Well, here's to hoping:

ASVAB: 94 AFQT, 125 GT
SIFT: 73
APFT: TBD
College: BA complete, MS 1/3 complete 3.75 GPA
Flight Time: Helicopter Flight Instructor, 300+ hours
LoRs: 160th SOAR Command CW5, CW4 UH-60 Standardization IP, CFI/Grand Canyon Tour Pilot, CFI/Coworker/News Pilot
Other: Extensive Search and Rescue experience, former Civil Air Patrol Flight Sergeant, Ground SAR Assistant Team Leader, Skills Evaluator/Trainer, FEMA Independent Study courses, Helicopter Mission Scanner certified for state DOT aviation SAR team, local City Emergency Management internship, etc.

• Like 5

I have sort of a complicated situation but depending on how fast the recruiters can work with me, I'm hoping to be on this board.

ASVAB: 117 GT

SIFT: TBD

APFT: 290, still improving

College: B.S., cum laude 3.7 GPA

Flight Time: Helicopter PPL, 70 hours

LoRs: Retired O-4 Aviation Officer/former USAREC board member/FAA DPE/my PPL CFI, 160th SOAR Command CW-5, former supervisor during my work at the White House, Degree Program Head at college, former PL during my Iraq deployment.

Prior Service: 19D SGT, 82nd Airborne, 14 months in Iraq. Airborne wings, CAB, ACM, 4 AAM's, etc.

Other: Licensed skydiver and rated instructor, SCUBA certified, experienced outdoor sports guide, interned at the White House, travel experience in 20 countries.

• Like 1

ASVAB: 124 GT

SIFT: 52

APFT: 300

College: 70 Hrs

Flight Time: 35hrs Fixed-Wing

LoRs: CW5, President of University, LTC Ret. (Aviator), Boss

Prior Service: None

Other: Civil Air Patrol--includes SAR experience/first-responder, etc. (5 yrs), Ironman Athlete/Cyclist, Participant in other community service-based events.

First post on here all, I have a newbie question- for the civilian board, and from what I see on the Warrant Officer Recruiting site, this May board packet deadline is 15 March 13?

And the one after is 15-19 July 13 with a deadline of 17 May 13? I am trying to make sure that the schedule I'm looking at is not for AD or something like that.

ASVAB: 97 AFQT, 129 GT

SIFT: 61

APFT: 275

College: BS in Econ complete - 2.7 GPA overall, 3.4 in my major

Flight Time: ~12 hours FW

LoRs: City Council board member, manager at old job, head football coach... gathering more

Other: D1 football player, Ivy League Football Champion

First post on here all, I have a newbie question- for the civilian board, and from what I see on the Warrant Officer Recruiting site, this May board packet deadline is 15 March 13?

And the one after is 15-19 July 13 with a deadline of 17 May 13? I am trying to make sure that the schedule I'm looking at is not for AD or something like that.

Welcome to the board!

Yes, you are looking at AD dates. Civilians typically need to have a board ready packet 10 days (business days?) before the board date. You will however, have to check with your local recruiting station to get the board dates for your battalion board. That will have to be done prior to the USAREC board date.

(I could be wrong on the 10 day thing, but I know it's definitely not in line with the AD cutoff dates. My recruiter was able to show me a calendar of the battalion board dates and cutoffs for both boards).

Also, how far along are you on your packet? I think the average time from starting to work on a packet to getting selected is around 6 months (it was for me). I have however seen as little as 3-4 months and as much as a year (or many years in Lindsey's case, lol...I kid, I kid). It depends a lot on your recruiter and your level of commitment.

Edited by 01CelicaGTS
  • Like 2

Welcome to the board!

Yes, you are looking at AD dates. Civilians typically need to have a board ready packet 10 days (business days?) before the board date. You will however, have to check with your local recruiting station to get the board dates for your battalion board. That will have to be done prior to the USAREC board date.

(I could be wrong on the 10 day thing, but I know it's definitely not in line with the AD cutoff dates. My recruiter was able to show me a calendar of the battalion board dates and cutoffs for both boards).

