First Duty Assignment Questions

At what stage of flight training do you get your first duty assignment and how much input do you get into it? Do you get a list to pick from based on OML or just branch manager just sends you needs of the Army?

Background is that me and my spouse (recently selected for WOFT and currently in BCT) are dual military and I’ve just received my list of possible assignments. I am trying to select an assignment that would facilitate both of us being at the same duty location. Yes, we are enrolled in the MACP, but that is not a guarantee of us being at the same location. My choices are Campbell, Bragg, Hood, Lewis, Hunter AAF. It seems to me that any of these that I select have the potential to be his first duty assignment. Is my assessment accurate?

Does anyone have any experience at these locations? Any place to try and stay away from?

Last question, some of these are locations where you can do the 2nd phase aircraft specific training. What is the current opportunity for that? How do they determine who stays at Rucker for that phase or who goes to another location?

Thank you in advance for any input.

• Like 1

You'll receive your assignment during your airframe specific training as this is your last phase. There is an OML however don't put too much value in that. Your first assignment is primarily based on needs. As for the 2nd phase A/C training, all your training is done at Rucker. I have never heard of anyone leaving Rucker without being flight school complete, that is unless you fail out

My choices are Campbell, Bragg, Hood, Lewis, Hunter AAF. It seems to me that any of these that I select have the potential to be his first duty assignment. Is my assessment accurate?

If you are going strictly on where he might get stationed, my order would be

Bragg

Campbell

Hood

Lewis

Hunter (and not really even a consideration)

That is based solely upon my assessment of the size of the duty station vs. the airframes they have at those locations, i.e. Bragg is large and has all of the major airframes in good number. If you get stationed there it is easier for them to find a newbie slot.

I stated that Hunter is not really even a consideration because very few get stationed there right out of flight school. Banking on that duty station will likely mean a forced time apart. Any of the top three (Bragg, Campbell, or Hood) will give you a decent shot.

Thank you. Yesterday I was thinking Campbell as my #1, then today I started thinking Hunter. Guess I will go back to Campbell.

They shouldn't call MACP a program, they should call it a gamble. Anyone heard any stories good or bad about being MACP in Aviation?

From HRC in regards to length of assignment:

Expected Tour Lengths:

Non-flying TDA Assignments 2 YRS

Flying TDA Assignments 2-3 YRS

ME TDA Assignments 2-4 YRS

Operational (CAB) Assignments Minimum 3 YRS Maximum 5 YRS

Back to Back TDA assignments may be detrimental to career management and will be avoided whenever possible.

LUH

LUH Assignment will be 3 YRS, Back to Back TDA assignments may be detrimental to career management and will be avoided whenever possible.

Sorry, I am not familiar with the aviation lingo, so I have to ask what are TDA and LUH assignments?

This is slightly confusing to me. You are saying that TDA and LUH are non-deployable? So this is very obviously less desirable. Most desirable is to be in a unit where you have maximum opportunity to train and deploy. So what is this optimal unit you want to end up in to be completely operational and deployable?

Yes. In aviation, examples of TDA units would be the VIP unit at Ft Belvoir, the OCs at JRTC/Ft Polk, the Ranger support company at Ft Benning, pretty much any training/instructor job at Ft Rucker, and anywhere that flies the LUH. Assignments like Honduras and Korea are also considered TDA units. It's effectively become another way of saying "nondeployable" but if you want the full definition and history, here's a good link: http://www.history.army.mil/html/forcestruc/tda-ip.html

It may be more desirable or maybe not. If you have a family and you're coming back from your 4th straight deployment with the 101st you might to go to a TDA unit for some time at home. Some people spend most of their careers in TDA units because they don't like deploying and they're good enough at working the system to get away with it. But you're right, it's probably not the best assignment if you're fresh out of flight school and looking to advance your career. The optimal operational unit for deploying is clearly Ft Campbell. Some might say Bragg, but they're wrong and they're probably just jealous that the 101st is the best.

• Like 1

Why the hell would you join the Army if not to train and deploy? No matter what your rank, job, position, branch that is what we do. That being said, I do also know many individuals that work the system so as not to deploy, they are plentiful in the Army. Currently, with the drawdown, I am aware that there may not be as many deployment opportunities. We are returning to a "garrison Army" is what I'm being told. That doesn't mean we still don't train for war and the culminating event will be NTC/JRTC. So Campbell and Bragg will be best options for that? What about Hood and any others?

