Intro, Chances for WOFT, Updates

How was it hill? Did using the arco practice tests help? How close were they? Any questions that stood out and you were like wtf was the answer for that? Johnny 5 need input!!! Lol ok movie quote of the day completed...

Nice AFAST score DHill!

Went to MEPS again today, had my psych consult, then they sent me home because the results weren't ready. At least I don't have to go back unless I'm enlisting. They asked me all kinds of strange questions, "Since your a middle-child do you feel lost/neglected?", "Do you hear voices that other people don't?", "Can you count backwards from 20 by multiples of 3?" "Ever do drugs?" Stuff like that. Not too bad. The girl I went in there with, her Father recently committed suicide. She was done super quick with the interview, and I ended up buying her some lunch in Brooklyn after I heard her story.

On a good note, everything is starting to come together, packet wise. Still waiting on my volunteer firefighter application.

I have a flight lesson tomorrow. I'm thinking log like 5 hrs of ground school and 5 hrs flight time in an R-22. Should I do more ground school, and less flight time, or does neither matter much?

Also Applying for NJ State Police, made it past the first round. Figure it couldn't hurt, and I don't think "Currently Unemployed" looks too good on a WOFT application.

United, that's good news. Keep on keeping on. Did they ever talk to your about your moral waiver/background at MEPS? You mentioned some sort of interview about it raising red flags a few posts ago...

Thanks. I had to meet with a shrink because of my tickets/arrests. I guess they wanted to make sure I'm not a basket case.They asked me if I ever got arrested/got tickets. I explained them, they documented them. That was basically it. No mention of a moral waiver from them.

Thanks again guys. For the AFAST, if you study the Arco you will be fine. Same exact questions pretty much except the mechanical comprehension is WAY easier and the cyclic movements have you inside a helicopter cockpit. It was easy.

Thank you hill that helps a ton

Who f*cking knows. Hopefully not. That would suck, especially since you scored so high. It will be better than most. I should know, I got a 150 :P

However my WOCS roomate got something like a 162. :blink:

• Like 1

Got some simulator time today for 100$ an hour since CFI said too windy to fly. Panzy. Neadless to say I busted the tower in the simulator, just like Tom Cruise.....Toms' my hero.... (LOLLLL) Joke..

Same some nice Choppers up at the Airport, and British Royal Air Force landed a big ol' 4 engine plane there...interesting to watch.

You Gentlemen think I should buy up this GSX-R 1000 with 165 rwhp? The wannabe O in me says don't be an idiot, but the adrenaline junkie in me says "Don't be a P*****"

Edit: Overzealous posting technique

Anyone who got above a 144 on the AFAST is an overachiever cheating parents never gave them enough attention sunovab*tch! :angry:

Got some simulator time today for 100$ an hour since CFI said too windy to fly. Panzy. Neadless to say I busted the tower in the simulator, just like Tom Cruise.....Toms' my hero.... (LOLLLL) I like to joke, they say sarcastic a**h*les have high IQ's, lets hope that the case..

Same some nice Choppers up at the Airport, and British Royal Air Force landed a big ol' 4 engine plane there...interesting to watch. F*ckin Brits

You Gentlemen think I should buy up this GSX-R 1000 with 165 rwhp? The wannabe O in me says don't be an idiot, but the adrenaline junkie in me says "Don't be a P*****"

Do you think before you put your fingers to plastic?

• Like 1

I'll say this. Don't be an idiot, buy the bike, take it to the track, and enjoy life.

I'm still waiting to visit meps. ughh.

I feel your pain. I still got 2 more trips to the MEPS left.

Do you think before you put your fingers to plastic?

My apologies Sir. Don't drink and post kids! Btw, I didn't mean any harm about the AFAST, I was unsuccessfully attempting to be humorous. (Puts foot back in mouth) :D

EDIT: Was out with some friends the other night, one of which is a Crew Chief in the Marines. Apparently you can enlist directly into the CC MOS. Is this considered an OK route to get to Flight School if not picked up for WOFT, or is it better to stick with Army enlisted and risk being maintenance? I guess if one were to do that they mine as well try to fly Cobras.

