Why did you decide to go fly rotor over fixed wing?

FlightNewb

What do you want to do? If you want to actually FLY, choose helicopters. I get more stick time on a single hour flight than an airline pilot does in a month.

If you want to hang around airports, fly planes.

Edit 5 Feb. 15 (for honesty)

The Army needed more helicopter pilots than fixed wing for Vietnam. No interest in fixed wings after that.

Edited by Wally
  • Like 1

I've spoken to many career fixed wing guys who absolutely hate what they do. Many of the "good paying" jobs in fixed wing flying is so controlled and automated that pilots don't even touch the controls except for take-off and landing. These guys don't get to actually do what they love anymore. They've become glorified bus drivers (their words) who don't control any aspect of the flight. Plus the money is a lot better as a heli pilot until you make captain at a major airline which can take decades.

Oh dear God. Not this crap again. "Which is better, helicopters or fixed-wing?" Yadda yadda yadda.

I love the people who think the ONLY fixed-wing alternative to helicopter flying is flying for the airlines. OF COURSE the two types of flying are not comparable. What nitwit would want to compare them? If we're being honest, maybe we should compare an S-92 pilot flying in the GOM with a short-haul commuter fixed-wing pilot? How 'bout them apples now? How much "real flying" do either of the S-92 drivers get?

Look, there are as many different ways of making money with airplanes as there are airplanes. Just because you want a career in fixed-wing does *not* automatically mean you must go to the airlines.

Generally, helicopter pilots do get more hands-on-stick-time than airplane pilots. This is because airplanes have this thing called dynamic stability and helicopters do not. Helicopter pilots consider this an advantage. Well, as someone who's got over 10,000 hours in unstabilized helicopters, I'm not sure I'd agree, thank you very much. Sometimes I've desperately wished that the particular ship I was flying had *some* level of stability so I didn't have to "fly" it ALL THE DAMN TIME. Sometimes a guy needs a break, y'know?

In an airplane you can relax. Gee, there's a concept! In most helicopters you cannot - because you have to be on the controls the whole damn time. In an airplane you can reach in the back and grab a sandwich, or fold/unfold a map...you can do all kinds of stuff and the airplane doesn't try to turn itself upside down on you.

And you don't think airplane flying is "real" flying? Yeah, try landing any airplane on a small, narrow, short, wet runway in a howling crosswind. Go f*ck yourself. Not all runways are the length of 31L at JFK. And try finding that runway in bad weather when you can't really slow down much below 100kts and where you're going doesn't have an instrument approach. Helicopter pilots get so uppity about what they do. It's like they enjoy the hero status they think they deserve for having to fly the damn things 100% of the time. Oooooh, what a guy! Most of them have no friggin' idea what fixed-wing flying entails other than the time they flew for a Regional airline and it bored them to tears.

Sure, sure, a lot of fixed-wing flying can be "boring" to Type-A / ADHD helicopter pilots who always must be doing SOMETHING every second of the day. Yeah, it really sucks being "up there" in a nice, stable cruise while you're actually going somewhere. Rough life, that.

All my life I've flown both fixed-wing and rotary. Got my ratings simutaneously. And you know what? I love them both. At the end of the day I just love to fly, period. Two summers ago I finally got my tailwheel endorsement - and it was a challenge! This summer I may do some glider towing in between cherry-drying jobs if things fall into place.

And maybe that's the point: If you really love to fly it won't matter what type of ship you're in. You won't be bored and you won't think, "Oh, this is so much better than that other type of flying!"

It's ALL good, man.

• Like 3

I wouldn't let the "fun factor" influence your decision too much. They will both turn into jobs at some point. I would say earning potential and quality of life would be higher as an airplane pilot. I have talked to to some corporate pilots that said airline life was misery, but they never pulled a hitch (or a few dozen) living in a trailer in Venice flying mind numbingly boring offshore oil and gas. If you think flying an S-92 offshore would be the most wonderful job ever, you will be very disappointed (no, I do not fly a big ship, but it's all basically the same).

Also, airplane pilots seem to be a more civilized lot as a whole. Now this is just my opinion but I have found airplane pilots generally choose the career because they enjoy flying, but many of the helicopter pilots I know got into it for the "cool" factor and became very disillusioned when they found out it's WORK, just like any other job. It makes for a grumpy jerk and there are loads of them in the helicopter business.

• Like 2

I once had a blimp do a gun run at me. I remember he started down from altitude on Tuesday...

They used to stop at 19A for fuel, coffee and bathroom breaks. Did you know that Medicare had a blimp?

• Like 1

I considered the path into airlines but quickly realized I could barely be responsible for myself, let-alone 200-ish people sitting behind me…….

Plus, after hardcore research, I found a lot more jobs where I could make a livable wage flying alone or at minimum, single pilot, in helicopters......

For me, and to put it into terms so a layman could understand, it’s the difference between riding a motorcycle and driving a car, or bus……

Lastly, I preferred being closer to mother earth and having a view…….

Edited by Spike

I have to echo Nearly Retired, I enjoy both and for different reasons.

