TH-67 Memorization Items

• 1 year later...

In addition to the actual pubs (TC 3-04.203, TC 3-04.93, FAR/AIM, AR 40-8)

quizlet actually has a ton of study material for all of those subjects. As long as you verify that the given information is correct (and yes, some of it is not as students make the flashcard sets), it works well for rote memorization stuff.

The URS website used to have all the academics powerpoints, but unfortunately it looks as though they've taken them down.

• Like 1

So since I don't know if I'm in a 67 or 72 class yet... what else should I start studying? Aeromed, aerodynamics, and airspace? Any specific pubs, chapters, anything else?

all of 95-1, Aeromed is going with you the whole time. Aerodynamics are IP dependent i rarely got asked aerodynamics. Airspace, Aeromed, and 95-1 were the areas that are always on checkrides.

• Like 1

all of 95-1, Aeromed is going with you the whole time. Aerodynamics are IP dependent i rarely got asked aerodynamics. Airspace, Aeromed, and 95-1 were the areas that are always on checkrides.

And I've always been asked Aerodynamics. Go figure. At least know LTE, Retreating Blade Stall, Settling with Power, Dynamic Rollover, Dissymmetry of Lift. Give a one sentence definition of each, the conditions that get you into them, the symptoms of it, and how to recover. You'll also need to be able to briefly discuss ETL, Transverse Flow, stuff like that.

As far as 95-1, know the PC's responsibilities for weight and balance, Army Aviation's weather minimums, don't worry about instrument flight stuff for now. Just class A-G and what kind of weather you need to enter, and what your cloud clearance requirements are. Also know if you need a clearance to enter Class B/C/D, and if so, is it an actual clearance you need, or just two-way radio communications. What is two-way radio communications? Give me an example.

For Aeromed, be able to define spatial disorientation and fatigue. What are the different types of fatigue? What are the effects? What are the different types of spatial disorientation? Which is the most dangerous? Be able to discuss the different types of visual (FFFCRASHCSAR), vestibular (somatogravic and somatogyral, and the three specific ones that fall under each), and proprioceptive illusions. What is stress? What kinds of stress are there (PEPC)? Be able to discuss hypoxia. The four types, the four stages. Physiological altitudes. If you're a smoker, what physiological altitude have you already put yourself at? What about alcohol? Talk about D.E.A.T.H. (drugs, exhaustion, alcohol, tobacco, hypoglycemia). Under drugs, there's another acronym, SOAPSC that are additional considerations. Know those as well. The "C" is my favorite.

Also, look at AR 40-8 Exogenous Factors. If you get a flu shot how long are you grounded for? What about drinking? can you donate blood as an army aviator? If so what are your restrictions? If you went scuba diving on leave how long are you grounded for?

Hopefully that's a bit more specific. Make flashcards on all this stuff. It'll be time well spent because this is the material you will need for the rest of your career. It's plenty to study now, and will give you a HUGE leg up over your peers. When you find out if you're a 67 or 72 class, at least then you'll only have to worry about 5 & 9s instead of that plus all of the aforementioned material above.

• Like 4

While I technically wasn't in a flight class, my IP's were from Stingray and we occasionally sat in on the briefings. Faust was def hard, but I always liked having the hardest instructor.. makes the stage check that much easier.

There are two lists in the Primary Flight Training Guide, one for the P1 checkride oral, and one for

the P2 checkride oral. Those items would be good to study. The more you know ahead of time, the less stress you will be under to cram it all in while trying to learn to fly. Just a thought.

• Like 1