• Like 1

Why is TDA less desirable? Nothing really going on in Afghanistan these days and odds are your husband isn't going there anyway. If he's LUH he definitely won't be going there. Just enjoy the stability of staying home. There are still plenty of FTXs for TDA units anyway.

If he's LUH there aren't many choices. My friend was married and LUH and went to West Point. The Army does try and keep you both together but LUH is a bit restrictive. Your pretty much stuck with the States, if that's what you want.

LUH won't affect career either. He'll get promoted just like everyone else. I know guys who never did a single deployment who got promoted along with all of us with multiple deployments. As long as he keeps a clean record, tracks and attends the Advanced Course he should be good. Promotions are pretty weak across the board right now but that will change in a few years.

Edited by Velocity173

Why the hell would you join the Army if not to train and deploy? No matter what your rank, job, position, branch that is what we do. That being said, I do also know many individuals that work the system so as not to deploy, they are plentiful in the Army. Currently, with the drawdown, I am aware that there may not be as many deployment opportunities. We are returning to a "garrison Army" is what I'm being told. That doesn't mean we still don't train for war and the culminating event will be NTC/JRTC. So Campbell and Bragg will be best options for that? What about Hood and any others?

preaching to the choir...

No, wait... I like that we are having dissenting opinions. I like hearing all sides before a decision is made. I still don't quite understand the difference between TDA and LUH? What are the words that the acronyms stand for? According to you guys, they may be units that don't deploy, but are still worthwhile to be in.

I agree and understand the varying positions of Velocity173, d10, and UH60L-IP, but I am trying to consider all your very true and valid points and wrap it all together, if that's possible. And apply my 4 yrs of Army experience (not in aviation) to it. There are fewer opportunities to deploy, but there are still great opportunities to train and gain more flight hours?

Yes, as stated, I could just stay put and enjoy garrison activities (sarcastically) and spending time with family (not sarcastically.) Can we afford that? Two combat ready officers just take the back seat? I don't think so. Me and my husband must always remain combat ready. Until I hang up this uniform, I will always be ready for whatever conflict awaits us next.

TDA=Table of Distribution and Allowances. That doesn't mean much though, it's just the document that authorizes the unit. The relevant thing to know about them is they're a nondeployable unit.

LUH=Light Utility Helicopter (Lakota/UH-72). The LUH wasn't designed to be used in combat so if you fly one, you have no choice but to go to a TDA unit.

I'm on your side with the deployment issue. I came up on my branch manager's radar after 4 years at Ft Campbell/2 deployments and was told I'd be PCSing to a TDA unit. My battalion SP pulled a lot of strings for me to keep me at Campbell for one more. Spending all your time in operational units can hurt your career too though. Needs of the Army and all that. TDA units need good people too. If I had cared about a long career in the Army it would have been much better to take the TDA assignment.

First, is he even getting LUHs? If so then you'll simply have to accept the fact you're going to a TDA area. If he wants to train for combat he had better pick another airframe. I don't think any of the LUHs are slated for any deployable units. Still, the LUH is a versatile platform. My friends were doing MEDEVAC, slings, bambie bucket, para drops, VIP, etc.

My recommendation is pick the aircraft and mission he wants to do. Then pick the duty station in an area that's good for family life. Don't worry about if and when the next war is going to happen. Hood, Bragg, Campbell, Lewis, and Hunter; all big Army and all train for war. Out of those, personally I'd go with Lewis or Hunter. Both nice areas with plenty to do. Been to Bragg and Hood and just didn't like the areas. Not sure about Campbell but most people who go there like it.

Edited by Velocity173

Army 2020 is all over the place. What is the force going to look like in 2020. Sorry, guys, it doesn't matter what kind of oers you have, there are administrative separation boards coming all our way. Do you have ACOMs? There is no such thing in the army anymore as a contract. You will all (as I also) will go through administrative reduction boards. They are getting rid of officers and warrant officers. This has already been instituted for NCOs.. ask them. We are up next on the chopping block.

