November 2014 WOFT Board

Wow just read that, for one it confuses me that it just got posted but was dated for 12 November and secondly how it affects active but no one else,hopefully it is a mistake but if not, the January board is going to be packed with applicants

I just got on the USAREC website and saw this latest message dated 12 NOV 14... 12 NOV 14 - ATTENTION ALL 153A APPLICANTS: Per the DA G1 and Aviation Proponent, the November FY15 Warrant Officer Candidate Selection Board for MOS 153A has been CANCELLED in order to better align current MOS 153A selectees with available training resources. The January FY15 Warrant Officer Candidate Selection Board will convene as scheduled.

I have been checking the website and this is dated 12 NOV but definitely just posted today. Also confusing because guys are getting word on their selection status, so is this just for Active Component guys? Anyone have any clue what is going on, I also emailed USAREC so if I get any information back I will post it.

I just saw this as well. Definitely was not on the site yesterday even though it is dated the 12th... Interesting, looks like the Jan board will be stacked.

Sitting in the gym trembling right now. 15 months ago I set out on this journey. #1 on my bucket list.

Selected.

Was there any doubt? Congratulations buddy, let us know when you've got your WOCS date.

I just saw this as well. Definitely was not on the site yesterday even though it is dated the 12th... Interesting, looks like the Jan board will be stacked.

I wouldn't put it beyond USAREC, HRC, or pretty much all Army organizations with an acronym for a name to have its head up its collective ass.

I wouldn't be surprised if this was all bunk. If Jeffin got a call saying he was selected, then clearly the board has convened. If anything, that's probably only info for in-service applicants.

It probably only applies to active duty applicants, as civilians will have to attend bct first giving them a gap prior to WOCS after selection. Sounds like they have too many people waiting for wocs seats currently and not enough wociness to go around. I better go over there and pull some WOJG and help out... Lol

• Like 1

So it official I just received an email back from USAREC, here it is...

As of 1 Oct, your packet was board ready. You are correct, the 153A November board has been cancelled, and all packets will automatically be rolled into the January board. The cutoff for you to submit any updates to your packet is Friday, November 21.

Are you in-service, or applying street to seat?

Got it. Jeffin is a street-to-seat guy, and as a Guardsman applying for active I'm doing street to seat as well. Frankly, they can screw with you guys as much as they want, as long as my process doesn't get messed with, I'm a happy scout. ;)

But seriously, I was active for a while. I know how much Big Army loves to screw around with people schools. Hell of a day to find out about it, I'm sure they aren't reducing the number of available seats though, just rolling it into one bigger board.

hello all,

first time to ever post, but I have gotten a lot of help just reading stuff in past year to apply. my packet is submitted as well for nov.

a little bit about myself:

civilian

age 26

sift 60

gt 119

pt 255

bachelors in math 2.9

3 lors from college professors

4 yrs prior service army as active

no flight experience

and everything else flight phys etc completed

crossing my fingers...

hi all, so i've received not on the list phone call from recruiter yesterday for nov 14 board. the above is what my packet was like. that was my first woft board but i am already feeling drained and not motivated to wait for januaray. (can't hide disappointment)

that being said, i have a couple questions if you guys could help out.

i understand i will automatically be reboarded for january; but can i still update my packet, such as higher pt score, maybe another lor. etc? (my recruiter is telling me, no, it is 'locked-in')

only thing i can improve is apft, and the best i may be able to get is 265. (bad runner)

i also live in chicago, so i have zero access to any aviation officers. (so no lor from military folks)

given my existing packet, if i get not selected again, would it be wise to pursue 6 months later? (not much will be changed, maybe 270 apft?)

it is not like i have another civilian job set up waiting for me out there, but i'd like to seriously thinking about getting a better job than my current one, and abandon current quest for aviator.

i know resilience is one of the important qualities the army leaders, or any soldiers in that matter, should possess, but i also think any logical person should also know when one should stop or proceed. any enlightenment would be appreciated.

-

one more question, i realize we are still on boarding-week, but when can non-select civilians find out if one was ns due to competitiveness or disqualified? like i know NS-DQ implies something is wrong with your packet and NS-FQ implies you weren't as good as others selected. thanks!

Your recruiter, like most, is wrong. Show him the website that says you can submit improvements, request another ot test for a higher score and make it happen. Also, a little bit of networking will pay dividends for even a Chicago resident. Not saying you are lazy, but make the effort. It's all about how bad you want this to happen. Keep at it, you can do it

Networking is HUGE! cutoff for updates for the Jan board is Nov 21. According to what was told to me. I would definitely try to knock out a new APFT today and since your packet is done, drive to the nearest base, army air field, air force base, VFW hall anything try to get some sort of LOR from a military aviator, or officer at the least. Best of luck man.

first of all, thanks for reply!

well, i thought LOR had to be written by "someone who knows you well". last 4 years i've been in college, and only folks i know are drunk students, dumb students, smart students, and TAs, professors. i guess i could randomly dig out retired aviators or officers somehow related to aviation but then how could i possibly talk to them to write me a LOR as such? maybe i am not informed as i should be. teach me some tactics to get these better military officer generated lors. i mean i do want this bad. do i tell random officer straight to face that i want LOR with contents stating he/she knows me well? or is this a sort of wink-wink "someone who knows me well?"

first of all, thanks for reply!

well, i thought LOR had to be written by "someone who knows you well". last 4 years i've been in college, and only folks i know are drunk students, dumb students, smart students, and TAs, professors. i guess i could randomly dig out retired aviators or officers somehow related to aviation but then how could i possibly talk to them to write me a LOR as such? maybe i am not informed as i should be. teach me some tactics to get these better military officer generated lors. i mean i do want this bad. do i tell random officer straight to face that i want LOR with contents stating he/she knows me well? or is this a sort of wink-wink "someone who knows me well?"

Warrant Officers are well aware of the LOR requirement and will typically help you out if you have most of your packet done and can display the drive to want this. Which you do. Don't be afraid to get on the horn and make some random phone calls. Explain what you are trying to accomplish and ask to speak with a senior warrant officer. Politely request an interview and possible follow up for a letter of recommendation. Talk to people you know about what you are doing. You never know who may be able to put you in touch with someone. Heres a breakdown of what I tried before finally nailing down a solid CWO LOR.

Linkedin (now you have to pay to send messages to people you are not connected with)

Other forums

Facebook (aviation pages, PM's to the local guard unit)

Cold calling/Cold E-mailing

Asking around at my flight physical

Family friend finally made a huge connection for me after making small talk one day. Look at it like this. Exhaust all possible options to strengthen your packet. Whats the worst that can happen? You get a polite no, or no response, in which case you are right where you started. I guarantee you will learn a lot in the process about the program and the life as an aviator.

As far as the APFT, Stearmann4 put it best in his sticky. "I'm just a good runner doesn't cut it". Take those words to heart. If you want it bad enough you will be out there getting it done to get stronger and faster. Use different ways to improve. If you can't get outside, crank up the treadmill until you can. Get a little bit better every day and before you know it, you will be alot better.