There are definitely more job opportunities and job variety as a fixed-wing pilot. I committed to helicopters early on because I wanted to be involved in military aviation. I was more interested in the mission helicopters perform over airplanes, so the Army made sense to me. A huge added bonus in my opinion is that you cannot beat the pay, benefits, advanced aircraft, and training that you get early in your career from the military. The only real negative for me is the lack of flight hours. Your mileage will vary, though; not everyone is cut-out for the military lifestyle and there's nothing wrong with that.

There are days I wish I had the laid-back airplane job. That's not to say their job is any easier, it's just... different.

If you're on the fence about which to pursue as a career, I'd say go with airplanes unless you have a compelling reason to fly helicopters -- and that reason is going to vary person to person. For me, it was missions. Outside the military, there are plenty of government agencies that can do somewhat rewarding work... much better than most fixed-wing jobs which involve hauling paying passengers from Airport A to Airport B.

• Like 2

Wanted a livable wage sooner, and wanted to be home every night. Check, and check.

Checkmate. Ten years in, see how your wages compare, and see where the ceiling on fixed wing vs. rotor ends up.

More money in the short term, yes, but it doesn't take long before rotor wage increases slow to a crawl, about the time that the fixed wing pilot begins to see true earning potential.

Then again, it really depends what you do.

As for a degree; not needed for fixed wing, either. It can enhance one's resume for certain positions, but isn't needed.

Regarding airlines; it's one segment of the job market, but there are plenty of other paths.

Hands-on? Depends on the kind of flying, aircraft, nature of the pilot.

Edited by avbug

I didn't know this suddenly turned into a competition... I think based on the topic it is clearly an opinion thread so I really don't see the reason to try and make your point over others....

I chose helicopters because I've always wanted to fly and got a few hours of airplane in high school and did the private ground school. I've also always wanted to be in the army and the army mainly flies helicopters. Then suddenly in my freshman year of college I found out that I could not only just use my dad's benefits at Riddle, but also learn how to fly. The catch was it could only be helicopters and I haven't regretted anything. With that said I still want to get at least a private in airplanes so I can just kinda fly around with family one day for fun.

There is no one size fits all answer to this question. I loved both but I chose fixed wing due to lower expenses initially to be employable and what I thought would be higher career payday eventually.

20 years in, at the end of the day, it seems what I fly is less important then QOL and pay. The current gig has enough $ attached to allow me to shop for a personal helo so I feel that gamble has paid off. Choose your path carefully, I have seen friends fritter away their best years chasing a pipe dream in both worlds. Best of luck.

There is no one size fits all answer to this question. I loved both but I chose fixed wing due to lower expenses initially to be employable and what I thought would be higher career payday eventually.

20 years in, at the end of the day, it seems what I fly is less important then QOL and pay. The current gig has enough $ attached to allow me to shop for a personal helo so I feel that gamble has paid off. Choose your path carefully, I have seen friends fritter away their best years chasing a pipe dream in both worlds. Best of luck.

That's what I'm talking about: fly airplanes for better pay, benefits, schedule, accommodations, etc. and fly helicopters for fun. Unless you go the military route, there really is no good reason to become a helicopter pilot. It is a lot better than what I was doing before but my training probably cost a third what it does today and I got picked up for a decent gig at 1,000 hours (not uncommon 10 years ago). You better plan on 2,000 now with an ATP before you get paid to sit in a turbine.

Something that hasn't been brought up: safety. How many career airplane pilots do you know that have been killed flying? I don't know any but I have known quite a few helicopters pilots that have been killed over the years.

Edited by helonorth

Unless you go the military route, there really is no good reason to become a helicopter pilot.

I'm gonna have to disagree with you there, and since my Private instructor was an ex-corporate jet pilot, I'd have to guess I'm not alone?

I'd rather be an unemployed helicopter pilot than an unemployed fixed-wingger!,...and helicopters are too expensive to fly just for fun!

,...unless you like flying just one hour every six weeks?

:)

Usually they are divergent paths. I would say someone giving up a corporate jet pilot job to instruct in an R-22 would indeed be quite a rarity! When I was an instructor we had some airline pilots that loved to play around in the helicopter and had plenty of spare cash to collect ratings, but it was usually never more than just a hobby. One did teach on occasion, but I don't think he ever seriously considered leaving a legacy airline job to start all over in a Schweizer. I would not be surprised if your former instructor is back in the jet.

I'm not sure what the advantage would be to having a helicopter ticket over an airplane ticket when you're in the unemployment line. At that point they both pay the same.

I'm not sure what the advantage would be to having a helicopter ticket over an airplane ticket when you're in the unemployment line. At that point they both pay the same.

Better donuts!

:lol:

Sell me on helicopters

It’s been said before (by me with hostile returns), if you have to decide, then this business isn’t for you. Simply put, this job is for those who are driven to do it….. Not for those who doubt the drive…… With that, I will not “sell” you on this occupation only because you felt you had to ask…….

Fly a plane.......

Edited by Spike
  • Like 4

See what I mean? I guess if you want to make an informed decision, you don't really want to belong to the club!

It’s been said before (by me with hostile returns), if you have to decide, then this business isn’t for you. Simply put, this job is for those who are driven to do it….. Not for those who doubt the drive…… With that, I will not “sell” you on this occupation only because you felt you had to ask…….

Fly a plane.......

Fly a plane.......

And here all this time I thought the way to make life changing choices was to make an informed decision. Wrong!