10 year ADSO

1 hour ago, Thedude said:

Nope. If you quit during flight school you are still obligated to fulfill the ADSO and reassigned to the needs of the Army. Your appointment to W1 is a conditional appointment until you graduate flight school so you will revert to whatever enlisted rank you held prior to WOCS. 

Fail a pt test a bunch and you're all set. 

Anyhow,  a 10 year ADSO is an ungodly amount for a branch without a proper Aviation culture. Really sucks for all the street2seat guys coming in or anyone that has prior Aviation experience on the outside. 

For all you upcoming applicants  --- You need to really dig deep down and envision "giving up" potentially up to 12 years on a single contract and what that may or may not do to your life.

• Like 3

dont know for sure but id guess bonuses for re-uping are going to go down the tubes with this as well. Why give you a bonus to keep going when we know you want to anyways. Being so close to retirement.

I'm a career guy. Got 6 years in and plan on doing the rest flying for the army. But having a adso thats the same as the Air Force's despite far less pay, far less expensive training, among other things doesnt sit too well with me.

• Like 2

Me and everyone I know in Common Core are losing their minds.

As a street to seater, the jump to 10 isnt an easy calculation of, “Oh I need to hit retirement anyways.” 

This isn’t what I signed up for. Id rather have the option to do 6 and be incentivize to re-up. I dont see a scenario which they grandfather us in sadly. 

I can understand the gripes about the 10 year obligation when compared to other branches. Especially if you signed up with 6 years in mind only to find out that you now have an additional 4 because of your graduation date. I might catch some flak for this because I'm a street to seat applicant that has yet to be selected, no prior service experience, and no idea about how life as an aviator in the Army actually is but, this new ADSO doesn't really bother me. Call me naive but regardless of whether the obligation is 6 years, 10 years, 15, 20 - I'm all in.

Once again, I state my point. The Army figures that most of the non prior service WOFT applicants will be in their early 20s, unmarried and not too concerned with the additional 4 year obligation. But more importantly, that select group can not comprehend the issues that will arise if and when they marry with the extended commitment. Army service takes a tremendous toll on the families unfortunately.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, nil5038 said:

dont know for sure but id guess bonuses for re-uping are going to go down the tubes with this as well. Why give you a bonus to keep going when we know you want to anyways. Being so close to retirement.

I'm a career guy. Got 6 years in and plan on doing the rest flying for the army. But having a adso thats the same as the Air Force's despite far less pay, far less expensive training, among other things doesnt sit too well with me.

HA. Just wait till you go to a line company, the problems are much worse.

The biggest of which is Aviation culture and heritage which there is ZERO of. To the Army (and what is worse *our own*) you're nothing more than an extra set of hands that can fly an aircraft. It's cancerous. 

So we just a confirmation from higher ups at Bravo company here at Rucker and they said this ADSO applies to whoever graduates WOCS after 1 OCT 20. So whoever is in the pipeline already should be on the old one still.

wowwwww I’m cutting it close. I just signed my contract for a November 2nd ship date, but that date includes Bct and WOCS, both of which I should be skipping. So fingers crossed that they can slip me into the pipeline earlier. Hope for the best prepare for the worst

At least the Army has a heart and not make it effective for everyone graduating in FY21.  So it's based on entry to IERW on or after 1 Oct 20. There must be a lot of flight students breathing quite easier today. 11+ years is a long time if not enjoying the suck.

34 minutes ago, zaurus said:

Nil5038

Are you an RLO reverting to W1 for WOFT? If so which branch? If not, I do not understand why you're skipping BCT and WOCS.

Prior naval Officer, prior prior enlisted soldier. Nice little jigsaw puzzle for ya. Did BCT like 6 years ago, no break in service, then did navy OCS.

Nil5038

That is so cool. You had me guessing. When I was in the USAF, I had a MSgt who worked for me.  He served in the Navy/Marines/Army and Air Force in that order all on active duty. Of course I didn't believe him and bet him $50. Next day, he brought in 3 uniforms and 3 former active duty DD214s at work. He set me up good. I bet he makes a good living at this, even to the present day.

What was your career field in the Navy after OCS?

