SIFT INFORMATION

Ok so let me fill you all in on the details of the back story. I first went to speak to a recruiter in Dec about starting this whole process. I gathered the list of things I needed and began obtaining them and building my packet. When I attempted to contact him a week later I wasn't about to reach him. After many attempts I get a hold of a different recruiter at the station who informs me that the other guys got orders and is no longer a recruiter there. (Thanks for telling me)

So I go to meet with the 2nd recruiter, fill him in on what I want to do. I tell him that I know WOFt packets probably aren't the most appealing thing to do, but that I can do most of the work on my own if he can just help schedule some stuff. I continue to build my packet and check back with the recruiter regarding my physical and SIFT test. I start to have trouble getting a hold of #2; won't reply to emails or return voicemails. I inform my friend (who is a CW4 at Fort Belvoir by my house), and he stops by in uniform to essentially pull rank and find out what the problem is. The recruiter tells me that he wasn't sure "how serious I was" because he hasn't heard from me. Friend assures him I'm serious and I get an email saying, "what do you have, so we can figure out what needs to be done". Things I've been telling him for a month and a half over emails. I let him know that all I need is a physical appointment and the SIFT. He tells me he will see when/if he can schedule them.

I call back almost every day and ask when I'm scheduled. Each day he says, "I'm about to do _______ or _____, and he will call me tomorrow. I never get it scheduled though. Excuse after excuse. Finally I call a different recruiting station and get ahold of recruiter #2s boss. He makes some calls and has me report to the office to meet with recruiter #3. This guy makes some inquiries and says he will get back with me. After about a week he finally says he has a test date scheduled. I put in for leave, stop by his office for directions and a form that I will need at MEPS. I drive the hour and 45 min to the hotel, spend the night, get up at 430 and drive to the MEPS at 0600.

After checking in, I wait to be called to testing. I kill time by laughing at all the high school aged DEPers. Test time was supposed to be 7. At 730 I ask for an update, they tell me that they will call soon. At 0900 I inquire again. They call testing and discover the SIFT is next week and was last week.

So I call the recruiter and tell him he better figure some sh*t out bc this is ridiculous. He looks on his computer and says, (and I quote)"yeah that's my bad". And I'm told to drive back home.

On the way home I call his boss again and find out that he is on leave. They connect me to the center commander and I chew his ear. After hearing the details he says, "in his defense we don't get WOFT packets very often. In the 12 years I've done this I've never seen anyone get selected who wasn't active duty. The selection rate is low, so we aren't familiar with it". I tell him that selection chances and percentage is MY concern. HIS concern is to do his damn job and schedule the appointments that I need. The ones I tried to schedule myself but couldn't because I'm not active anymore. I drive myself, take unpaid leave from work and do whatever is needed; all I ask is for accurate information.

So it looks like I'm going back NEXT thurs for the test. That's if i don't choke the recruiter out between now and then.

*infuriated applicant*

• Like 1

It sounds like we've had some of the same recruiters (I've got some stories that sound exactly like yours). Back when the AFAST was still in play, I went to MEPS THREE times to take it before I actually did. Each time prior the recruiter messed up and didn't project me properly. Got another dozen stories of similar issues. Not to mention the number of people I had to call and email to get the straight story on the SIFT. Ridiculous. Immensely frustrating, but you know that most of the applicants that make it to the boards REALLY want to be there (unless they were incredibly lucky and everything was smooth for them...). I can't even imagine the number of packets that aren't completed simply because of the effort and IMMENSE patience required.

Anyway, things will work out. Just stay on them, keep verifying everything they tell you, get on the commander if your recruiters keep dodging you, and maybe start up yoga or meditation (I kid, I kid). ;)

Good luck next week and keep us updated!!

• Like 1

Rob - that was what I was trying to do when i called the station and ended up talking to their boss. If they keep this up, I will definitely try somewhere else though.

Linds - thanks for the tip. Misery loves company, although I know we both just wish we were already selected and awaiting a ship date. Not sure about yoga, as it just shows me how inflexible I am and I usually leave more frustrated :-)

• Like 1

Rob - that was what I was trying to do when i called the station and ended up talking to their boss. If they keep this up, I will definitely try somewhere else though.

Linds - thanks for the tip. Misery loves company, although I know we both just wish we were already selected and awaiting a ship date. Not sure about yoga, as it just shows me how inflexible I am and I usually leave more frustrated :-)

Agreed with the yoga!! I am not the most coordinated person in the world and yoga leaves me more frustrated as well. Took a meditation class in college and wanted to...well, I won't say what I wanted to do but I thought it was immensely stupid and the way the teacher talked made my blood pressure shoot through the roof.

