hilarious patches

• 1 year later...

Thread revival here out of curiosity. Are patches fair game or is it up to your unit whether they allow you to wear them on your helmet?

It's up to your unit. I had a battalion commander that was so against unit morale he ordered painting over the artwork on our engine cowlings, no patches at all on helmets, and no company patches on flight suits, which I think every other unit in the Army allowed and encouraged.

Thread revival here out of curiosity. Are patches fair game or is it up to your unit whether they allow you to wear them on your helmet?

Generally you are allowed your unit patch and the American flag on your helmet. There are always those who feel the need for additional flair and put the "fun meter" and "stop yelling, I'm scared too!" patches on their helmets. There's unit comraderie and then there are individuals trying to stand out.

It's up to your unit. I had a battalion commander that was so against unit morale he ordered painting over the artwork on our engine cowlings, no patches at all on helmets, and no company patches on flight suits, which I think every other unit in the Army allowed and encouraged.

Technically no unit can 'allow' pocket patches on the A2CU, it's specifically forbidden in 670-1. We mostly just wear them to piss off the grunt CSM's, it's tolerated by most aviation units.

As far as unit symbols on aircraft, they serve a necessary purpose to help you identify aircraft. Has very little to do with morale.

Keep it professional. You never know who might be in the back of your aircraft.

That said, some units SOP what you can have.