Tattoo Ideas

cryesis

Does anyone have any cool tattoos or ideas for a helicopter related tattoo? I saw a thread on here that was from 2007 or so, wanted to see if anyone got anything new or came up with a new idea. I'm thinking of getting one but I just can't think of a good idea for a helicopter related tattoo

Think it would be funny if you made a 500 long lining your nipple.

i laughed.

I've been planning on getting one for a while now but wanted to wait until I was actually rated. Now that I have my PPL I am still debating between getting it now or once I have my commercial...but I won't share my idea because it's my own design and I like it too much :)

Good question. Unfortunately, you won't find much good info here from normal, polite society who properly eschew things like tats, gauges and body piercings. Why not just go to prison and view other examples to get some ideas?

This calls to mind an old saying;

Q: How can you tell if a helicopter pilot is at the party?

A: Don't worry, he will tell you!

And now you can add.....and show you his tattoo to prove it!

Just get it in a place you can cover during normal work and during a job interview. I have been asked in a job interview (while wearing a suit); "do you have any tattoo's that will show while you're at work?"

I got the job, but I'm pretty sure a veteran of the helicopter industry would not be impressed with a visible tattoo of a helicopter.

A helicopter tattoo? O..........K..........

You could get "Robinson R-22" down your tricep. That would be massively intimidating. But absolutely not of anything that burns 100LL!

Or you could get an AH-64 shooting rockets at a tank and just make up a story when people ask you about it.

I know, I really have nothing to add. Pretty much unless your tattoo is a helicopter with guns destroying something and is a mural representing a mission YOU actually flew, I cant think of any cool helicopter tats.

Edited by Flying Pig

Just get it in a place you can cover during normal work and during a job interview. I have been asked in a job interview (while wearing a suit); "do you have any tattoo's that will show while you're at work?"

I got the job, but I'm pretty sure a veteran of the helicopter industry would not be impressed with a visible tattoo of a helicopter.

Seems like everybody has a tatoo these days. In fact, not too long ago, I saw a guy who had to be at least 60, with barb wire around his bicept,...and he wasn't a biker dude!,...just your normal, every day business type.

Give it about 10 more years (maybe 15?) and that "old guy" interviewing you will probably have tats of his own, as well as most of your passengers, and no one will care anymore!

I watched a "Firing Line" episode with William F Buckley/Tim Leary streaming from Netflix the other day. Want to see time travel in this world? Consider what was stylish, cool and "smart" when you were young. Buckley and Leary have both cycled in and out...

Save your tatoo money, and in "about 10 more years (maybe 15?)", open a tatoo removal clinic. Wanna buy a really far-out pair of raggedy bell bottoms?

Edited by Wally
  • Like 1

There's always scarification!

I'd have to agree. It's the oldest method, and it only hurts if you don't go deep enough to kill the nerve endings completely.

downside: after 20 years, that scuba bubble and jump wings will end up looking like you tripped and fell in a backyard BBQ.

• Like 1

Nothing says "newbie" like running out to get a tattoo of your aircraft, does it?

You sure that's the message you want to send? The only thing you could do more subtly would be wearing a flight suit and helmet everywhere you go.

"Everybody, look at me" isn't always the message you ought to send, no matter how badly you might want to do so. Not everyone else will be quite as impressed.

• Like 2

Pedantism alert:

Loose means not tight. It does not mean to lose something. Why are these things so hard? I think it is because people don't read much these days, they just listen and when they write, they write whatever they think they have heard, even though 'loose' and 'lose' have different pronunciations in standard English (and even American). There is a long list of misused words that irritate me, and this is just one of them. If English is your native language, you should be able to write it correctly.

• Like 1