SIFT INFORMATION

Hey lindsey just curious if you or anyone else knows since Im going to separate from the navy and apply woft the civilian route now ...are there boards every month of the calendar year for civilian ? just curious since i will separate late November and i know AD boards don't happen the last few months of the year, thanks!!

ROTC cadet here taking The SIFT very soon. Does anyone know what section specifically I should study in the ARCO book for the Army Aviation Knowledge section? There is a complex movement and helicopter knowledge section under the AFAST section of the book. Is it one of these sections?

Thanks

ROTC cadet here taking The SIFT very soon. Does anyone know what section specifically I should study in the ARCO book for the Army Aviation Knowledge section? There is a complex movement and helicopter knowledge section under the AFAST section of the book. Is it one of these sections?

Thanks

Helicopter Knowledge.

• 2 weeks later...

First post here but I have lurking on here for a while now....

I took the SIFT this morning and wanted to share my experiences with the test.

Ill just start by going straight down the list of each section.

Simple drawings:

Someone explained it best a few posts back with the example that follows : v v v V v. You are given five very basic pictures and you must choose the one that does not fit. Not much to study for this just move fast! You cannot skip back but are told what number you are on. I made it 76/100

Hidden Figures:

From what I saw, it appears they just took the hidden figures test right from the AFOQT. Studying the sections from the ARCO and Barron's book would defitinely help someone get a feel for this section. Can't skip back but you know what number you are on...for me 22/50. not my strongest section

Army Aviation Information:

The bulk of the questions from this section can be found in the FAA Helicopter Handbook here

http://www.faa.gov/regulations_policies/handbooks_manuals/aircraft/media/faa-h-8083-21A.pdf

I would try to read the whole thing, but realistically I would focus on the aerodynamics, flight controls, helicopter components, performance, weight and balance, basic and advanced flight maneuvers. That sounds rather lengthy but I would say 80% of the questions could be answered in those sections. Other than that, be familiar with the Army's helicopter roles and responsibilities. For this section you are given a key on the right side that shows answered, unanswered, and flagged questions. Each question has a little flag you can click so you know to come back to it if need be

Then comes a 15 min break

Spatial Apperception:

This section was exactly the same as the pictures used on the ASTB, literally the same. The ARCO book provides a great starting point, however be aware that the test has varying levels of bank for the roll component of the airplane. The test allows you to flip back and forth from questions, along with the reading comprehension section.

Reading Comprehension:

Nothing tricky here, just pick the answer that corresponds with the information given. Put everything you might know out of your mind and just focus on what is in the question. Again, if you have taken the ASTB before you may recognize some of the questions. I feel like I recognized some of the same questions from the ASTB.

Math Skills Test:

This section I know I butchered. Be sure to study word problems, quadratic formulas and how to use FOIL, basic geometry, and basic algebra. The word problems consisted of work/time to finish a project, distance travel, gas/mpg, ratios, averaging, and probability. What tripped me up was the probability problems and the test kept throwing more of those at me, probably because my guesses were way off. For the geometry, the equations are given but understand the characteristic of triangles and circles to easily manipulate a problem with the select few variables given. This section did not let you skip back and I never knew what question number I was on although a timer is given in the bottom right hand corner. Also by practicing with the ARCO and Barron's book while timeed, you truly learn a good pace to move through this section as well as all the other sections.

Mechanical Comprehension:

For the mechanical, the section was near identical to the ASTB again. Studying the principles in the Barron's and ARCO book would be a great start. The test did ask some funky questions about joules and newtons that threw me off but other than that it was pretty straight forward. Same thing in this section, you are not allowed to skip back but the timer is given in the bottom right hand corner.

In summary, I maybe studied for 10-15 hours for this test and scored a 59. Most of my studying was a referesher since I just took the ASTB a few months back.

Hope this helps and good luck!!

• Like 6

Hey everyone,

Like most on here, I also want to become a 153A. I'm reserves wanting to go active duty. I kind of need to get everything in my packet done by next march, because my enlistment is up then. Right now, I'm studying for the SIFT, and am going to take a couple of math classes to help also.

