WARRANT OFFICER FLIGHT TRAINING

I took the SIFT about two years ago back when I was still in the AF. It had just changed over to the SIFT and no information was published. I was one of the fools that thought I could not study for it and IIRC I got 1 point over fail (41 maybe). It was so depressing I haven't even considered my life-long dream of flying an Apache since. Any news on retakes for those that pass? I work for Comcast now but I was a C-17 Loadmaster for 5yrs.

Hey I had to improve my GT to get it over a 110 and take the SIFT in the same week right before I deployed. I made a 112 on my GT and a 47 on my SIFT. I'm now flying Apaches. Definitely don't let anything stop you or slow you down.

• Like 3

Hey I had to improve my GT to get it over a 110 and take the SIFT in the same week right before I deployed. I made a 112 on my GT and a 47 on my SIFT. I'm now flying Apaches. Definitely don't let anything stop you or slow you down.

I agree with Napoleon. I wasted 10 years talking myself out of applying because I felt I was weak in one area or another. KingFen, just build your packet and submit it. The unique thing about the board is that you never know who you are competing against or what the selection rate will be. All you can do is submit the packet and hope for the best. If you feel your SIFT score is weak, then counter that with a high PT score and GT score. Those are tests you can take over and over until you get them where you want. A strong resume', strong civilian education history, and strong LORs go a long way as well. If your SIFT is weak but everything else is "top-notch", then you will appear more competitive than someone who scored really well on the SIFT but lacks in other areas. They are looking for a well-rounded leader - present an application that says that about you. The SIFT is by no means the end all be all qualifier or disqualifier. You have a qualifying score, but boost yourself by being strong in other areas and you should be fine.

• Like 1

Maybe even contact some of your old pilots and see if they would be willing to write you an LOR. I always try and keep in contact with my old pilots. I spent some of my best times with them and never know when you could use their help with something

Random question about stenciling, a lot of my gear (i.e. tan t-shirts, boots, laundry bag, duffle bag) are already marked with my name, should I purchase new gear or just add the stenciling to what is already there? On my shirts, my name is on the inside of the collar, but on my duffle bag it's pretty large in black sharpie.

Random question about stenciling, a lot of my gear (i.e. tan t-shirts, boots, laundry bag, duffle bag) are already marked with my name, should I purchase new gear or just add the stenciling to what is already there? On my shirts, my name is on the inside of the collar, but on my duffle bag it's pretty large in black sharpie.

Do not purchase new gear just because your old stuff is stenciled. Just add the stenciing. Really the stenciing is just a roundabout rite-of-passage-but-really-just-to-mark-your-clothes-for-the-laundry-people thing.

• 2 weeks later...

I am trying to prepare to take the SIFT Test sometime this year and was wondering on the best study guide for the SIFT test. Anyone got any suggestions?

There are whole threads on this forum specifically discussing the SIFT.

• Like 2

So I'm new here and I would like to hear from someone on this. I'm currently in the Air National Guard and a prior service USMC E-3 Infantry. I just started looking into this 3 weeks ago I already got a PRK surgery scheduled for my eyes this Saturday 3/26 and I was told by a recruiter that I have to wait up to 1 year till after the surgery. I also hear that it's only 6 months could someone please help shine some light on this. Also if anyone knows how many LORs we should get and from who I would appreciate that as well.

So I'm new here and I would like to hear from someone on this. I'm currently in the Air National Guard and a prior service USMC E-3 Infantry. I just started looking into this 3 weeks ago I already got a PRK surgery scheduled for my eyes this Saturday 3/26 and I was told by a recruiter that I have to wait up to 1 year till after the surgery. I also hear that it's only 6 months could someone please help shine some light on this. Also if anyone knows how many LORs we should get and from who I would appreciate that as well.

By regulation, it's 90 days after eye surgery (PRK,LASIK) idk where the 6 month is coming from. Unless that's a meps rule but as far as your initial flight physical it's 90 days post op. I did my second eye exam 110 days after my surgery. Got my physical stamped 130 days after my surgery. Submitted my packet 131 days after my surgery. Was board ready 3 days later. If you stay on top of it you could probably shrink that number by 15 days or so. If you don't believe me google fort Rucker aeromedical standards. The eye section states the time frame I listed above. If anyone is telling you otherwise, print it out and show them on paper. They may be misinformed, but if that's not the case maybe I'm misinformed. Just how it worked out for me.

By regulation, it's 90 days after eye surgery (PRK,LASIK) idk where the 6 month is coming from. Unless that's a meps rule but as far as your initial flight physical it's 90 days post op. I did my second eye exam 110 days after my surgery. Got my physical stamped 130 days after my surgery. Submitted my packet 131 days after my surgery. Was board ready 3 days later. If you stay on top of it you could probably shrink that number by 15 days or so. If you don't believe me google fort Rucker aeromedical standards. The eye section states the time frame I listed above. If anyone is telling you otherwise, print it out and show them on paper. They may be misinformed, but if that's not the case maybe I'm misinformed. Just how it worked out for me.

Hmmm. I know Lindsey had LASIK. Would be interested to see what she or anyone else has to say. My recruiters were very firm about a 6 month wait from date of surgery.

So what about LORs for guard members? My brother is a retired Lt Commander is he allowed to write one? Also would my civilian employer be a better reference due to the fact he knows me better than my military chain of command, or should I get LORs from my chain of command? I live in Houston, TX if anyone could help with this or knows someone I would appreciate it thank you.

So what about LORs for guard members? My brother is a retired Lt Commander is he allowed to write one? Also would my civilian employer be a better reference due to the fact he knows me better than my military chain of command, or should I get LORs from my chain of command? I live in Houston, TX if anyone could help with this or knows someone I would appreciate it thank you.

I'm going to guess that Guard is very similar to Reserves. In that case, at minimum, I had to have my Company CO, a field grade officer, and a CW3 or higher. These were the standards given to me, I would say at the very least get one from your Commander.

A civilian employer will be a great reference, especially in the Guard paradigm. I don't think your brother would be a good choice, unless you conceal the fact that he is family, which is not a good way to start into a field that requires strong trust.

These are just opinions. I'm not even selected... yet.

The above two comments are spot on. The Guard will lay out what is required for your packet in that state however when it comes to LORs, the usual of CO, and a CW3 or higher are a common requirement. As for the rest, it varies. I had one from my CO, a CW5 IP that is very well known across the entire state, and the third was from my civilian employer (highest level at the local region) who happens to also be a Command E9 in the Air Guard.

Get with your WOSM and find out the minimums for your packet for your LORs and go from there.

Message me if you need anything else.