Good guy, he was telling me stories how the Pilots made him do beer runs, and they let him try to fly the CH-46 sometimes.

Apparently you can enlist directly into the CC MOS. Is this considered an OK route to get to Flight School if not picked up for WOFT, or is it better to stick with Army enlisted and risk being maintenance? I guess if one were to do that they mine as well try to fly Cobras.

Stick with the Army. Marine aircrew don't have have as much as say in the platforms as the pilots do. You could end up in anything from a CH-53E to a MV-22. Cobras don't have crew chiefs. It's a completely different world from what you would experience in the Army and also a longer time for you to actually get into the cockpit.

It depends on when you're trying to take it. You will have block leave which is when most people take leave.

Care to elaborate on the work life balance Gentlemen? For most corporate jobs in the private sector, you can expect to work 50-60 hours a week, with vacation being approved if requested 3+ months in advance, and fairly autonomosly. Do Army aviators work more/less than 50-60 hours? Friday's off in garrison, every national holiday off, lots of autonomy, etc..Basically, for other prospective WO's and myself, whats the real deal on being an Army chopper Pilot? Thank you all.

Do Army aviators work more/less than 50-60 hours?

It depends. Some weeks you will work way more than that, other weeks you will work less. The end of my day comes when it comes. If I'm not flying I start my day with 0730 PT and I'm usually done by 1600. When flying, it all depends because you may fly in the morning, in the evening, at midnight, in the wee hours of the morning, etc.

Friday's off in garrison, every national holiday off, lots of autonomy, etc..

Yes if it's a holiday. Pretty much. Yes for the most part.

Basically, for other prospective WO's and myself, whats the real deal on being an Army chopper Pilot?

The real deal is that you are an aviator. I know they say all the stuff about being a soldier first but the reality of it is that your job is to be a combat aviator. You will have other responsibilities because of the limited number of people in an aviation company, but your focus should always be on making yourself a better aviator. It can be hard to divide your time accordingly, but that's the job. It can get boring around the office during the weeks you aren't flying, but take those boring times as opportunities to learn your job. Go to the hangar and do parts and pieces, sit in the office and read over the manuals, as the PCs questions about TTPs, etc.

Others will weigh in here, but it's difficult to describe the whole "day to day" thing simply because no two days are the same. Some days you will study all day, other days you'll be busy running around doing your additional duties. Other days will be completely filled with formations and uniform inspections. Some days you'll be flying. Etc.

Edited by SBuzzkill
  • Like 1

can someone post me the links to the fy11 civilian vs enlisted selection ratio please. told my new recruiter about it and they were stumped trying to find it and prove me wrong lol

Thanks for the info SBuzzkill.

I have to get my ears cleaned and fax results to MEPS, strange request I thought. Psychiatric consult came back good.

Bought the modded gsx-r 1000 yesterday, that thing is fast! Going to try to be responsible and take it to the track.

Still hunting for a CW for my last LOR, I have 6 of em now, but only one is a green suiter.

• 2 weeks later...

I can see how being in Aviation would help, and if my waiver gets denied I may go that route.

However, It seems 15U and 15T require 6 years Active Duty, I guess because there is technical training, I did not know that.

Anyone know a real good brand of suit for the interview? I was thinking of going flashy super modern slim-fit, but realistically a conservative CalvinKlein dark-blue suit, w/ light blue shirt + gold/blue/red tie w/ a little pattern would be better, no?.

Want to show a little personality but not over the top. Holla.

EDIT: I was at MEPS and they were trying to scare everyone, threatening jail time, etc.. This kid raises his hand and was like "What If I smoked Marjiua..." Everyone was like STFU! Even the Lieutenant was like, dude!

I had to sign up for min 6 years for 25B (IT nerd)... Army wants to make sure it's worth training your butt >.<