How to land a helicopter.

thrilsekr

Kinda interesting read, heck makes it sound easy.

Of course it fails to mention that after you loose the pilot, you'll have just how long to sort everything out before you're fubar.

But trying to fly it down sounds a lot better than just sitting there screaming all way to the yardsale.

Ha Ha oh man that would be scary, I like how they make it seem sort of easy. Hopefully no one is ever put in that position. I'm not going to lie, if I was put in that position with no heil experience I’d probably crash.

I would think the passenger with no heli experience would defiantly have a bad case of over controlling when lowering and raising the collective then trying to correct for yaw with the pedals, I just picture the heli spinning out of control :o

Interesting article hope it works for some put in that position.

I thought it was a fairly decent write up to give the ultimate basics to someone who has no idea in an emergency situation. It definitely leaves a lot out. Is it actually going to help someone? Probably not, but everyone deserves a fighting chance. I would rather go down kicking and screaming, rather than just screaming.

Just thought it was pertinent following the recent rash of bird strikes.

I knew some of you would get a kick out of it, and some would hate it. Either way... Now you know how to land a helicopter. You are welcome.

Well, better to die trying than to just die screaming...

This would get so messy so quick, but I'm with Pogue here. Rather die trying than whining.

Goldy

Rather die trying than whining.

Goldy

Nicely put.

Am I the only dork here who remembers the old Monty Python skit where they showed you how to do things in about 10 seconds? I just remember Eric Idle dressed up as a woman explaining that you play the flute "by blowing in this hole here and moving your fingers up and down on these bits." It all sounds simple, in theory.

Edited by Hovergirl

AND I SPENT how much learning, "Dam" got it wrong again.

I agree at least try to fly the thing, you wont be thinking of death on the way down, to busy reading :lol: :lol: :lol:

If I wasn't a pilot, I would probably think it was a good article for a last ditch effort. Still probably better than nothing. Either way, By the time you got the pilot off of the controls, that thing would be so far gone, it would be hard for someone with some time in the ACFT to recover. But hey, if it makes customers more comfortable booking a tour.... $$$

Rather than die trying or screaming all the way down, I would just hope that some hot girl HAPPENED to have booked the same tour and sat next to me...hint hint. HAHA :D

You would have to be faster than a minuteman... That scenario would only work if you were over the Pacific, on a jet that had a total flameout... at night. :lol:

If I wasn't a pilot, I would probably think it was a good article for a last ditch effort. Still probably better than nothing. Either way, By the time you got the pilot off of the controls, that thing would be so far gone, it would be hard for someone with some time in the ACFT to recover. But hey, if it makes customers more comfortable booking a tour.... $$$

https://safety.army.mil/awardsprogram/RECIP...wSmithandNaquin

That's pretty amazing. Good thing they were't flying low!!!

Some of those Broken Wing stories are pretty amazing, aren't they?

J-

I don't think you're going to find any Part 135 operations that fly pax with duals installed. It's just not done. You're going to die with or without the duals, but without them it's absolutely certain. I've been flying for a long time, but I doubt I could successfully land (success meaning not dying) a helicopter from the left seat using the controls on the right, with an incapacitated pilot there. I would certainly try, but a successful outcome would be greatly in doubt. Immediate autorotation would be the only possible choice. Anyone who needed the instructions would die without any doubt.