Army 2020 is all over the place. What is the force going to look like in 2020. Sorry, guys, it doesn't matter what kind of oers you have, there are administrative separation boards coming all our way. Do you have ACOMs? There is no such thing in the army anymore as a contract. You will all (as I also) will go through administrative reduction boards. They are getting rid of officers and warrant officers. This has already been instituted for NCOs.. ask them. We are up next on the chopping block.

4 Steps to stop worrying about the cutbacks.

1. Go to Campbell...

2. Do the best you can do.

3. Submit good support forms, support the command. If you don't get a ACOM then you either didn't do your best or it wasn't meant to be.

4. Move on.

To all those that are curious, I have no issues with giving my info. To be honest, I don't know much about aviation, but what is happening in our Army these days transcends all branches. I have been an MP for the past 4 years at Bliss (PL, XO, RD CDR) and next week I graduate from CCC at the home of my regiment (Leonard Wood). I am transferring to PAO and my branch is offering me jobs at the 82 CAB, 101 CAB, and 3 CAB, amongst other PAO jobs. I have explicitly told him I prefer Campbell. However, there is this pesky shutdown thing to deal with. As of today, the Army is not PCSing anyone for any reason, to include my classmates on orders to Alaska, Hawaii, Japan, Korea, and GTMO. Don't worry, I am told that initial entry schools should not pay the price.

And.. roll with the punches, I know. The roles of officers/warrants/NCOs cannot be taken for granted in this new army.

Sorry, guys, I should have known better. My gut told me Campbell or Bragg was the best place and I just got too distracted by Stewart. Thanks for bringing me around. We all need that sometimes.

I would try to get a hold off the aviation branch manager if you haven't already and see what's expected to be open for new pilots when you expect your husband to graduate (mid-2015 probably?). At any given time there are only a few CABs open for PCS moves and they would know what their schedule is in advance. Whether they'll have time to look up an accurate answer for you is a different matter but it can't hurt to try.

Also without any additional info, Campbell is a good choice because they have two CABs there. If the 101st happens to be closed when it's time for your husband to PCS there's a good chance the 159th will be open.

• Like 1

My A/M class graduates next week, and several people from our sister A/L course (LTs) are going to Hunter. Some of the Warrants graduating in the next few classes are going there as well. Put what you want on your top three, not what someone else said you'll probably be able to get. Then help yourself as much as possible by being at the top of the OML.

Not sure if anyone knows what units will need people that far out. It seems to change on a week-to-week basis. The class a month before us all got either Korea or Bragg, while ours was very heavy on Germany.

Thanks for the advice. What I have learned in my few years is NOT to piss of your branch manager. Easier in my previous branch because I am a CPT with another CPT as my branch manager. With my new branch, I have an LTC as a branch manager. And I DEFINITELY don't want to piss him off. I don't yet have an RFO to Campbell and if I don't continue to make a good impression on him, he'd send me to the opposite side of the world from my husband. Believe me, this is how branch managers are. Likewise, I have entertained placing a phone call to the CW5 aviation branch manager. For the same reasons, I have decided against that.

Usually in TRADOC (correct me if I'm wrong) when it comes time for assignments, they ask if there is anyone with any special circumstances (such as EFMP or MACP). MACP may or may not get my husband to Stewart/Hunter. MACP will definitely get my husband to Campbell. The lesser of two evils.

BTW, why did you all decide warrant instead of officer? I advised my husband (who was completely qualified for OCS) to go warrant. I would rather he fly which is his passion than the complete and utter bullshit of being an officer like me. Property accountability, staff call, training meetings, QTB, USR, FLIPLs, picking up soldiers in the middle of the night from the MP station and making the call to your BC that your soldier f*cked up, domestics, soldiers popping hot, Art 15s, chapters... this is the life of a company commander (no matter what branch.) Just curious as to why you all made the decision for warrant.

• Like 2

And I DEFINITELY don't want to piss him off. I don't yet have an RFO to Campbell and if I don't continue to make a good impression on him, he'd send me to the opposite side of the world from my husband. Believe me, this is how branch managers are.

Yeah. I was emailing my branch manager once about my next assignment and made a joke that he didn't find funny. He cut off the conversation and said I'd be going to Drum.

• Like 3