January/March Board

ME-

SIFT: 50

GT: 120

APFT: 273

Civilian Education: AA Liberal Arts (70 SH) Central Texas College; 3.4 GPA and Dean's list.

Military Education: BLC; ALC(Distinguished Honor Graduate); Master Driver; Hazmat certifier.

MOS/Experience: 15T30F- UH-60 Blackhawk repairer/crew chief, currently a Technical Inspector on flight status; 1 deployment; 380 combat flight hours; 2 AM's; 1 ARCOM; 3 AAM's; 2 COA's; 2 AGCM's; Basic Aviation Badge; Combat Action Badge; Sikorsky Superior Maintenance Award.

Flight Physical: Have been in flight status for 4 years; Class 1W stamped approved with no restrictions/waivers.

LOR: Company Commander; Battalion Commander; Battalion CWOB (CW4). All Aviators.

My packet is in for the Active Duty 153A January board. This is my third submission. Good luck to everyone!

If you're already in aviation, why not go the extra mile and get a CW5..?

If you're already in aviation, why not go the extra mile and get a CW5..?

Because he's my battalion CWOB, I've flown with him on a ton of missions and my LOR is more personable than generic. My previous submission in 2015 had my Brigade CWOB(CW5), who I flew with in Afghanistan, and I still wasn't selected. Seniority of the Warrant doesn't necessarily guarantee a selection, I'm proof of that.

• Like 2

Greetings Everyone,

I'm a Marine reservist who s currently in the IRR and is attempting to enter the WOFT program through a recruiter under a civilian title.

Current Stats:

SIFT: Jan 21- Date
GT: 110
APFT: 295
Civilian Education: BS Political Science

Flight Physical: Jan 28
LOR: none at this time

Some insight from my end: As a civilian I have different cutoff dates for my package which I hope to have in for the March board. According to the recruiter I'm working with I have about 2 weeks prior to the board to submit my package as I'm coming in as a civilian.

Some Questions -

1) As a civilian, I'm considering calling nearby bases and meeting pilots face to face for LORS. My question is, Is that necessary or should I have civilian LOR's?

2) Can the flight physical be done in one day?

3) How much should one study for the SIFT? I've got the ACCEPTED INC.. study guide, and the BARRONS guide but I keep seeing posts that state the test is wildly unpredictable. I'm most concerned with the Math and Mechanics parts. Any tips?

I'l keep you guys updated on my path from the outside. Thank you for any input!

• Like 1

1) you should try your best to have at least one, senior warrant LOR however letters from civilians that actually know you are arguably just as powerful.

2) it all depends on the clinic/office/MEPS you go to. Mine was done in one day but I was active guard at a guard clinic.

3) http://helicopterforum.verticalreference.com/topic/17111-sift-pointers/?fromsearch=1

• Like 1

I would say that it is necessary. You want LORs from people who know what you're going to be getting in to and think you are competent enough for it.

For the SIFT I read the FAA helicopter handbook and that helped me the most. You can't prepare for the math. It is random high school level math questions. The mechanical portion is basically physics.

I was lucky and did my physical in the same place as the Navy/ MC pilot training pipeline is so they had everything already set up and had a system since they do so many, and it still took two days. Most people I have read take longer.

Hope this helps.

• Like 1

Because he's my battalion CWOB, I've flown with him on a ton of missions and my LOR is more personable than generic. My previous submission in 2015 had my Brigade CWOB(CW5), who I flew with in Afghanistan, and I still wasn't selected. Seniority of the Warrant doesn't necessarily guarantee a selection, I'm proof of that.

Yes but can have more than 1!

Greetings Everyone,

I'm a Marine reservist who s currently in the IRR and is attempting to enter the WOFT program through a recruiter under a civilian title.

Current Stats:

SIFT: Jan 21- Date

GT: 110

APFT: 295

Civilian Education: BS Political Science

Flight Physical: Jan 28

LOR: none at this time

Some insight from my end: As a civilian I have different cutoff dates for my package which I hope to have in for the March board. According to the recruiter I'm working with I have about 2 weeks prior to the board to submit my package as I'm coming in as a civilian.

Some Questions -

1) As a civilian, I'm considering calling nearby bases and meeting pilots face to face for LORS. My question is, Is that necessary or should I have civilian LOR's?

2) Can the flight physical be done in one day?

3) How much should one study for the SIFT? I've got the ACCEPTED INC.. study guide, and the BARRONS guide but I keep seeing posts that state the test is wildly unpredictable. I'm most concerned with the Math and Mechanics parts. Any tips?

I'l keep you guys updated on my path from the outside. Thank you for any input!

DGONZ:

A little insight from a fellow civilian applicant,

The Physical was my biggest and most difficult obstacle. I had my physical done at the local Air Force Base and VA hospital over two days.

Getting the physical wasn't the hardest part, getting the physical approved and "up-slipped" was.

I'll try and lay it out:

Once my physical was stamped by the AF flight surgeon, me and my recruiter had to find an ARMY Flight surgeon to input the physical in the ARMY standards system.

AERO is the acronym for the overall flight physical system, (used by all of the branches) however AAMA is the acronym for the ARMY approving body that it needs to be sent to and for whatever reason the AF couldn't or wouldn't do that for us. So make sure you find someone who knows what AERO and AAMA is and has access to it.

Then you can get a form filled out that gets submitted to Ft. Rucker Aeromed to request approval, This form is DD2992 or "upslip". Normal time frame for approval is 1-3 months but its possible to get a "rush" placed on it, however your recruiter has to put a valid reason to do so. ie. "board in March" etc.

