Intro, Updates, Advice

I now have a date for my LASIK surgery: January 21st.

Things are really starting to fall into place! I am very thankful, that's for sure.

Lindsey,

Be cautious about the LASIK. I have seen a few folks flying careers come to an abrupt ending because of LASIK.

Don't do it unless you really have to. Make certain that the FS says you're good to go with it. You might just ring up an AME and ask for opinions.

Once the procedure is done, there is no turning back.

Just make an "informed" decision.

All the best

Cheers,

Rotorrodent :)

Lindsey,

Be cautious about the LASIK. I have seen a few folks flying careers come to an abrupt ending because of LASIK.

Don't do it unless you really have to. Make certain that the FS says you're good to go with it. You might just ring up an AME and ask for opinions.

Once the procedure is done, there is no turning back.

Just make an "informed" decision.

All the best

Cheers,

Rotorrodent :)

Aw rotorrodent, I appreciate it - but I had LASIK three months ago and it was very successful. I am now 20/15 in each eye. Rest assured I did a great deal of research before choosing LASIK. Thanks for the concern though!!

Micah,

I went to my recruiters office and filled out my resume on his computer because I could not open that resume file. It only takes a few minutes. Then he printed it out and scanned it in.

Austin

Now that you mention this, I think my recruiter may have filled one out on his computer with the resume I initially turned in. I'll have to double check with him to make sure it is in the correct format.

Hey Micah - I made my own on Microsoft Word that mimicked the WOFT Resume Template USAREC has. I've attached the Template I used (just deleted my personal stuff); feel free to use it! Let me know if you have questions. If you'd like to see my completed resume, just send me a PM with your email.

Wow, you're really a go-getter! Thanks a lot.

I'm still waiting for my flight physical to get scheduled at Ft. Knox. So much waiting..... In the mean time I'm keeping up with PT and finishing up my PPL.

Thanks for the help guys!

Micah

I had to rewrite my letter three times to get my handwriting in order. I guess it worked.

Civilian WOFT boards ARE held once a month. The current service boards are every other month.

Edited by akscott60

:huh:

I had to rewrite my letter three times to get my handwriting in order. I guess it worked.

Civilian WOFT boards ARE held once a month. The current service boards are every other month.

Thank you thank you thank you thank you!!

This alleviates so much pressure, it's ridiculous. It also makes the "cutoff" dates much closer to the board dates! None of this cutoff day for July board being May 15th crap. Hallelujah. Happy Lindsey. :D

lol to be honest with you guys I had to google the cursive alphabet to refresh my memory..... it's been awhile since third grade haha. I didn't know about the frequency of civilian woft boards, that's good news. And Lindsey, great job on your AFAST.

Thank you! I have a feeling I will be googling the cursive alphabet soon myself...

Hi,

I have was accepted during the first quarter board. I am leaving for BCT on june first. My best advice is to take a few lessons or even get your private pilots license in a helicopter. Also make sure you have the best possible PT scores you can possibly muster. When I was in my interview the only things that I was asked about was my flight experience, law violations, what I knew of army aviation, and my feeling and decisions on what to do if I didnt get picked first time around. I understand from that conversation they are looking for people with an absolute love of aviation and desire to succeed no matter what. They also made it clear that it is so competitive that it could very well come down to your PT scores. Lastly I know for a fact if you show you have potential more than anything else to become a great aviator they will pass your packet on to the Rucker board.

Good Luck.

Hi,

I have was accepted during the first quarter board. I am leaving for BCT on june first. My best advice is to take a few lessons or even get your private pilots license in a helicopter. Also make sure you have the best possible PT scores you can possibly muster. When I was in my interview the only things that I was asked about was my flight experience, law violations, what I knew of army aviation, and my feeling and decisions on what to do if I didnt get picked first time around. I understand from that conversation they are looking for people with an absolute love of aviation and desire to succeed no matter what. They also made it clear that it is so competitive that it could very well come down to your PT scores. Lastly I know for a fact if you show you have potential more than anything else to become a great aviator they will pass your packet on to the Rucker board.

Good Luck.

My packet is being submitted tomorrow for a board on thursday. 140 afast, 127 GT, 229 PT, 5 LORs, 1 from a CW5 and I am a commercial single/multi CFI, CFII with just under 2000 hours. Hopefully my PT is good enough, seems to be the weakest part of my packet.

What kind of specific questions did they ask you at the interview?

My packet is being submitted tomorrow for a board on thursday. 140 afast, 127 GT, 229 PT, 5 LORs, 1 from a CW5 and I am a commercial single/multi CFI, CFII with just under 2000 hours. Hopefully my PT is good enough, seems to be the weakest part of my packet.

What kind of specific questions did they ask you at the interview?

They asked me questions that were about my potential to learn, and my commitment to becoming an army WO. It was extremely tailored to my packet. They had three copies of it and were thumbing through it to ask me questions. My best advice is that if love what you want to do then express that to them.

• 2 weeks later...

Update

Recruiter gave me a call the other day; apparently the doctor at MEPS refuses to look at/clear my LASIK paperwork until it has been 6 months post-LASIK, so 21 July 2010. Only then will he look at it (hopefully clear it), and I can do my MEPS Physical and schedule my Flight Physical, and then go to the Board. If I'm lucky, this will push me to the September USAREC board. If I can't get the Flight Physical scheduled immediately after MEPS, then the October USAREC board is more likely. I first contacted my recruiter 2 November 2009. :blink:

I am curious as to what you guys think about September / October board dates. September is the last board for FY2010, and October is the first for FY2011. Am I correct in assuming that it would actually probably be best to aim for October, since there will (in all likelihood) be very few slots left by the time September rolls around? Obviously, I'm not going to purposefully delay my packet until October, but I'm also not going to rush things if it is uncommon for an average number of selections to be made in September.

I'm not sure if it has changed, but when I put my packet together, if you weren't selected the packet went to the next board automatically. If you weren't selected after the second board, you had to resubmit your packet. If that is still the case, you don't really need to "pick" September or October.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm wondering what the flight doc during your physical will say about your Lasik. It was my understanding when I went through the woft packet process in 2007 and I was getting my eye surgery done, I had to get the PRK because the Lasik procedure wasn't allowed for candidates looking to go through the flight program. The PRK at the time was a lot more beneficial, and a much better procedure than the Lasik.

Hope it isn't a problem for you. Best of luck!

Edited by RagMan

• 1 month later...

Haha the good old Clarion. Man I hate that place...

No kidding. The most exciting events this evening so far have been a one-block walk to 7/11 and an Army vs. Air Force game of Taboo (Army kicked ass).

Oh, and a future 18X failout asked me to massage his leg.

No kidding. The most exciting events this evening so far have been a one-block walk to 7/11 and an Army vs. Air Force game of Taboo (Army kicked ass).

Oh, and a future 18X failout asked me to massage his leg.

LOL for me it was Army vs Marines every time (not taboo, just hating on one another)....and I was the only army applicant. infact on my last visit I was the only applicant not going into the Marines.

Edited by Flying Bison

LMFAO

I'm glad you found it funny! Ha. I would bet you $20 he fails out of Basic.

Anyway, I passed everything, and received the "QUALIFIED" stamp. Hallelujah! Oh, and just for kicks, I got the "Qualified for Airborne Training" stamp. It was only an additional eye test and another form. Ya never know!