Also, how far along are you on your packet? I think the average time from starting to work on a packet to getting selected is around 6 months (it was for me). I have however seen as little as 3-4 months and as much as a year (or many years in Lindsey's case, lol...I kid, I kid). It depends a lot on your recruiter and your level of commitment.

You are correct on the 10 day rule.

Welcome to the board!

Thanks for the info! Glad you were able to clear that up. I am in the very beginning of the process, and am meeting for the first time with a recruiter tomorrow so I basically have nothing together at this point. Looking forward to a chance at this career though, its funny how things work out. A year and a half ago I made a decision between WOFT and air traffic control for a career and after a lot of thinking went the air traffic control route.

A second college degree and 20 grand later, I am still in a holding pattern and with a nice new sequestration-related FAA hiring freeze, breaching the age 31 cutoff is a real possibility. Time to revisit WOFT and I'm kicking myself that I should have been focusing on this in the first place all along. C'est la vie.

We'll see what the recruiter says tomorrow, but I'm not sure what kind of wait you guys encountered before walking in the door and then taking the SIFT test/scheduling the physical. I'm assuming getting those done are some of the biggest check boxes to cross off.

Thanks again and I'm thinking I'll be frequenting these boards a bit more now. Seems like a great resource.

A little motivation for those working on their packet:

I got to do something today which made things seem real. I turned in my letter of resignation at work. My last day of work is April 5 and ship out in May for BCT.

• Like 7

ASVAB: 91 AFQT, 127GT

SIFT: 67

APFT: 277

College: Bachelors Interdisciplinary Humanities

Flight Time: 100hr Fixed wing PPL.

LoRs: CW4 60 pilot and CID Special agent for sec. of defense, CW4 Vietnam pilot, Army Major master aviator and IP and former CW, employer.

Other: Tennis professional.

I was not selected in January. I did not have a SIFT score in my packet, but my AFAST was 127, which I felt was curiously low. Compared to the SIFT, the AFAST test was a joke that I feel anyone could score well on with a weekend of study. I thought the SIFT was an excellent test. Best of luck to everyone.

How long does it take from scheduling the flight physical to getting it approved?

VERY good Question. I started mine in August of 2012. Guess what I am still waiting for it to get approved or denied. I need a waiver for anemia and I hope to the heavens that I get it. But tell you one thing for sure don't do it at mcguire afb if you can avoid it. Hopefully you are not in that region. Best of luck to you!!! And don't give up.

• Like 1

Fastkill,

If you haven't already go to a civilian physician and see if you can get a statement explaining that your condition will not interfere with your flight duties. Ultimately it is up to the flight surgeon but it will help.

I didn't need a waiver for anything but heard second hand opinions are helpful.

VERY good Question. I started mine in August of 2012. Guess what I am still waiting for it to get approved or denied. I need a waiver for anemia and I hope to the heavens that I get it. But tell you one thing for sure don't do it at mcguire afb if you can avoid it. Hopefully you are not in that region. Best of luck to you!!! And don't give up.

That's horrible. I was hoping to get the July board at latest. Does anyone know if there will be more civilian boards after July? On the USAREC website I think it said that was the last board to meet for 153a. Hopefully that's not the case.

I wouldn't be so stressed about it if I wasn't in the NG. I have to keep requesting extensions or new releases and they may deny it eventually.

That's horrible. I was hoping to get the July board at latest. Does anyone know if there will be more civilian boards after July? On the USAREC website I think it said that was the last board to meet for 153a. Hopefully that's not the case.

I wouldn't be so stressed about it if I wasn't in the NG. I have to keep requesting extensions or new releases and they may deny it eventually.

It's by FY so you could expect a November board.

• Like 1

ASVAB: 82 AFQT, 119 GT

SIFT: 64

APFT: TBD

College: 103 Semester hours towards Bachelors degree in Intelligece Studies. 3.0 GPA

LoRs: Army Col. (known for 13 years), active CW4 60/Lakota pilot, USAF E-7 First Sergeant (former boss while active), retired USAF E-8 (also former boss while active.

Military Experience: 4 years active duty in USAF (Security Forces). 2 combat deployments. Various awards obtained.

Other: 3.5 years as a police officer, highlighting ability to make crucial decisions in high stress situations.

Don't have any formal flight experience, but perhaps i can make up for it in other areas.