Just finished WOCS

Easiest question first.

I think we started with about 55. Picked up about 10 from other classes graduated 40. Biggest thing that knocked people out was land nav. We only had 10 first time go's. if you can I would start practicing. Our entire class only had 1 person fail 1 academic test, And he passed his re-test.

Is it hard? My answer is No. Is mentally exhausting.. Yes. Do what your told, and arrive in decent physical shape, and have the basic land-nav concept. You will be golden!

My advice to those going to BCT then WOCS is stay sharp. Don't "relax" if your coming from BCT your mind will be in the right spot. If your not in charge, follow the leader. You will want the same respect when your in leadership.

BCT will test your patience. Don't get frustrated just go with the flow and try to build a bond with your fellow class mates. Try not to think about each task as an individual accomplishment but a group accomplishment.

Your class was a bunch of haters lol. I think it was bleedover from your primary TAC. Golf this week?

We also lost the most to land nav. Pay attention and don't waste the practice day by following an experienced person around like a lost puppy. Get out there and try stuff out. This was only the third course I've done in 9 years and I was a first time go with 4/4 points so I wouldn't worry too much.

What's the deal with Land Nav there? Keep hearing its changing to terrain assc. as opposed to the other method taught.

Thanks.

There is not really too much terrain association available at this land-nav site. The only association you have is the roads and trails, (and also water points). To expand on that, not all roads are marked on the map so pace count is critical. You may have to walk 100 meters to your next road, if at 50m you come across a road you should know to pass it until you get closer to 100m.

Key to land-nav is to hand rail the roads (your not aloud to be on the roads) get as many points as you can that are just off the roads (usually 3 points are just off the road and your 4th will be deep in the woods). Then determine if you have enough time to shoot an azimuth, find your remaining points, and return.

I was a first time go, I went for 3/4 I felt confident and went back. all 3 points that I found were correct. I never used my compass, I just kept an accurate pace count knew when to turn right and had an accurate estimate of how far away from the road my points would be and they were there each time.

Your class was a bunch of haters lol. I think it was bleedover from your primary TAC. Golf this week?

We also lost the most to land nav. Pay attention and don't waste the practice day by following an experienced person around like a lost puppy. Get out there and try stuff out. This was only the third course I've done in 9 years and I was a first time go with 4/4 points so I wouldn't worry too much.

It was your sign. We were jealous.. LOL

I'm not a golfer.. YET but I would be down to get out. Do you have your BOLC date? I wont be starting to till October..

There is not really too much terrain association available at this land-nav site. The only association you have is the roads and trails, (and also water points). To expand on that, not all roads are marked on the map so pace count is critical. You may have to walk 100 meters to your next road, if at 50m you come across a road you should know to pass it until you get closer to 100m.

Key to land-nav is to hand rail the roads (your not aloud to be on the roads) get as many points as you can that are just off the roads (usually 3 points are just off the road and your 4th will be deep in the woods). Then determine if you have enough time to shoot an azimuth, find your remaining points, and return.

I was a first time go, I went for 3/4 I felt confident and went back. all 3 points that I found were correct. I never used my compass, I just kept an accurate pace count knew when to turn right and had an accurate estimate of how far away from the road my points would be and they were there each time.

Spot on...

We also lost the most to land nav.

Dang, when I went through we all found a point, compared notes, went back and sat down to B.S. with the tacs for the last couple of hours before walking back to the tents. It was a check the box thing. I wouldn't exactly have called it a discriminator for passing WOCS.

When was the last time a warrant had to break out a compass and find their way home?

When was the last time a warrant had to break out a compass and find their way home?

Granted I left the Army over 13yrs ago and the world of electronics and battery technology has umm... lets just say .... changed a bit. But I think that old school land nav should be required and tested annually to maintain flight status. Not trying to be mean or as my son says "being a pen15", but if you find yourself on the ground when you didn't want to be knowledge of the basics might be your only saving grace.