WARRANT OFFICER FLIGHT TRAINING

Well today I witnessed one of THE coolest things that I have ever witnessed.

My buddies and I were doing some shooting at my friends farm when I heard what sounded like a helicopter approaching. We walked out of the barn and there are four apaches that cruise literally right over us about 200 yards off the ground! Made the hair on the back of my neck stand up. There is an Air Force reserve base down the road so they must have been doing some training there but what are the odds I'd see it?

Thought I'd post this as something to give you guys some extra determination to complete the packet process. Keep your eye on the prize

Was at my computer today when I hear a loud rumbling and all my dishes in my kitchen started rattling and I look out the window and 2 USMC Cobras fly over my roof at about 200 feet. Granted they're USMC but the concept is still the same. Helicopters truly are a visceral experience.

BTW guys, judge 'held it off my record' whatever that means exactly, but still had a fine of $381 :(

Although my boss who is a NG reservist said he thought that would be enough to not require a moral waiver, said when charges fall off your record you no longer need a moral waiver for it..dunno how accurate that statement was, but if it was held off my record, it's held off my record :shrug:

Hopefully won't need a waiver, I'll go talk to a recruiter soon. If the recruiter doesn't think I need a waiver, then hopefully if I do or don't it won't matter-you only have to do what the recruiter tells you, if they say you don't need one, well maybe I won't. We'll see...sigh.

Reposting this here so it doesn't get (as) buried:

I just got back from meeting with my new recruiter(s). I should have done this months ago! Turns out my old recruiter really messed some stuff up in the system, and didn't input other things at all. Basically, my packet was at a complete standstill all the while I was being reassured that he was "working on it," "waiting to hear from the station commander," etc. Good God. The office that I just went to was completely empty, and both recruiters there were straightforward, professional, and excited to get to work. I was there for 3 hours doing the paperwork from scratch (since it was all f*cked up).

I am so relieved I finally found good recruiters, but really angry at myself for being strung along by the last one, because it is going to be damn near impossible to make the March board. I still have to redo MEPS (old physical expired), so they have to send up a med-read for my LASIK and wait to hear back before they can send me. Old recruiter was stringing me along "oh the med-read hasn't come back yet," "you gotta be more than 5 pounds under the weight limit before I can send you" (even though I was within limits and can easily pass tape), "station commander wants to look at your stuff," etc. Then, of course, lately, I couldn't get ahold of him at all.

Well, all I can do now is study for the SIFT and work out. Let this be a lesson for all of you: if you have any doubts about your recruiter or recruiting station, change stations. It is worth it. In hindsight, there were a lot of little red flags with the old one. My new one is an hour from my house, but, when I'm selected for WOFT, that drive is all pocket change and well worth it.

The other advice I have for all applicants is to walk into your recruiter's office with all of your sh*t together. Social Security card, Passport, Drivers License, Birth Certificate, resume, WOFT letter, LoRs (if you have them already), any and all medical documents, SF-86, test scores from another station, etc. My recruiters today were blown away by my preparedness and said that me bringing all that stuff saved about a week's worth of time (namely the med paperwork for LASIK and ear tubes when I was 2). If you demonstrate to a good recruiter that you are in this 100%, and you are willing to put forth the effort to be prepared, ready, and on-time, that makes his job much easier and a good recruiter will respond by using every asset he has to ensure that you are WOFT FQ-S.

That said, no matter how prepared you are, if your recruiter is too busy or simply doesn't care, your packet will not move forward in a timely matter if at all. Find another one.

Sorry for the rant, guys, but hopefully my experience helps someone else out. All roads for me lead to Rucker, and it doesn't matter how many speedbumps and obstacles are in the way--I will get there.

• Like 1

Here's another post related to recruiting that I made elsewhere, which is relevant to this thread:

Call around to find a recruiter who has done WOFT packets successfully before. Then, show up with a folder consisting of:

1. Completed SF-86 (google this form)

2. resume

3. Why I want to be an Army Aviator essay (typed and written)

4. High school and college transcripts

5. LoRs

6. Ready to take PT test at your recuiter's earliest convenience

7. Ready to take and blow away the ASVAB

8. Ready to take and blow away the SIFT.

9. Be post-op from LASIK/PRK and have ALL of your Pre and post op paperwork completed (make LOTS of copies of this stuff and do NOT lose it!). There's a post somewhere around here with the form you need your eye surgeon doc to fill out (Pre and post) and some specific tests he will need to print out in full color.

