Just selected airframe

How long do you think they will be tracking 64's for the NG pilots. Even though Congress is sticking their noses in to the transition process I think the 64's days are numbered in the guard.

I believe the last 58 class has graduated, if not it has to be close. I feel for those guys, most will not reach RL1 before they lose their aicraft.

Never agreed with the guaranteed aircraft for the Guard, too easy to just skate by making the minimums. Hope they realize that time next to an IP doesn't end with flight school, show up after just scrapping by and your going to be playing a lot of catch up.

Hope they realize that time next to an IP doesn't end with flight school, show up after just scrapping by and your going to be playing a lot of catch up.

Roger. The goal is to get from RL3 to RL1 ASAP upon completion of Rucker in order to track. The unit I'd be going to likes to put you on ADOS for 30+ days right away to get you at least from RL3-RL2 and then it's on you to find the rest of the time to get to RL1.

Edited by Marine4WOFT

Same here at my guard unit. Following flight school the new pilots get ADOS orders for 3 weeks to reach RL1 Day/Night. Its a whole other story to get RL1 NVG, its on the individual to come in on AFTPs. Constant battle to get on the schedule these days with all the pilots we have....

Never agreed with the guaranteed aircraft for the Guard, too easy to just skate by making the minimums.

The "guaranteed aircraft" for a guard pilot is a function of training dollars. The National Guard Bureau pays for each seat at flight school and AQC. That money is then reduced from the overall formal school training budget from the State.

So, if you are from a state that only has -60's, you are not going to be going to the -47 AQC or the F/W course, even if you are the Honor Grad. That doesn't mean the guard guys should be 'skating by'. It is just the way the system is structured.

The inverse of this Guard/Active system is that it is possible to be qualified in multiple advanced aircraft. I knew a guy who was a -64 pilot on AD. Got out and joined a -60 unit. A few years later, moved and transferred to a state that had -47's. Would that ever happen on active duty? No way!

Same here at my guard unit. Following flight school the new pilots get ADOS orders for 3 weeks to reach RL1 Day/Night. Its a whole other story to get RL1 NVG, its on the individual to come in on AFTPs. Constant battle to get on the schedule these days with all the pilots we have....

Oh, the SP I interviewed with didn't differentiate between Day/Night & NVG. Just said they can usually squeeze you from RL3 to RL2 in a few weeks if you're a quick learner. I didn't know you could get to RL1 in 3 weeks!

Edited by Marine4WOFT

You're RL1 congrats, you're still a f*cking cherry. And an arrogant one at that...

Joe_P148, you need to relax. Your post didn't make sense to me until I re-read what I had written and saw how it could've been interpreted the way you clearly did. I've now edited it to avoid any further misunderstandings.

Oh, the SP I interviewed with didn't differentiate between Day/Night & NVG. Just said they can usually squeeze you from RL3 to RL2 in a few weeks if you're a quick learner. I didn't know you could get to RL1 in 3 weeks!

Aren't you putting the cart before the horse since your packet doesn't go before the board until Monday.

• Like 2

Aren't you putting the cart before the horse since your packet doesn't go before the board until Monday.

That's what I said, but I guess they do things a little backwards in the USAR. You have to interview with the Co. CO and the unit has to 'accept' you prior to even being selected as a WOC. This enables you to 'hold against' a vacant AV slot. If I'm not selected, I'll be standing by for an automatic re-look next board.

Edited by Marine4WOFT

That's what I said, but I guess they do things a little backwards in the USAR. You have to interview with the Co. CO and the unit has to 'accept' you prior to even being selected as a WOC. This enables you to 'hold against' a vacant AV slot. If I'm not selected, I'll be standing by for an automatic re-look next board.

So, in reality you are RL4.

• Like 1

You're AZ ARNG?

If they told you you're getting 64s, wait until you're in the AQC. I know a two people from Arizona that got what they wanted (60s), and after BWS they were told they were by their unit that they're going 64s. Same deal happened with guys wanting 47s from another state and ending up in 60s. Not saying it's going to happen to you, but don't think you're untouchable either.

Thank you for sharing that experience.

There was a time a not too distant past when everyone wanted 60s and that unit was way over strength.

I will make sure to not count my chickens before the eggs are purchased but I try to stay informed as best I can

Roger. The goal is to get from RL3 to RL1 ASAP upon completion of Rucker in order to track.

Worry about getting through flight school before thinking about a track. You do know you have to make Pilot in command before you can track?

Let me guess? You wanna be the first RL1 pilot to challenge the IP course with 0 hours of PC time. You need to check yourself brotha.

Other branches such as the USMC and USAF produce IPs directly out of training to become primary trainers. It's like going to aircraft selection and getting TH67 IP.

I know it's weird, but not uncommon.

Other branches such as the USMC and USAF produce IPs directly out of training to become primary trainers. It's like going to aircraft selection and getting TH67 IP.

You mean, it's like the civilian world? ;)

Yup. I had 300ish hours when I got my CFI.

Yeah I had just over 200 (RW). The Army way is definitely better. I'd love to track IP, but there are many more 25m targets before that even approaches the horizon.

That is extremely uncommon in the USMC now. As a matter of fact, I know exactly 0 Marines who have done it. Probably more common in the USAF. I know more 0302/0802 field accessions than I do Marines who went SERGRAD.

They have and still do. I share a stagefield with some of those FAIPs from the Air Force from time to time.

I understand the concept in the civilian world but we're not flying R-22s. I personally think the guy teaching the military piloting tactics in a complex aircraft should have a little bit of experience in complex aircraft and military piloting tactics. But I guess the other services can do whatever they want.

• Like 3