44 minutes ago, zaurus said:

Nil5038

That is so cool. You had me guessing. When I was in the USAF, I had a MSgt who worked for me.  He served in the Navy/Marines/Army and Air Force in that order all on active duty. Of course I didn't believe him and bet him $50. Next day, he brought in 3 uniforms and 3 former active duty DD214s at work. He set me up good. I bet he makes a good living at this, even to the present day.

What was your career field in the Navy after OCS?

A flight student............been trying to keep that under wraps but hey. Here we are. Going to church for confession time.

I had an attitude problem to be honest. came into flight school a little arrogant. I was passing but by the skin of my teeth. Had a great gpa from college so I wasn’t really taking advice on how to study. Just assumed I can figure it on on my own. Then after graduating the second phase of flight school I was awarded my flight suit, feeling pumped....then the CO called me into the office and told me there’s a force reduction and he has to up the standards. So what was an 80 test average Needed to progress turned into 82 (I had 81.8) and what was a 25 NSS (compilation of test scores, pt test and flights) was increased to 35 (I had 34).

bad luck of that aside....it was 100% my fault. Better discipline means less reliance needed on luck. Spent the past two years struggling to get back into a cockpit so adso aside I’m super ecstatic to get back into a cockpit. And failing by that slim of a margin will definitely motivate me to go the extra yard. Or for the extra point.

End of rant.

• Like 1

On 6/9/2020 at 3:47 PM, nil5038 said:

A flight student............been trying to keep that under wraps but hey. Here we are. Going to church for confession time.

I had an attitude problem to be honest. came into flight school a little arrogant. I was passing but by the skin of my teeth. Had a great gpa from college so I wasn’t really taking advice on how to study. Just assumed I can figure it on on my own. Then after graduating the second phase of flight school I was awarded my flight suit, feeling pumped....then the CO called me into the office and told me there’s a force reduction and he has to up the standards. So what was an 80 test average Needed to progress turned into 82 (I had 81.8) and what was a 25 NSS (compilation of test scores, pt test and flights) was increased to 35 (I had 34).

bad luck of that aside....it was 100% my fault. Better discipline means less reliance needed on luck. Spent the past two years struggling to get back into a cockpit so adso aside I’m super ecstatic to get back into a cockpit. And failing by that slim of a margin will definitely motivate me to go the extra yard. Or for the extra point.

End of rant.

Hey, that's still cool. You're still going for it, a lot of people would've given up before now. The fact you're still pushing ahead is a really good reflection of character. I'm sure you'll do well in the army.

• Like 1

On 6/6/2020 at 1:23 PM, Cantankerously said:

When I got selected it was a 60/40 split between street to seat and prior. I was just curious if the numbers are still similar. With a 10 year ADSO and an 8 year max time in service requirement it significantly reduces the in house pool as well. 

Cantankerously

I assume in your 60/40 split, you had no idea on the number of street2seat applicants who had previous military service.  Is that a correct statement?

12 hours ago, RotaryWing33 said:

So would this potentially raise someone’s chances to get selected if they are  applying for woft as a civilian with no prior service? 

Maybe, maybe not. I like you enjoyed (over) analyzing any potential factor.

Write a concise quantifiable essay about why you’re qualified to be a warrant officer and an aviator. Train to get a 280-300 APFT score (ACFT now?) Get solid LORs, and if you can try to get in the 60s+ club on the SIFT. Do that and you win a spot in flight school.

Pro tip: Help write your letter of recommendation. Give your people a scaffold to build on. Nothing sucks more than *starting* an essay. Just because you have that swoopty CW5 writing your LOR doesnt mean he writes fantastic LORs (although they usually do)

Best of luck, PM with any questions. Im no expert but Im happy to share what worked for me.

• Like 1

On 6/7/2020 at 8:11 AM, zaurus said:

Once again, I state my point. The Army figures that most of the non prior service WOFT applicants will be in their early 20s, unmarried and not too concerned with the additional 4 year obligation. But more importantly, that select group can not comprehend the issues that will arise if and when they marry with the extended commitment. Army service takes a tremendous toll on the families unfortunately.

Folks, listen to zaurus. 

• Like 3