WARRANT OFFICER FLIGHT TRAINING

Thanks Creep.

Can you not get a conditional release?

Not sure if I can, I graduated the course(Psyop QC) in the summer of last year, throughout the entire year of training, everyone always stressed how we needed 3 years retainability upon graduation. Even so, I need some more time in this unit before I go asking my company and BN commander for an LOR.

Hey everyone,

I will be attending WOCS and Flight School here soon and was wondering if anyone could maybe shed some light on how the training process works after you complete WOCS. I know WOBC, SERE, etc follow after, but I am just curious to know the process such as when you are able to PCS and find a place to live. I've done some research and found some helpful such as

ALARACT 044/2014‐TRAINING TRAVEL GUIDANCE FOR AVIATION OFFICER AND

WARRANT OFFICER ACCESSIONS. I am a reversits currently but going active once I complete training. Any information will be helpful. Thank you in advance for any help.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All! I'm new around here and actually just started with my civilian packet for WOFT. I just want to thank you guys/gals for all the info just from browsing around on this forum. I'm at the point where I'm trying to get LORs so some of you might receive a request via PM with my stats and contact info.

The process so far:

My recruiter is looking at dates for my APFT on February 18th. I'm hoping to get a perfect 300. I've been trying to train to Ranger standards and only have 3 weeks left. My SIFT is scheduled for the second week of April, and if all goes well with the rest of the process, we're looking at May 19th for the board interview.

Any info/tips would be greatly appreciated! Once again, thanks for all the good info! Especially that file Lindsay put together!

Hi All! I'm new around here and actually just started with my civilian packet for WOFT. I just want to thank you guys/gals for all the info just from browsing around on this forum. I'm at the point where I'm trying to get LORs so some of you might receive a request via PM with my stats and contact info. The process so far:My recruiter is looking at dates for my APFT on February 18th. I'm hoping to get a perfect 300. I've been trying to train to Ranger standards and only have 3 weeks left. My SIFT is scheduled for the second week of April, and if all goes well with the rest of the process, we're looking at May 19th for the board interview.Any info/tips would be greatly appreciated! Once again, thanks for all the good info! Especially that file Lindsay put together!

Flight physical?

The can delay a packet months if you have to wait for an appointment.

That is a good point. I am currently in Bakersfield, CA and I will ask my recruiter about that when I get back. So far my LORs are going pretty good. I received one from a LTC, and am close to getting one from a retired O-3 Aviator. I'm still trying to find a CW3+ for my last one. Unfortunately, the only CW4s around here are currently deployed.

Hello,

I am curious if anybody could answer some of my questions about my chances on getting selected for WOFT.

• AGE - 22
  • GT - 118
  • SIFT - 53
  • Active Army E-5 (Infantry) 4 YRS TIS
  • APFT - 290 average
  • College - 9 credits (english class / Criminal justice) 3.3 GPA

I haven't completed my packet yet it is almost done, I am trying to get in by the May 2015 board.

My flight physical was a very difficult to get because I had a previous spontaneous pneumothorax (popped lung) back in Afghanistan in 2013. It took 2 years of bugging the flight surgeon, but it finally went up to FT. Rucker and got accepted. Also does anyone know how many people apply to these boards and get selected?

If there is anyone who can help fill me in on ANYTHING that would be great! Thank you.

This is a question which a lot of people ask all the time. They post their stats and then ask about their chances for selection. Its a rather loaded question because there are too many unknowns... I'll start by saying I was selected on the January board. My stats were:

• AGE - 29
  • GT - 132
  • SIFT - 58
  • Active Army E-5 (MI) 8 YRS TIS
  • APFT - 267
  • College - 84 credits - Associates Degree - 4.0 GPA

Having said that, what do your NCOERs look like? How does your resume' look? While GT, SIFT, and PT can be discriminators - the biggest representation of you is your resume'. If you suck at writing and cannot adequately capture your career accomplishments in the resume', you'll likely not be selected. If your resume' summary does not convince a board member you should be a rotary wing aviator more than the next guy, you'll not get selected. Understand that 153A is the most competitive WO MOS. Every packet they see is qualified or it wouldn't be in front of the board. The majority of the time, the board has an average of 25%-30% selection rate. The January board was an absolute oddity with a 48% selection rate. So, read through your packet... look at your resume' and your NCOERs and legitimately ask yourself if that packet paints the picture of a guy who is truly better than 75% of anyone else who is fully qualified to be selected. That is the mentality I took when building my packet. Have several people look your packet over before you submit. Try to get a copy of someone's packet who was recently accepted so you can have an idea of what a selected packet looks like. Hope that helps.

Thanks Creep.

Not sure if I can, I graduated the course(Psyop QC) in the summer of last year, throughout the entire year of training, everyone always stressed how we needed 3 years retainability upon graduation. Even so, I need some more time in this unit before I go asking my company and BN commander for an LOR.

