Tell me your story.

My father is well aware of my situation and isn't forcing anything on me, but I personally feel the need to be with him. We are very close - always have been, always will be.

Pushing the dates back is a no-go from what I've been told, even given my situation.

If I were to not accept the selection this time, can I be re-boarded at a later time (or re-apply)? Might there be any issues with the same Battalion and USAREC approving me again?

If I remember correctly, tydaddy was in a similar situation awhile back. I would talk to him and see what all he had to do. I know he was able to re-board and was selected as well.

Here is a quote from an old post of his:

"First a little background - I submitted a WOFT packet for last March's board. I wasn't supposed to find out until May, however, they overnighted my packet, and I found out 4 days later. I wasn't in a position at that time - lots of personal/family issues going on - to accept. I asked for an extension, and was denied. I was told I'd have to reboard. After getting things straightened out...doing some soul searching...accepting then turning down a "dream physical therapists job" at the last possible second...I decided to reactivate my packet."

I tried to go through tydaddy's previous posts, but may have missed something. Was he boarded once (and selected, but declined due to certain reasons), and then re-boarded (and then accepted)?

Yes. I believe he had family issues (exact details unknown to me). Based off his post, he was selected and turned it down. Then after the issues were dealt with, he was re-boarded and was picked up again. I think he is in BST right now......

Put your cursor over the FORUM tab and on the drop down menu click members and search him out. I'd send him a message to find out how he was able to handle his situation

• 2 weeks later...

I know Army pilots typically don't wear their flight suit, but do they still receive one with the wings logo and their name on it?

The one piece flight suit or "pickle suit" is no longer issued. Years ago, those of us who are "vertically challenged" got issued the one piece and the leather name tape with wings.

Now they wear the Army Aviation Combat Uniform or A2CU. You get a name tape and U.S. Army tape. All nomex and velcro.

Edited by Velocity173
  • Like 1

My father is well aware of my situation and isn't forcing anything on me, but I personally feel the need to be with him. We are very close - always have been, always will be.

Pushing the dates back is a no-go from what I've been told, even given my situation.

If I were to not accept the selection this time, can I be re-boarded at a later time (or re-apply)? Might there be any issues with the same Battalion and USAREC approving me again?

Not sure about the regs governing this and whether or not you can delay dates or reapply, but one thing you'll have to consider is whether you're able to commit in the long run.

Last year for instance, a buddy of mine lost both his father and stepfather within a month of one another. He went home on emergency leave...twice. He still serves as a career Soldier and as far as I know has no desire to leave the Army.

Likewise, on the day my grandmother died, I deployed to Haiti for a humanitarian mission.

So basically, this is our sacrifice. I stay in as a career Soldier knowing full well that I run the risk of losing family members while I'm gone. It sucks, but at the end of the day, my parents, who at this juncture are basically my best friends, wouldn't ever want me to leave the Army because this is where my heart is. I've missed weddings, births, funerals, time with relatives on hospice, etc. for the sake of my being a Soldier. If you end up coming in, so will you. This is pretty much a guarantee.

So even if you do get a delay in your school date, you will need to come to terms with this.

• Like 1

What are the currency requirements ? I assume there is a lot of sim time to help stay proficient.

All the minimums in the world won't matter if you get assigned to a non-flying job (of which there are many and seem to be more everyday) or if your CAB Commander waives your minimums which is well within his power. Imagine how sucky it would be to log zero hours in a year...the budget woes are just beginning to hurt the army. Reminds me of 1997 all over again, bring your own printer paper to work, bring your own sh*t paper to work, pay for MRE's when you go to the field, etc.

For more enlightening info on the topic of minimums, google army aviation commander's guide.

• Like 1

The thing you need to understand about the Army is that it's a job. No job anywhere in the world is going to live up to your dreams. My dream job is pretty unrealistic but the Army gets me close and there are plenty of positive things about flying for the Army. There are also many negative things. I love the job and I love the lifestyle it has allowed me to live but it's not something I would recommend to everyone.

Any of you guys stationed at Campbell? I want to go onto to post and talk to some warrants. I live in Southern IL so that's my nearest CAB. I've emailed the XO there and no reply. Anybody know how I could go on post and talk to some warrants there?