Anyways, the only thing I'm truly worried about is LOR's. I know having good LOR'S can mean a great deal to the board, but I am in a medical reserve unit, I don't know any aviators, or even any warrant officers (that are higher than CW2). I'm moving to the ft lewis area, I know there are tons of pilots there, but how do I go about meeting them? I mean, I can't just pop in to the hangar and say, "what's up guys! I need a LOR!" haha...so does anyone know anybody in that area that could help maybe? The WO recruiter that I talked to that is in Ft Lewis said that if I can't find anybody, he can set up a telephonic interview with somebody/people that can give me a LOR...but I don't like the sound of that. I really want an honest LOR, someone that can see and speak for the passion I have for flying. Would the board know the difference between the two? Thanks, any help I can get is much appreciated!

Welcome to the forum!

This is kind of a weird topic to post your question in though. However, I have found the following for you regarding getting an LOR from a CW4 or CW5. It was posted by member stearmann4 in another topic...

http://helicopterforum.verticalreference.com/topic/16438-woft-packet-denied-first-attempt-january-2013/page__st__100?do=findComment&comment=129932

I think starting on page 3 or 4 of that topic is a pretty good discussion regarding LORs.

Hope that helps.

Just call a base that has flying units. Then ask the operator for one of the flying units, and they should give you the ops desk. All you have to do is tell them you are apply for WOFT and wanted to talk to a CWO4-5 to get an interview. I got one the next week. Print out a resume, any test scores you have, letters of rec, and anything else you think would help them write your letter. Doesn't matter if they are AD,Reserve or Guard. Ask him for his email so you can send him the form from the wo recruiting website. Anytime you can make someone's job easier, do it.

First post here but I have lurking on here for a while now....

I took the SIFT this morning and wanted to share my experiences with the test.

Phenomenal post! Thanks a million, Leroy!

• Like 1

Hey Graphite - Good luck man!

Just took my SIFT yesterday at 7AM. I was the very first person to take the SIFT at my MEPS building.

That being said, let us know what you score! I'm curious to see what average scores peole are getting... it's kinda hard to get a feel for it when the range goes from 20 to 80 lol. I got a 64 on mine... I figure that puts me in the lower range of the top 25%. Doesn't sound too bad when you think of it that way.

• Like 1

Just a few quick questions...I take the SIFT in 2 days. I have been studying a lot lately with the Arco and Barron books. I made a 135 on my AFAST, however this test makes me a lot more nervous. Seems like from all the post it would be pretty difficult to get below a 40 unless you just completely bomb each section.

- Helicopter Knowledge section...Is this the same as the AFAST questions or different?

-Reading...is it strictly paragraphs and then select best answer or do they have the " Redundant most closely means.... type questions too?

Thanks for all the info here!

Helo knowledge was pretty similar there were a few air frame specific questions on the SIFT and the reading comp was a passage with 4 statements to choose from that would say different things from the passage but only one could made solely from the information provided in the passage...I used the reading comp from the ARCO guide for one of the other branches ASTB practice test and it worked out pretty well for me

electron_si - That is my intention, but it has been a complete cluster trying to get the recruiters to stay on top of things. I've changes recruiters 3 times, had a CW4 friend of mine go in and try to motivate, and I even called their supervisor; i finally got the SIFT scheduled. If I can get my physicals as DA photo done without any issues, then i should be good.

I'll post up my opinions tomorrow after the test. Fingers crossed.

• Like 1

electron_si - That is my intention, but it has been a complete cluster trying to get the recruiters to stay on top of things. I've changes recruiters 3 times, had a CW4 friend of mine go in and try to motivate, and I even called their supervisor; i finally got the SIFT scheduled. If I can get my physicals as DA photo done without any issues, then i should be good.

I'll post up my opinions tomorrow after the test. Fingers crossed.

That's good news! Good luck on the SIFT tomorrow

I take the test in the morning! I have gone through math and mechanical function section countless times in both the ARCO and Barrons book. These are going to be the toughest sections for me.

I Feel comfortable with Hidden figures, Reading, and Spatial - however these books does not show different degrees in banks but the SIFT does correct? Army Aviation section I have reviewed all AFAST sections in both books and the FAA book.

Can anyone else think of anything else to look over or last minute prepare for? Or do you believe this is sufficient? I got a 135 on the AFAST last July.

Can someone please validate the below?

I also read where you should try and guess on the Spatial, Hidden figures, and reading if you don't complete them all since you are not penalized for wrong answers. True??

Math and M Functions you ARE penalized for incorrect answers?

Can someone please validate the below?

I also read where you should try and guess on the Spatial, Hidden figures, and reading if you don't complete them all since you are not penalized for wrong answers. True??

Math and M Functions you ARE penalized for incorrect answers?

This is answered in the SIFT: Frequently Asked Questions posted earlier in the thread.