Intro, Updates, Advice

I'm sorry to hear that, Lindsey.

I know for the Hawk, there have been a few people I know who had to do a physical reach check. One in particular the IP had her lock her harness, and get to the backup hydraulic pump switch, from the right seat. (It's the left and forward most switch on the overhead console in an A/L). They did it, fwiw.

In your situation, I'd start with the flight surgeon; particularly the one who told you that you were good in the first place.

Don't give up or get discouraged. It's only a setback, at this point.

Lindsey,

See what the measurements actually were and if you were close. If you are, then I would try remeasuring and really stretching those arms. I had to go back and get remeasured (although my original measurements were not taken at the flight physical) and passed the second time. Also, like these guys are saying, you can get an in-cockpit evaluation. Good Luck!

Micah

4–16. Linear anthropometric dimensions

The causes of medical unfitness for flying duty Classes 1/2/2F/3/4 are the following:

a. Initial Classes 1/2/2F. Failure to meet linear anthropometric standards. Total arm reach equal to or greater than

164.0cm. Sitting height equal to or less than 102.0 cm. Crotch height equal to or greater than 75.0 cm. (See ATB,

Anthropometry.)

b. Class 3. Linear anthropometric measurements and body composition not compatible with aviation or crew

member safety, or operational effectiveness at the Class 3 aircrew member’s workstation.

AR 40-501

This is just another bump in the road.

I've been to MEPS 10 times, taken the ASVAB twice, have fought hard for every single step in the process, had my flight phys. lost, had to get a Congressman, and the Pentagon involved to get it found. My board date is in three days, after two years of work.

You will get through this. It's just another bump, do not give up!

Lindsey,

I definitely know of people that were able to get checked out in-cockpit to determine if they would be able to fly or not.

Don't let this get you down. Out of high school, I was listed as permanently disqualified for military service because of childhood asthma. It took 4 tries to get into the Army and another to get into aviation but I'm here now. You keep at it long enough and you'll eventually get in. Good luck.

Blake

Thanks everyone!! It means a LOT.

I got my specs today - I'm 5cm off on Total Arm Reach and ONE cm off on Leg Length. Next step is figuring out if I can do the in-cockpit eval at Fort Lewis, WA. Checking on that tomorrow.

L

Thanks everyone!! It means a LOT.

I got my specs today - I'm 5cm off on Total Arm Reach and ONE cm off on Leg Length. Next step is figuring out if I can do the in-cockpit eval at Fort Lewis, WA. Checking on that tomorrow.

L

That's NOTHING Lindsey. You so got this! Stretch those legs and arms girl! :)

• 3 months later...

Still working on my PPL! (Dang wx). Having a BLAST! Still goin' after WOFT, just not in such a big scramble at the moment. No worries--I'm lovin' life! :D

• 1 month later...

Don't lose your momentum Lindsey. This is my first post and I haven't been lurking for long but have already learned so much from you, your story, and your motivation. You got a lot done in a year don't let a hiccup bog you down. Get your in-cockpit fit test and go for it.

I'm the kind of person that will evaluate major life decisions from every angle for a long time and then wait for a while to make sure I'm still happy with the decision. Really boring I know, but I get my indecisiveness from my parents. Anyway even being like that and being seriously interested in WOFT, just reading your posts and blog are enough to make me get everything in order now and get my packet pushed through.

Meeting with a Capt. that flies 64's in the national guard here in Tx soon to talk about army aviation. Going to set up an intro flight sometime in the future and maybe some ground school. Super hydrating myself currently to get ready for my PT starting next week, I love Dr. Pepper a little too much. Should be able to max in the APFT in about 3 months if I stick with it, the advantage of my body type. Will start studying after I make my final decision to go ahead then get everything pushed through as quickly as possible.

And the defense budget says the army is training 1500 NEW pilots!

Military.com had a news headline outlining defense budget approvals for military aviation in FY2011 & 2012. Guess it finally got pushed through after congress stopped arguing. It was a couple of weeks ago. I'm sorry I don't have the link.

What that means for me is I need to hurry up and get my but in shape so I can drop my packet. If I can give any advice it would be not to start smoking. I smoked for the last two years and now the thing holding me back in PT is that I can't breathe like I use too. I don't cramp up or hit a wall I just cannot expand my lungs enough to get the air I need. This is really frustrating, but I'll work past it. I'll have to bust my ass that much more because I was stupid.

...I smoked for the last two years and now the thing holding me back in PT is that I can't breathe like I use too. I don't cramp up or hit a wall I just cannot expand my lungs enough to get the air I need...

It still amazes me how so many people actually choose to do to themselves what nature did to me! <_<

Sorry to say, I don't think an asthma inhailer would help with 'smokers lungs'.

Good luck dude.

• 7 months later...

Back in the WOFT packet circus again. ;) Since I've last posted, I am a commercial helicopter pilot working on my CFI and instrument ratings. I want to get these done civilian and instruct while I put my packet together. For the experience and because I love my flight school and I quite enjoy civilian flying. However, flying for the Army is what I am meant to do, and so here I am. It's been a lot of fun, and my packet is only stronger because of it. Despite my ratings, I have also been working at Boeing Field for a year and a half as line service, and I am also going to start taking Masters classes from Embry-Riddle.

Sometime while I'm putting my packet together again I'm going to have to fly out to Fort Rucker to get a waiver for my 5cm too-short total arm reach. Maybe in the next couple months? Anyway, if any of you will still be there then, I'd be up for a beer! Also, if anyone knows of anyone who has had to do this, please let me know.

Anyway, just wanted to wave hello again and hopefully get this section of the forums up and running again. I've enjoyed watching those of you whom were working on your packets at the same time as me get selected and begin training!

Lindsey

If anyone from the civ side needs some help, advice or just a peek at their packet, hit me up. My packet took 11 months from start to selected and anything that could go wrong, did. Four separate times I was told I couldn't continue and was done, once even after being selected. Fortunately I was able to find the right contacts to prove otherwise each time and just waiting to ship out now. So even if you get thrown something unexpected, don't lose hope and don't give up. Feel free to shoot me a message if needed.

Tony

• Like 1