SIFT INFORMATION

I gotta be honest...from all of the CWO's I've spoken to, and at both of my boards, they all said that prior flight experience, while nice, doesn't factor into their decision making process...

Correction. It's not one of the MAIN factors that goes into their decision. But if 2 applicants are close with the same stats except one has a pilot license who do you think they are going to pick?

I would say the main factors are SIFT, College and APFT. I may be a little off but this is the trend I have seen.

Ita really not even those three alone. Different people are selected for different reasons. You all have to understand there isn't a specific formula for awarding points toward selection. They could give you full points because they liked what you offer from your resume and the rest are decent. Some may give you full points due to a LOR. LORs and experience showing you have initiative may counteract a GPA...they look to see if you're someone they find interesting enough to where they would want to be around you.

Remember, some of the most successful people in the country did terrible in college. They know that. Just make sure you have something that stands out.

• Like 1

I knew I forgot one, LOR's is a huge selection factor. I understand what you are saying, it is impossible to know exactly how they choose applicants, I was simply offering some of the big deciding factors that I have seen repeated over the years that I have been following WOFT selection boards.

• Like 1

Please forgive me if I came across aggressive in that nature. By no means am I indicating what you are saying is wrong I just want people to understand it is not really a textbook selection. Each member of the board has their own reasons for liking or disliking a packet and it all plays together.

• Like 2

Look. The only thing you can do is to give 110% on each and every aspect of your packet. Study your ass off for the SIFT, PT as much as possible, get the best LoRs you can, take and crush additional college courses if your GPA is low. It really is that simple. Each board and each person on each board will weigh certain things more than others--there is no magic formula. So we can either spend ten pages arguing and discussing which aspects of the packet mean more than others, OR we can focus on every single aspect of our packet and let the chips fall where they may.

• Like 4

So basically your packet should look like this according to Lindsey

SIFT- Crushed It!

APFT-Crushed it!

LOR's- They say that I have been crushing it x3!

College GPA- Crushed it!

Resume- Tag line "Watch me crush it!"

:D

I just dont think anyone can sit back and hang their packet on one thing. When I submitted I was confident but anxious, its hard to compare yourself to everyone else by a stack of paper, you can't orate your life story to the board, you just hope your numbers are 1/10th better than the next guys.

Obviously the guard guys have it a little different, the board reviewed my packet then formally interviewed me, but I was told they had made their selections with 95% solution before any of us walked into the room. What's on paper matters

Well, to be accurate I said give 110% (effort) on every aspect. Not that you had to be perfect. If, say, your (to use an old example) AFAST score wasn't anything great, that's fine--as long as you put 110% into studying for it. It's the best you can do.

I was just poking some fun I saw you say something about crushing extra college classes in one of your posts earlier on the page.

I agree that nothing in your packet will be perfect, don't sit around and think you could have taken that extra class or done just a few points better on APFT/SIFT, if you look well rounded and have solid scores in your packet you should do well.

• Like 1

Please forgive me if I came across aggressive in that nature. By no means am I indicating what you are saying is wrong I just want people to understand it is not really a textbook selection. Each member of the board has their own reasons for liking or disliking a packet and it all plays together.

I didn't mean to come off as I did either. I was in a rush at the time I posted it and didn't proof read it. I totally agree with you though, I don't want to give a new applicant the impression that those are the only things that matter, because that would be wrong. Thank you clearing up some things that I didn't explain properly.

• Like 1

I went to school for engineering. The math I thought was more difficult than I expected especially given the time and no calculator. There was some advanced math and calculus involved. The mechanical questions were as expected. The identify the shapes was harder than most I had seen. And did not get close to being done did 30/50 roughly. It asked if I play video games!

• Like 2

It is true what everyone has said. It's a whole packet deal. When I submited mine, I had a 225 record APFT, a moral waver, and no LORs from Army Aviators. I still got picked up on the second look. What I *think* saved me was that the rest of the packet said "hey, I'm here to work so just sign the damn thing and let me in." So, yeah, it's all a crap-shoot. Put it the best packet you can and hang on for the ride.

• Like 1

Same old song and dance. Everyone wants a magic pill or formula, but it has always been and will always be the same formula that Lindsey gave.

No packet gets selected if it isn't submitted, and there is no reason not to submit the best packet you can individually compile. Rocket. Science.

• Like 2

Ita really not even those three alone. Different people are selected for different reasons. You all have to understand there isn't a specific formula for awarding points toward selection. They could give you full points because they liked what you offer from your resume and the rest are decent. Some may give you full points due to a LOR. LORs and experience showing you have initiative may counteract a GPA...they look to see if you're someone they find interesting enough to where they would want to be around you.

Remember, some of the most successful people in the country did terrible in college. They know that. Just make sure you have something that stands out.

Again, I've been through the selection process...and was selected...so I've had the opportunity to talk to a few different selection committees. From what I was told by multiple officers - the Army would rather a blank slate when it comes to flight training than have to reteach and break bad habits or incorrect teaching...

If getting a PPL makes you feel more confident - do it...but depending on the selection committee...it probably won't make a bit of difference. They want folks who have a proven educational background with high aptitude, who can assimilate a large amount of information quickly.

Ty-

Im not quite sure where you are coming from with your statement as I didn't say anything about my own packet. I am confident in what I have, which is barely any flight experience, but I think we've all come to agree on that a well rounded packet is the best packet.

Thanks for your input though. Always good to know people who know about who and what the selection committee looks for.

• Like 1

Ty-

Im not quite sure where you are coming from with your statement as I didn't say anything about my own packet. I am confident in what I have, which is barely any flight experience, but I think we've all come to agree on that a well rounded packet is the best packet.

Thanks for your input though. Always good to know people who know about who and what the selection committee looks for.

Sorry, I didn't mean just "you"...but in general. I think there's this idea floating around that a PPL or flight experience provides a leg up, per se. From every single conversation I've had regarding the topic...not one person has supported that...that's all!

Cheers! :-)

Sorry, I didn't mean just "you"...but in general. I think there's this idea floating around that a PPL or flight experience provides a leg up, per se. From every single conversation I've had regarding the topic...not one person has supported that...that's all!

Cheers! :-)

I agree with you. From what I understand it simply shows that you have had interest in aviation, which may help if displayed over a long period of time. But again, I don't really know. Im up for selection in March so hopefully Ill have a better foot to stand on after selection week.

• Like 1