Side note: There used to be an older DA4182 form for the upslip, but the 2992 is the most current as of april 2015, Hopefully this mute for anyone who is going through the ARMY base for their physical.

Once they approve, you get the coveted "Flight 1A Approval" Stamp on your DA 2808 form.

This is an actual, virtual stamp by Rucker on your physical.

Like i said, the physical was done, but 4 months later and a few called in favors got me in contact with an awesome Captain in the Army who was able to double check and submit. (which by the way the AF filled out some forms wrong and we had to call and re-check on a few things.)

So i know this sounds like a crazy process and it is, but hopefully you'll have someone who already knows what to do. If not, DM me and i'll help where i can.

Good luck!

• Like 1

To study for the SIFT I studied the first three chapters FAA Helicopter Handbook, the study guide by ACCEPTED, INC (be aware this book has quite a few errors), and also the "Dummies" book for armed forces flight tests. Out of all of my study material, the FAA Helicopter Handbook and the "Dummies" book were the most helpful for me. I scored a 61 on the SIFT, which isn't amazing but also isn't bad.

Also, check out the "SIFT Pointers" thread here in the forum (http://helicopterforum.verticalreference.com/topic/17111-sift-pointers/). I along with many others have provided advice and tips for studying.

FAA handbook and the sift study guide with a blue cover and i think an apache on the front(forget exactly what it was named). Seemed to hit every topic. Walked out with a 70. I took it in March of 2014 so I'm not sure if anything had changed since.

@Dgonz004

I used the first three chapters of the FAA book and the accepted study guide. Make sure you GET THE LATEST ACCEPTED STUDY GUIDE! There are (I believe) three accepted study guides currently out there. One from 2013, one from 2014 (the one I used) and a new one with a different cover (not an Apache). The latest one was published on June of 2015. Go with the new one! Each year they get better and better as the company gets more and more feedback about the test (which is why the SIFT was created in the first place; to combat well armed test takers). I was blessed and got a 67. Best of luck to you!

@Dgonz004

I used the first three chapters of the FAA book and the accepted study guide. Make sure you GET THE LATEST ACCEPTED STUDY GUIDE! There are (I believe) three accepted study guides currently out there. One from 2013, one from 2014 (the one I used) and a new one with a different cover (not an Apache). The latest one was published on June of 2015. Go with the new one! Each year they get better and better as the company gets more and more feedback about the test (which is why the SIFT was created in the first place; to combat well armed test takers). I was blessed and got a 67. Best of luck to you!

Thank You!

I'm putting in about 2.5 hours of study time now that the date is getting close, but to piggy back off of your post, I have the latest guide.

Verifying data: Gentlemen I bought the Accepted inc. Study guide in November which is commonly known as the blue one with the Apache on the front. I accidentally left it in a hotel in December and had to repurchase it. I can with first-hand knowledge say the the June 2015 guide is the newer, and more updated Accepted guide. It is a blue and orange cover with 3 helicopters and a serviceman on the cover. Hope this helps anyone following this thread.

nmthawkeye - Thanks for the input. I'l be sending a DM your way shortly.

\

If the board convened on Friday, I figured you would know by now. I read on USAREC the board convenes this week.

My understanding is that they meet for several days and then it can take another couple days to get the call about if somebody is selected or not. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong.

I didn't know there would be a phone call. Is that for the civilian side? I'm in the active duty board but haven't heard of them calling people. I though they just put out the MILPERS message on AKO the week after the board. Can anyone confirm this?

That's correct, our results will come out via MILPER on the HRC website. Results usually come out the following Monday or Tuesday after the board convenes.

Any civilians heard anything at all yet? My packet went up for this board and I'm going crazy. Quick stats for me since this is my first post:

AFQT: 94

GT: 121

SIFT: 63

APFT: 300

BN Board: 74/75, recommended by all three

LORs: CW4 Aviator, two O-3 Naval Aviators that were former roommates of mine, college professor, Air Force E-6 that worked in aviation and has been a friend for over 15 years

Waivers: none

Flight time: FAA Private Pilot single engine land, a little over 500 hours fixed wing, Civil Air Patrol Search and Rescue Pilot with 3 actual missions (2 finds), CAP counter narcotics Air observer and pilot, 1 actual DEA mission.

College: 106/120 credits towards BS in Geography, minors in Naval Science and History, completed Navy ROTC but didn't commission due to a family emergency.

Flights physical stamped and approved obviously.

Hopefully we hear something soon. I know the November board civilians heard back on Day 2 of the board!

~Ryan

• Like 1

Any civilians heard anything at all yet? My packet went up for this board and I'm going crazy. Quick stats for me since this is my first post:

LORs: CW4 Aviator, two O-3 Naval Aviators that were former roommates of mine, college professor, Air Force E-6 that worked in aviation and has been a friend for over 15 years

Flight time: FAA Private Pilot single engine land, a little over 500 hours fixed wing, Civil Air Patrol Search and Rescue Pilot with 3 actual missions (2 finds), CAP counter narcotics Air observer and pilot, 1 actual DEA mission.

College: 106/120 credits towards BS in Geography, minors in Naval Science and History, completed Navy ROTC but didn't commission due to a family emergency.

Hopefully we hear something soon. I know the November board civilians heard back on Day 2 of the board!

~Ryan

You sound like a shoe-in to me, brother. Impressive stats, good luck! Good luck to EVERYONE competing in this board!

• Like 1

~Ryan

I haven't heard anything yet but want to throw my phone every time it rings and is something not selection related right now!! Good luck bud!

Gents,

The board convened on Monday (11JAN16) and will end (15JAN16). This information is per the USAREC site. You'll more than likely find out 15JAN16 or the following Monday (18JAN16). Best of luck to you guys.

- V