You can put in your application and get accepted for 153A and your PSYOP branch decided not to release you. I have known people who this has happened to. It could largely depend on your strength numbers in the MOS and also how strict they are on your acquired commitment following PSYOP school. A conditional release from a BC really doesn't mean squat to your branch at HRC. Conditional releases are really only for inter-service transfers (i.e. airforce to army and such) to ensure that an individual's chain of command won't interfere with them joining a different military service prior to their ETS.

• 2 weeks later...

It's been great reading through this thread and a huge thanks to all that have contributed to it.

I just have a basic question for now. I live in the Tri-Cities in NE TN. Does anyone know of a recruiter with WOFT packet experience?

ASVAB is done. 96 AFQT 131 GT

SF-86 is completed.

LoRs lined up. Two CW4s, a CW5, Aviation Captain, and Air Force Aviation Colonel.

Two bachelor degrees. BS Criminal Justice and Criminology and BS Clinical Psychology 3.4 GPA overall.

I'm one month removed from LASIK and, thanks to you guys, have the correct forms to take to my doc to be filled out.

Have not tested for the PT test, but in self test ran 16:00 2 mile, 65 push-ups and 65 sit-ups.

All I'm really lacking I think is a SIFT score and flight physical.

Also have 10 hours in a twin turbine, but that low of a number is probably inconsequential. I do work at an airport though, and am the son of a FW/RW pilot so maybe that will help some.

Really would appreciate advice on a good recruiter with packet experience in my area. I was working with a guy and then all of a sudden I could never get in contact with him.

Thanks, and look forward to hearing back from you all.

LJ

It's been great reading through this thread and a huge thanks to all that have contributed to it.

I just have a basic question for now. I live in the Tri-Cities in NE TN. Does anyone know of a recruiter with WOFT packet experience?

ASVAB is done. 96 AFQT 131 GT

SF-86 is completed.

LoRs lined up. Two CW4s, a CW5, Aviation Captain, and Air Force Aviation Colonel.

Two bachelor degrees. BS Criminal Justice and Criminology and BS Clinical Psychology 3.4 GPA overall.

I'm one month removed from LASIK and, thanks to you guys, have the correct forms to take to my doc to be filled out.

Have not tested for the PT test, but in self test ran 16:00 2 mile, 65 push-ups and 65 sit-ups.

All I'm really lacking I think is a SIFT score and flight physical.

Also have 10 hours in a twin turbine, but that low of a number is probably inconsequential. I do work at an airport though, and am the son of a FW/RW pilot so maybe that will help some.

Really would appreciate advice on a good recruiter with packet experience in my area. I was working with a guy and then all of a sudden I could never get in contact with him.

Thanks, and look forward to hearing back from you all.

LJ

That happens, just walk into another office and when they try and get you to enlist say you're only interested in WOFT and you have half your packet done. Depending on the MEPS station, they'll administer the test once or twice a month.

Remember to study, you only have a max of two chances to pass the test. I remember when I took it I was with one other applicant from another recruiters office. I asked him how much he studied and he said something along the lines of "It's like the SAT, you can't study for it." I laughed and got a 64, he wouldn't tell me his score but I know he failed.

I'm going to try to find some good study material for the sift. I'm lucky to have some resources at my disposal for the helicopter knowledge portion.

I just took the SIFT today and came out with a score of 66.

It's been said numerous times but I can validate it. Use the Accepted inc. Study guide and the Barrons Guide. Take all the practice tests and learn why you got any answers wrong. Then take the practice AFOQT tests (in the barrons book) and do all the math in the ASTB-E portions (Barrons).

I studied for a month. I warmed up with multiplication and flashcards (cheesy I know but I suck at math) then went into the tests.

Hope this helps, shoot me a message if you'd like any more info. Good Luck!

I took the SIFT about two years ago back when I was still in the AF. It had just changed over to the SIFT and no information was published. I was one of the fools that thought I could not study for it and IIRC I got 1 point over fail (41 maybe). It was so depressing I haven't even considered my life-long dream of flying an Apache since. Any news on retakes for those that pass? I work for Comcast now but I was a C-17 Loadmaster for 5yrs.

I got a six month deferment for my LASIK surgery. Getting prepped for the September board now.

My recruiters said they may not even be doing a board, that they've started just reviewing the packets. Not sure how credible that is. I plan to take the SIFT next month. And they have me going to Fort Campbell for a Warrant Officer Experience, where I hang out with an aviation unit for the day.

• Like 1

I got a six month deferment for my LASIK surgery. Getting prepped for the September board now.

My recruiters said they may not even be doing a board, that they've started just reviewing the packets. Not sure how credible that is. I plan to take the SIFT next month. And they have me going to Fort Campbell for a Warrant Officer Experience, where I hang out with an aviation unit for the day.

Are you a civilian putting in a packet?