65 replies to this topic

#61 Willhp

Willhp

COM Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted Yesterday, 07:12

So much truth! It's the same if not worse at Bragg. I count down the days until I get out. Best advice I can give is get a degree and fly for the air force. 

Cantankerously and Hodor60, which airframes do you fly and are both of you at Bragg? I ask because I saw both your posts about one person not flying much and the other saying their rotors seem to be turning nonstop. Im just curious if differences in airframe play a big role in how much you are actually flying.

#62 SBuzzkill

SBuzzkill

VR Veteran Poster

• VR Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,806 posts

Posted Yesterday, 09:48

Willhp you must have missed this part:

I feel like us reserve guys over on east ramp are giving yall active guys a run for yalls money. We have missions non-stop and hardly ever see a blade turning on yalls side of the ramp.

Apples and oranges regardless of airframe.

Edited by SBuzzkill, Yesterday, 09:48.

• Hodor60 likes this

#63 Hodor60

Hodor60

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted Yesterday, 09:57

For sure, wasnt saying they are the same at all, was just making an observation is all. I came from a stand-alone unit in the middle of Texas, so being near active flight units and seeing how much yall usually fly was a shock. I figured yall would fly all the time.

#64 Willhp

Willhp

COM Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted Yesterday, 11:03

I did catch it and I knew there was a drastic difference with flight time between active duty and National Guard. I didnt realize it was that big of a difference with the Reserves. I was under the impression that when you are in an active reserve position it is in support of active duty. You get paid the same as active duty, fall under the same funding and run the same optempo/missions as your active duty counterparts. Thats why I asked if airframe might play a difference in flight time when comparing reserves in an active position and regular active duty.

#65 SBuzzkill

SBuzzkill

VR Veteran Poster

• VR Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,806 posts

Posted Yesterday, 15:51

Damn I didn't mean to offend anyone.  I thought you did not realize they weren't both active duty units.  Anyways.

The point I'm trying to make is that you cannot predict how much you will fly especially by comparing communities.  If you're trying to compare guard/reserve hours vs active duty, or one airframe vs another, or one unit vs another, you're never going to get an accurate estimate.  Two years ago my old unit only flew when there were missions.  This year, guys are sitting because they are breaking 100 hours in a month (doing continuation training!) and even then the unit is struggling to hit the target hours simply because there are not enough pilots.

Yeah a Reserve unit might out-fly an Active unit this year.  But next year when that Active Battalion heads to Afghanistan or Korea they might triple their flight hours, or not.  An Apache pilot might fill up a logbook at NTC, or they may sit through a rotation with broken aircraft and a ground unit that doesn't like them.

The pot of money is constantly changing, maintenance status is constantly changing, leadership, IPs, PCs, AMCs, missions, etc. are always changing.

Edited by SBuzzkill, Yesterday, 15:53.

• mdeneso, mike0331, Hedrick84 and 1 other like this

#66 Willhp

Willhp

COM Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted Yesterday, 20:02

Damn I didn't mean to offend anyone.  I thought you did not realize they weren't both active duty units.  Anyways.

The point I'm trying to make is that you cannot predict how much you will fly especially by comparing communities.  If you're trying to compare guard/reserve hours vs active duty, or one airframe vs another, or one unit vs another, you're never going to get an accurate estimate.  Two years ago my old unit only flew when there were missions.  This year, guys are sitting because they are breaking 100 hours in a month (doing continuation training!) and even then the unit is struggling to hit the target hours simply because there are not enough pilots.

Yeah a Reserve unit might out-fly an Active unit this year.  But next year when that Active Battalion heads to Afghanistan or Korea they might triple their flight hours, or not.  An Apache pilot might fill up a logbook at NTC, or they may sit through a rotation with broken aircraft and a ground unit that doesn't like them.

The pot of money is constantly changing, maintenance status is constantly changing, leadership, IPs, PCs, AMCs, missions, etc. are always changing.

SBuzzkill, I by no means was offended and really appreciate any and all of your insight!!! It is so hard to interpret how someone is talking through written words, especially when you do not personally know who you are talking/typing with. I was only trying to understand some differences and what you said in your post quoted above made alot of sense. I will be starting the entire process of WOCS/flight school next month and am just trying to get as much information as possible heading in.

With all that being said, thanks to all current aviators who still come back to forum and post their experiences and helpful information.

4 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 4 guests, 0 anonymous users

PrecisionVRForumHome200AMTC 2018BE_VRHome200MaunaLoaVRHome200Genesys VR Forum 200Spectrum_VRHome200HeliHelmets-VR HomeNFCVRForum200Home