If you do that, you will be the most squared away person your recruiter will have probably ever seen.

Hey guys,

I had a question regarding PRK surgery. Does anyone have a link to the necessary paperwork I will have to have my doctor fill out regarding the surgery?

I have about half of it saved up for and need to start getting on top of the paperwork.

Thanks!

kgecklund, that paperwork link can be found in this very thread; I posted it not too long ago. I'll let you look for it ;)

Hey all! Newbie here. I had a question regarding my WOFT application packet. I just need someone with a little more experience and who has been to the board and owned the process, if my LOR's are on point or if I need more::

1. Chief Master Sergeant- Air Force

2. Retired Senior Master Sergeant- Air Force

3. Technical Sergeant/old supervisor and good friend- Air Force

4. Major- Air Force

I'm aiming to turn in my packet within the next couple of weeks so any help or advice will be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Hey all! Newbie here. I had a question regarding my WOFT application packet. I just need someone with a little more experience and who has been to the board and owned the process, if my LOR's are on point or if I need more::

1. Chief Master Sergeant- Air Force

2. Retired Senior Master Sergeant- Air Force

3. Technical Sergeant/old supervisor and good friend- Air Force

4. Major- Air Force

I'm aiming to turn in my packet within the next couple of weeks so any help or advice will be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Hey JLDevil. Your first post on the forums takes awhile to get approved, and by the time it does, it gets buried (since it doesn't show up as a "new" post, if that makes sense). So I'm in part bumping the thread so someone can answer your question. Are you active Air Force?

Call around to find a recruiter who has done WOFT packets successfully before. Then, show up with a folder consisting of:

1. Completed SF-86 (google this form)

2. resume

3. Why I want to be an Army Aviator essay (typed and written)

4. High school and college transcripts

5. LoRs

6. Ready to take PT test at your recruiter's earliest convenience

7. Ready to take and blow away the ASVAB

8. Ready to take and blow away the SIFT.

9. Be post-op from LASIK/PRK and have ALL of your Pre and post op paperwork completed (make LOTS of copies of this stuff and do NOT lose it!). There's a post somewhere around here with the form you need your eye surgeon doc to fill out (Pre and post) and some specific tests he will need to print out in full color.

If you do that, you will be the most squared away person your recruiter will have probably ever seen.

Having just switched recruiters, I'll add a few things to this list:

1. Birth Certificate (original)

2. Passport

3. Driver's License

4. Social Security Card

5. High school and college diplomas (in addition to transcripts)

6. This form (medical prescreen you'll have to fill out-might as well do it in advance)

Also, if you are wondering what your max allowable weight is, you have to go by AR 600-9 (page 4) which gives the max weight requirement we have to meet as OCS/WOFT applicants. Note that this is NOT the same weight requirement regular civilians have to meet to enlist. We go by this regulation because we are applying for an Officer program.

• Like 1

As soon as someone finds a practice exam for the SIFT anywhere share it with the group and take it three times a day. Front to back, back to front. over and over again. every day the week leading up to the SIFT. I did that for the AFAST and got a better score because it won't teach you the answers on the day but how to answer these questions.

• Like 1

Having just switched recruiters, I'll add a few things to this list:

1. Birth Certificate (original)

2. Passport

3. Driver's License

4. Social Security Card

5. High school and college diplomas (in addition to transcripts)

6. This form (medical prescreen you'll have to fill out-might as well do it in advance)

Also, if you are wondering what your max allowable weight is, you have to go by AR 600-9 (page 4) which gives the max weight requirement we have to meet as OCS/WOFT applicants. Note that this is NOT the same weight requirement regular civilians have to meet to enlist. We go by this regulation because we are applying for an Officer program.

8490662673_652bb32653_o.png

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

Hey everyone I just wanted to thank you all for the great information! I was accepted in the January board and this forum has been a great resource. Here are my stats just in case any of you are interested.

Age- 26

AFQT- 91

GT- 121

AFAST- 144

APFT- 266

B.S. Biology- 3.30 GPA

Flight Time- 0 hrs

In addition, I am a biologist with my city utility monitoring water quality and fisheries. I performed a lot of extracurricular research in college and funded projects through my job as a biologist. Also, I have a lot of volunteer hours teaching at state parks and maintaining our local mountain bike trails.

