10 year ADSO

11 minutes ago, Alice'sRestaurant said:

I just signed my WOFT contract at MEPS on Thursday with the idea of a 6 year ADSO. Looks like I'll be doing 10 years instead...dang

I would be inclined to say that your contract is still 6 year ADSO. If I am reading this correctly, this applies to officers that attend initial flight school after October 1st 2021. I wish this was a little more clear. 

4 minutes ago, Mrhoodhimself07 said:

I would be inclined to say that your contract is still 6 year ADSO. If I am reading this correctly, this applies to officers that attend initial flight school after October 1st 2021. I wish this was a little more clear. 

Check this post out on Reddit: https://www.reddit.com/r/Armyaviation/comments/gxcx3o/10_year_adso_is_official/

The consensus seems to be that if you graduate flight school in FY 2021, you accrue the 10 year ADSO. It doesn't matter that the WOFT contract I signed this week states that it is a 6 year ADSO - the Army can do and change what it wants.

Alice's restaurant 

That's what the Army was counting on. Extra 4 years would NOT make a difference.  Looks like 11-11.5 year total commitment. The Army should be able to meet their quota through CAREER Enlisted personnel ONLY if they must. Wonder if you can get out early if NOT making CW3 or must you hang around. Time will tell.

Fly safe longer.

6 minutes ago, zaurus said:

MrHoodHimself07

Fiscal Yr 2021 starts Oct 1, 2020. I assume if you're not in flight school by that date, your commitment is just as long as the Air Force if not a little bit longer.

I'm thinking Army will start pushing dates to the right as much as possible to achieve its newfound maximum retention.

9 minutes ago, zaurus said:

MrHoodHimself07

Fiscal Yr 2021 starts Oct 1, 2020. I assume if you're not in flight school by that date, your commitment is just as long as the Air Force if not a little bit longer.

Hah oh good catch. I’m a turd for putting 2021. 10 is a big commitment either way. I’m a career guy so I don’t mind but initially it can be daunting.

45 minutes ago, JH11B said:

Your flight school ADSO is based on when you graduate WOBC and pin on your flight wings. You can review the rules in AR 600-3 if memory serves. 

You incur a 6-year ADSO for completing WOBC and also for completing Initial flight training. They run concurrently, but the latter takes precedence, so your 6 (or 10) year ADSO begins the date you graduate Flight School.

Reference AR 350-100, para. 2-6, e.

5 hours ago, zaurus said:

I assume you're in flight school officially once completing BCT and WOCS. Perhaps it's just for RLOs but don't count on that.

It is for anyone graduating flight school and should be based on your graduation date. Start date has no impact on this. If you graduate after 1 Oct 2020 expect a 10 year service obligation. 

Excerpt from your enlistment contract which every one of has (or will, if selected) signed. 

b. Laws and regulations that govern military personnel may
change without notice to me. Such changes may affect my status,
pay, allowances, benefits, and responsibilities as a member of the
Armed Forces REGARDLESS of the provisions of this enlistment/
reenlistment document.

11 hours ago, zaurus said:

Can you imagine the smile on more than a few faces of the last graduating class in Fy 2020 in September. 4 years closer to RTAG if they're hiring. But then again, it's 4 more years of employment or should I say deployments.

This! I’m scheduled to graduate, 1st or 2nd week of September. Getting in just under the wire. I am planning on staying in anyway but that 10 year also looms big if everything sucks and you hate it

13 hours ago, zaurus said:

Can you imagine the smile on more than a few faces of the last graduating class in Fy 2020 in September. 4 years closer to RTAG if they're hiring. But then again, it's 4 more years of employment or should I say deployments.

Then 10 year service obligation put me right at 20 so I’m not too worried about that. But I’m a guard guy so RTAG is at the end of hooker advanced airframe for me 😁 they’ll be hiring, all my airline buddies said everything is ramping back up. 

Cantankerously

Even if the increase in commitment lowers the civilian WOFT applicant numbers, the in house career Enlisted pool will fill the void. The Army may produce an average of 1200 Warrant Officers pilots annually including the Guard and Reserves. More career Enlisted apply than street2seat on a yearly basis. The Army likes to have a balance between the two but they can change that over night. That's the Army's ace in the hole. The Army has more career Enlisted soldiers willing to cross over for the opportunity in being an Officer, pilot and increase in pay for their families, with or without a degree. If the civilians don't want to join, not a problem. People tend to forget, a portion of the street2seat WOFT applicants are prior service. I bet less than 400 WOFT selected are non prior service on a annual basis. Not difficult for the Army in finding 400 additional career minded E-3 to E-7 for the WOFT program if need be. They just can't have over 8 years TIS without a waiver.

8 minutes ago, zaurus said:

Cantankerously

Even if the increase in commitment lowers the civilian WOFT applicant numbers, the in house career Enlisted pool will fill the void. The Army may produce an average of 1200 Warrant Officers pilots annually including the Guard and Reserves. More career Enlisted apply than street to seat on a yearly basis. The Army likes to have a balance between the two but they can change that over night. That's the Army's ace in the hole. The Army has more career Enlisted willing to cross over for the opportunity in being an Officer and increase in pay for the family, with or without a degree. If the civilians don't want to join, not a problem. People tend to forget, a portion of street to seat WOFT applicants are prior service. I bet less than 300 WOFT selected are non prior service on a annual basis. Not difficult for the Army in finding 300 additional NCOs for the WOFT program if need be.

When I got selected it was a 60/40 split between street to seat and prior. I was just curious if the numbers are still similar. With a 10 year ADSO and an 8 year max time in service requirement it significantly reduces the in house pool as well. 

3 hours ago, toucan said:

So uh... is quitting a thing?

Nope. If you quit during flight school you are still obligated to fulfill the ADSO and reassigned to the needs of the Army. Your appointment to W1 is a conditional appointment until you graduate flight school so you will revert to whatever enlisted rank you held prior to WOCS.