...I swear I'm relaxed in the cockpit.

• Like 1

I would of changed stations long ago. I personally "shopped" for a recruiter before settling with the one I have. Personally I wish the army had OSO's like the USMC.

That being said, I had a few mismanaged appointments myself. I was scheduled a Flt physical, months ago and I knew it was a holiday, but the recruiter said that's the date they gave him. I personally called the aviation clinic and asked "are you open on this date" the Flt nurse said yes. I show up on the scheduled date, having taken leave from work and the place is closed.

Unfortunately, most, (not all) tend to treat WOFT applicant as a high school student. They fail to realize that most WOFT applicants are a different breed.

I personally took charge of my packet and scheduled my own flt physical at a different clinic and drive the extra day to ensure I got a good CLASS 1W. I have a good working relationship with my guys so, he was understanding about me taking charge and they appreciated it.

In fact I told them about the SIFT months in advance and a week before the MAR board deadline, I was told I needed to take the SIFT test. It wasn't his fault but the Battalions and MEPS... long story short, I got the test done in time (of course a day later the MAR board was canceled, but that's a different story)

I hate to say this but, I think this is where the difference is between enlisted and officers. Enlistees are trained to follow orders without question, and so they do. Officers are trained to lead and manage. Ask question and get the job done.

How 19th century British of you.

Do try to select Apaches if you are able to put in an application. The enlisted in the other communities will eat your soul.

Recruiters (mostly) have been yanked out of their actual jobs to OJT a completely different line of work. I wouldn't color (colour in your case) your opinions on the rank and file with only your existing brief association.

Good luck, however. May you gain some humility along with the attainment of your goals.

• Like 1

This obey without questioning thing is not the prevalent attitude in every branch. It varies based on the specific mission requirements of each job and is certainly not encouraged in mid to senior enlisted ranks.

If you haven't figured out how to manage and problem solve by the mid career point you're probably not going to get very far, in fact. What was your prior enlisted experience if you don't mind sharing?

Edit: The most recent army school those recruiters attended would likely by ALC or SLC. They are intended to be managerial in nature. Street to seat warrants attend BCT before WOCS and WOBC, so I'm not sure about your analogy.

Edit2: I'm an active e6 with 9 years. Maybe I just didn't get the memo and I'm off base here, but I'm not getting that vibe at all at my workplace. I have to go back about 7 years to think of a time when I wasn't expected to problem solve and find solutions...

I am refering to the topic in question.

I agree its not prevalent attitude in every branch nor in every enlistee. And certainly not the NCOs/SNCOs. However you do have a few. Just like some butter bars/ jr officers are power hungry.

To answer your question. 1st Batt/23rd Marines

If you got more questions PM me.

Rob,

I am not going to get in a pissing match with you. You have a point and I need to reframe what I am saying- A dedicated Special Program personnel would make the WOFT process alot ealier.

I get what Ftxag76 is saying, OUTSIDE of the aviation branch LOWER enlisted tend to act like sheep, I know that because when I went to WLC with all the other branches I saw it first hand.

On the other hand, in the avaition community, especially in a flight company, from E3 and beyond you are expected to manage yourself and ensure the aircraft meets mission and O/R requirements. Aviation breeds a different type of enlisted soldier where problem solving and self help are taught at a young age, other branches are not like that.

And my brother is active duty aviation E5 and my sister is E4(P) active duty MI. They act totally different from each other.

• Like 1

Took SIFT this morning..PASSED! Thanks for all the good informative post on this website. To be completely honest most everything you could want to know about the exam is already someone within this thread, so just read through it. Good Luck!

• Like 2

Anyone have any tips for finding where to take the SIFT as active duty? There is a SSgt on my base Im helping through the process but the education office doesn't have it and the recruiter told him he had to be a civilian to take it at MEPS. I took my AFAST at MEPS so I don't know what to suggest to him.

Anyone have any tips for finding where to take the SIFT as active duty? There is a SSgt on my base Im helping through the process but the education office doesn't have it and the recruiter told him he had to be a civilian to take it at MEPS. I took my AFAST at MEPS so I don't know what to suggest to him.

Opt--

Contact Brad Cook (his email is early in the thread). If you can't find out anything that way, send me a PM and I'll give you a couple more phone numbers/emails to try.