Intro, Updates, Advice

Hello everyone,

I am also working towards my WOFT packet. I am close to the end with just the flight physical and the need for a higher APFT score in which I am working on. For everyone else out there how long did it take for you to get your flight physical scheduled? Also did you get the 3/4 body photograph taken professionally or just a regular digital copy?

Lindsey, you're almost overqualified for WOFT now that you're pushing the master's degree program. hahaha! :lol: The hardest part for you will be the wait between the time you get accepted to the time you actually get to get your hands on a cyclic + collective. Just from the time I got to Rucker alone, it's going to take nearly 9 months... and that's without the supermassive bubble.

Good luck! :)

Hello everyone,

I am also working towards my WOFT packet. I am close to the end with just the flight physical and the need for a higher APFT score in which I am working on. For everyone else out there how long did it take for you to get your flight physical scheduled? Also did you get the 3/4 body photograph taken professionally or just a regular digital copy?

Is it not a DA photo? Have your recruiter set up a date and time to go on post and get it taken there. Have you asked your recruiter about it?

Edited by SBuzzkill

New member here,

Nick

26 years old

B.S. Economics from Texas A&M, working on a B.S. Physics from UT-Dallas

15 hours in a Cessna 172

Haven't taken the ASVAB or AFAST yet

Just made first contact with a recruiter and will be going into the office to start my WOFT application this week

I have been looking around a lot on this forum and feel pretty knowledgeable about the process, I just have a few questions about the WO life in general. I'm hoping this is the right place to post this, if any current AD WO's are out there just let me know and I'll send the questions your way. Thanks

I am an AD WO1 currently here at Rucker in flight school. Fire away.

I have a few questions concerning the board. What type of questions did they ask you, and how long was the interview? Also how exactly does the selection process work? If 2 to 3 of the officers interviewing you recommend you do you get accepted or does a higher authority review all of the recommended packets and picks based on the Army needs? I greatly appreciate the time everyone puts in to help us wannabe Army aviators figure things out.

My questions are pretty random.

1. During flight school, do you just find an apartment near Ft. Rucker or are students supposed to stay somewhere determined by the Army? I'm a single guy, so I'm hoping we are able to just live with a couple buddies to save the money.

2. There is plenty of info on here about flight school, but what is the future of Army aviation looking like with the pulling out of the middle east? Still plenty of action and deployments available for pilots?

3. Right now, I'm really just wanting to fly and fly a lot. Are Warrants at any kind of disadvantage to commissioned guys as far as what kind of missions you can fly and responsibilities as a pilot?

4. I've heard that Army Warrants are the best helo pilots in the world, are they eligible for test pilot school? And are there any kind of advanced degree opportunities available?

5.How long does it take to move up from WO 1 to 2, etc...?

Sorry for the randomness, that's pretty much all I can think of right now. Thanks for any help.

Found this, great info about requirements for your packet, examples, questions the board may ask, grading sheet for the board, and lots more. A 30 second Google search is your friend ;)

http://www.usarec.ar...UBS/R601_91.pdf

Another good source of info

http://www.usarec.ar...requ/woft.shtml

As for the board, I enjoyed mine. The officers were very easy to talk to, lasted about 10-15 minutes, and after we talked about all kinds of Army related stuff like it wasn't even a board interview anymore. But of all the questions asked, only one was one listed on that first link.

Edited by t.o.n.y

Yes, we fly. I dont see much of a drawdown in the aviation components soon. We are supposed to fly about 110ish hours a year in garrison. Warrants as a career will fly more, and you can have great responsibilities such as flight lead, etc.

Yes, Warrants can and do go to Test Pilot school.

Most of my buddies live off post with roomates and bank a ton of BAH. I live on post.

CW2 is an automatic promotion at 24 months, but I have heard they stretched it to 36 months.

As for the board, I had no aviators on mine, so the questins were very generic, and it lasted maybe 5 minutes. Yes, your packet goes to a higher board at USAREC for selection.

It's hard to get a feel for where you want to live without exploring the area. I lived in Enterprise, which is where 90% of the students who lived off post were. I liked it a lot, lived in the Wakefield neighborhood, which was within drunken walking distance of almost everything in E-prise. We also had a pretty good pool area where everyone seemed to go hang out on the nice days.

My BWS stick buddy bought a house in Dothan, and it seemed to work out fine for him. I knew a few guys who lived in Dothan, you can definitely get better prices on housing. Enterprise area is radically inflated. You're in the main town so it's an easy trip to the big stores and whatnot. But you're driving 20+ minutes to work every morning, which means you can't just pop home for lunch.

There were also a couple guys who lived up in Ozark, which didn't sound too bad although there really isn't much up there. Better than living in the trailer park right outside the Daleville gate (yes, I have a friend who lived there as well) LoL! Both of them were the quiet type who had wives and didn't do much hard partying.

CW2 is an automatic promotion at 24 months, but I have heard they stretched it to 36 months.

That proposal is dead for now. Some General at Rucker didn't like it and put a stop to it, although whenever he moves on it will probably come up again. It had a lot of support from pretty much everyone except the guy who had to make the final decision on it.

Anyone out there have any info or advice on the depth perception test during the class 1A flight physical? I'll be getting mine done at Ft Hood and was just wondering if they use the machine for this test that is used at MEPS? Found that test a bit difficult and was hoping they use another method. Thanks

Wow, that doesn't sound nearly as bad as the MEPS test. Another question I have is that I have taken the ASTB, the flight aptitude test used by the Navy and Marines, should I even bring this up to my recruiter to include in my package? Or does this have no relevance at all? I'm assuming I'll still definitely have to take the AFAST.

• 3 weeks later...

Last check ride in flight school complete! Will be out of here in three weeks! I started the process in May 2009, arrived at WOCS in April 2010, started primary a year later and now I'm one of the Army's newest Apache pilots. It can be done people, but it's a big commitment. Best of luck and quit procrastinating!

Dutch.

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...

So I am hitting a bump in my packet process, At the end of January I started to try to get my flight physical scheduled, my recruiters called battalion command that gave them a number to contact to schedule the physical, they tried that number for a few weeks leaving messages Etc but no one would answer or respond back. Now I am being told that my recruiters contacted the battalion command and that battalion will be handling scheduling the physical.

It is now 2 weeks into March and still no physical scheduled, I called my recruiter today and he said they are still waiting to hear back from battalion. This is the last main obstacle to complete my packet so I am getting a little anxious. Is there anything I can do to get this scheduled quicker?