Biologist to pilot... why not?

Thank you all

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hello all!

All i have to say is, thank GOD I found this forum, because I have been looking everywhere for good, up-to-date info on this topic.

About me;

I am 23 years old (24 in July), I have 6 years of US Army Reserve experience as an 88U (Railroad Operations. Yes, I said Railroad). I am currently an E4 (promotions are slow in my unit). I graduated high school with a 3.6ish GPA, enlisted during my senior year. I do not have college (yet) and am curently employed full time as a Law Enforcement Officer, with 3 years experience. My father was the equivalent of a 15T during Desert Storm, and my mother was a 15Q. If not for U.S. Army Aviation, I would not be here today (they met, and had me, while deployed in Germany). I guess you could say its in my blood. I can remember going out to Fort Campbell and seeing the UH-60's and 47's flying around, and telling myself "I'm going to fly them one day." Fast forwarding to present time, i'm eligable for re-enlistment now, and would love nothing more than to fulfill my dream.

My question (for now) is, what is the process for applying for WOFT from an enlisted Reservists stand point? I've found copious amounts of information for NG and AD application processes, but nothing for Reserves. My intent is to, if accepted into WOFT, go active duty.

I imagine I will have numerous other questions in the very near future.

Thanks in advance for the responses, and thanks for the advice/information posted already! .

• Like 1

Hello all!

All i have to say is, thank GOD I found this forum, because I have been looking everywhere for good, up-to-date info on this topic.

About me;

I am 23 years old (24 in July), I have 6 years of US Army Reserve experience as an 88U (Railroad Operations. Yes, I said Railroad). I am currently an E4 (promotions are slow in my unit). I graduated high school with a 3.6ish GPA, enlisted during my senior year. I do not have college (yet) and am curently employed full time as a Law Enforcement Officer, with 3 years experience. My father was the equivalent of a 15T during Desert Storm, and my mother was a 15Q. If not for U.S. Army Aviation, I would not be here today (they met, and had me, while deployed in Germany). I guess you could say its in my blood. I can remember going out to Fort Campbell and seeing the UH-60's and 47's flying around, and telling myself "I'm going to fly them one day." Fast forwarding to present time, i'm eligable for re-enlistment now, and would love nothing more than to fulfill my dream.

My question (for now) is, what is the process for applying for WOFT from an enlisted Reservists stand point? I've found copious amounts of information for NG and AD application processes, but nothing for Reserves. My intent is to, if accepted into WOFT, go active duty.

I imagine I will have numerous other questions in the very near future.

Thanks in advance for the responses, and thanks for the advice/information posted already! .

I'll tell you that if you talk to AV branch component they will tell you the only way to go Res to active duty, or NG to active duty is through an Officer comissioning source (read ROTC or federal OCS).

They ARE NOT taking warrant officers unless you assess and are selected to go 160th.

I went through the process of trying to switch including talking to the B Co CDR at Ft Rucker, who said he would do anything he could to help me, but once branch said NO that was it.

The draw down means less soldiers on AD, so at this point I would look for other alternatives

I'll tell you that if you talk to AV branch component they will tell you the only way to go Res to active duty, or NG to active duty is through an Officer comissioning source (read ROTC or federal OCS).

They ARE NOT taking warrant officers unless you assess and are selected to go 160th.

I went through the process of trying to switch including talking to the B Co CDR at Ft Rucker, who said he would do anything he could to help me, but once branch said NO that was it.

The draw down means less soldiers on AD, so at this point I would look for other alternatives

I really don't think this is accurate. I'm applying from NG to active right now and the only thing I've heard is my military experience will add to my packet. As far as the 160th goes you don't assess for that until after flight school so how would you be accepted there before WOCS?

I really don't think this is accurate. I'm applying from NG to active right now and the only thing I've heard is my military experience will add to my packet. As far as the 160th goes you don't assess for that until after flight school so how would you be accepted there before WOCS?

They have been known to select Special Operations types directly from their units and put them on a path through flight school to 160th. Their fates are already predetermined before they even show up to Rucker in a sense. I'm assuming this is what electron was talking about.