 3 times a year here. If you think of it as a deployment optempo but you get to see you kids everynight it makes it worth it.

I requested Korea out of flight school and a few friends did as well. None of us got it.

#13 Creep0321

Creep0321

VR Veteran Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 730 posts

Posted 21 August 2018 - 00:18

Yes you can/will get OCONUS post flight school. I have seen a few people try to swap, the only one I saw that was successful, one had kids from a previous marriage in Germany, so he was able to swap Honduras for Germany.

Swift, Silent, Deadly.

#14 kona4breakfast

kona4breakfast

VR Veteran Poster

• VR Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 147 posts

Posted 21 August 2018 - 13:24

Yes you can/will get OCONUS post flight school. I have seen a few people try to swap, the only one I saw that was successful, one had kids from a previous marriage in Germany, so he was able to swap Honduras for Germany.

I would've gone w/ Hondo tbh

• Creep0321 likes this
I told my mom I wanted to be a pilot when I grew up.  She told me I couldn't do both.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

MaunaLoaVRHome200PrecisionVRForumHome200HeliHelmets-VR HomeSpectrum_VRHome200Genesys VR Forum 200BE_VRHome200NFCVRForum200Home