Turbine time??

Hey all, im band new to the forum and recently decided to pursue my goal to become a pilot and im currently looking for a school, i believe im going to go to Helicopter Academy. i live down in panama city beach fl and i wouldnt have to move to attend their academy. first off, any opinions about this academy? and also know that i already have all my traning paid for through a gov't program so money is not an issue. any other schools you can reccomand? also lets say i went to helicopter academy and graduated. how would i go about getting turbine experience? I have noticed a lot of jobs require you have some. should i attend a school that offers it? If so, school suggestions there?

Turbine time won't help you until you have at least 1200TT, and even then you'll need around 300-500hrs of it, so don't waste your money. When you have around 1000TT you can go to Temsco, or Papillon, where they will cover the cost of your turbine training. :blink:

Butters is pretty much correct about getting turbine time. The only thing I'd add is that the GOM operators are the other place 1200-hr pilots go for their turbine transition.

The bonus about Helicopter Academy is that their students are placed in a time building program doing aerial photography. That'll get you all or most of the way to 1200 hours. I know the owner and have talked to a few others about HA, so you can PM me with questions. Any other school you'll go to will probably mean taking a shot a flight instructor job, and there are plenty of threads on this forum about that.

Welcome to Vertical Reference.

how would i go about getting turbine experience?

1. Buy a turbine helicopter

2. Find someone who owns a turbine ship and become his best friend.

3. Pay $800 an hour for some turbine training

4. Pay $200 an hour for some turbine training while someone else is making money doing traffic reports.

5. Do it like everyone else. Get your CFI, get 300 hours, start teaching. Network the heck out of yourself, attend every HAI event like your life depended on it. At some point you get a job and they teach you and pay you for the privilege.

Which one sounds best for you?

4. Pay $200 an hour for some turbine training while someone else is making money doing traffic reports.

5. Do it like everyone else. Get your CFI, get 300 hours, start teaching. Network the heck out of yourself, attend every HAI event like your life depended on it. At some point you get a job and they teach you and pay you for the privilege.

Number 1, duh! :D :D

this sounded a little like a joke cuz Goldy is a funny guy, but it's actually some of the best advice you can get. in fact, if you have a long term goal outline you could just cut and paste.

if you don't have a personal business plan, or at least a printed goal outline, take the time to do so.. put it on the wall at look at it daily..

dp

Started with 2 then 3 and progressed to 1 (now broke!! me that is, helps to have an understanding wife) but its worth every hour.

Goldy have you flown the 500 yet ?? we are looking to go to a 520 if we can do a deal & sell the present machine.

For up and coming pilots, I suggest a formal Turbine Transition Ground school on at least the Rolls Royce 250 Series Engines. I have taught this for many years and trained both 91, 135 and CFIs this course.

Ground School courses are not that expensive and give a pilot great insight into Turbine Helo Ops. You might be one up on the next guy if you are at least Ground Trained!

I will talk with Dennis about offering one at CHOs!

Be Safe, MikeMV

Goldy have you flown the 500 yet ?? we are looking to go to a 520 if we can do a deal & sell the present machine.

I am so embarrassed to say no. I have NO 500 time! What the heck is wrong with me? I've had several offers from people to come fly with them in a 500, it just never works out. Busy schedule on my part is the real problem.

Some day I'll retire and get plenty of 500 time!

Goldy

this sounded a little like a joke cuz Goldy is a funny guy, but it's actually some of the best advice you can get. in fact, if you have a long term goal outline you could just cut and paste.

if you don't have a personal business plan, or at least a printed goal outline, take the time to do so.. put it on the wall at look at it daily..

dp

Yes, some days I try to bury the truth behind some sarcasm. But the truth is there if you read deep !

Goldy

Hey all, im band new to the forum and recently decided to pursue my goal to become a pilot and im currently looking for a school, i believe im going to go to Helicopter Academy. i live down in panama city beach fl and i wouldnt have to move to attend their academy. first off, any opinions about this academy? and also know that i already have all my traning paid for through a gov't program so money is not an issue. any other schools you can reccomand? also lets say i went to helicopter academy and graduated. how would i go about getting turbine experience? I have noticed a lot of jobs require you have some. should i attend a school that offers it? If so, school suggestions there?

this is my first day as a member on this board, i have been interested in helicopters for a while now and am getting fed up with my life the way it is and want to pursue a commercial license.

since i have no money to start with, can i ask you... HOW IN THE HELL DID YOU GET THE GOV TO PAY FOR THE WHOLE THING??? as i am broke and need to start taking actions to achieve my goal i will definately need to look at government grants. i don't mean to be rude here but, if you wouldn't mind emailing me about your gov fundage it would be greatly appreciated! it may not apply to me but i have to start somewhere.

this is my first day as a member on this board, i have been interested in helicopters for a while now and am getting fed up with my life the way it is and want to pursue a commercial license.

since i have no money to start with, can i ask you... HOW IN THE HELL DID YOU GET THE GOV TO PAY FOR THE WHOLE THING??? as i am broke and need to start taking actions to achieve my goal i will definately need to look at government grants. i don't mean to be rude here but, if you wouldn't mind emailing me about your gov fundage it would be greatly appreciated! it may not apply to me but i have to start somewhere.

Well, i guess for me i was fortunate....IF you wanna call it that. When i was a junior in high school i found out i had scoliosis. not fun, but i had 3 rods put in my back. and now because of that im considered "Disabled". so i qualified for a gov't program called Vocational Rehabilitation. they pay for college/any kind of triaining as long as your mentally able to learn the material and physically able to do the job your training for. depending on how severe your disability is, depends on how much they will cover. my sugury put me in line for full funding. they even offered to pay for my rent while in college if i lived more than 30 miles from the school i chose to go to. and they accept ANY kind of disability. so look into f you can. the program varies from state to state so i cant really tell you much more than that. other than i called them 2 weeks ago and specifically asked them if they would cover flight training for helos and they do ! Hope this helped.

I did the same thing. I went thru Washington State's DSHS DVR program and they paid for the whole thing. I moved to Idaho to do the training and they paid for all my training and for my Apt that I stayed in. Just under $70,000.00 for all including the Apt rent. Good luck.

Steve

.... or, the longer and less painful way is to join the military and use the VA benefits when you get out, or try to be a pilot in the military.

Unless you get shot in the neck

or end up in the Navy, where unspeakable things happen to cute boys

or like it so much you stay in for 30 years

etc

etc

Well, i guess for me i was fortunate....IF you wanna call it that. When i was a junior in high school i found out i had scoliosis. not fun, but i had 3 rods put in my back. and now because of that im considered "Disabled". so i qualified for a gov't program called Vocational Rehabilitation. they pay for college/any kind of triaining as long as your mentally able to learn the material and physically able to do the job your training for. depending on how severe your disability is, depends on how much they will cover. my sugury put me in line for full funding. they even offered to pay for my rent while in college if i lived more than 30 miles from the school i chose to go to. and they accept ANY kind of disability. so look into f you can. the program varies from state to state so i cant really tell you much more than that. other than i called them 2 weeks ago and specifically asked them if they would cover flight training for helos and they do ! Hope this helped.

Call me crazy, but back problems and helicopters don't mix...