Flying Videos

Kind of an interesting video from the cabin of a Huey with internal and external comms. More interesting part comes at the 4:30 mark. You can hear some JTAC/FAC(A) comms and what appears to be some F/A-18Ds and other HMLAs on station.

• Like 4

That video really makes me appreciate what guys on a platform like the 60 or 47 do. All that crew coordination between so many people and variables is impressive. I'll be happy to hopefully be in a 58, keeping it relatively simple. Great video.

The crew coordination is just one piece of a puzzle, you throw in some combo of fixed winged, UAS, indirect fires, and/or other helos and then inside your aircraft making sure things are wrapped tight and you're getting ordnance off of your aircraft on time, in the right piece of sky, and on target with clearance. Things get busy.

Certainly not afraid of busy but being able to have one guy flying the aircraft and operating the guns seems a little more organic and simplified than positioning the aircraft and having to direct your guys in back to fire and cease fire verbally. At least when you're shooting in the 58 you are the one pointing the guns and pulling the trigger. That's all I meant by "simple". I can definitely imagine things getting operationally hectic during a multi ship attack, coordinating with ground forces, etc.

Not everything in the 58 is point the aircraft and shoot. There are quite a few weapons, systems, and tactics that require the left seater to drive the mission and tell the right seater how to fly.

Edited by SBuzzkill

Not everything in the 58 is point the aircraft and shoot. There are quite a few weapons, systems, and tactics that require the left seater to drive the mission and tell the right seater how to fly.

yeah, you gotta wind it up first then point n shoot lmao

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Along the same lines as PTK, not military but my friend wanted to do some aerial photography for a project on energy usage he was working on and he brought some gopros with him to make a little behind the scenes short. All done around the Long Beach/LA area.

• Like 2