Flying Videos

That's exactly why I DO want to fly an Apache..Raining death on Americas enemies from the sky. (Not a bad career either, who wudda thought!) They want blow up our buildings and kill our people, cant let that happen...

Killing another human being isn't a glorifying experience as some would make it out to be.

This isn't Call of duty.

• Like 5

Not military... But ouch... If you can't tell what caused the crash, about 1:45 in you can see a ground worker jump to grab the cable, and it causes the slack to fly into the main rotor blades. He's very lucky to have not caused a loss of life.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v5aMT9MBfZI&feature=player_embedded#!

Killing another human being isn't a glorifying experience as some would make it out to be.

This isn't Call of duty.

My reaction was a strange mix of horror and calmness. There's nothing good or macho about killing dozens of essentially helpless men on the ground who have no way to fight back against you directly, but it certainly can be necessary to do so. Lesser of two evils, I guess. Better to kill them than let them live, but, like you said, there's nothing glorious or simple about it.

My reaction was a strange mix of horror and calmness. There's nothing good or macho about killing dozens of essentially helpless men on the ground who have no way to fight back against you directly, but it certainly can be necessary to do so. Lesser of two evils, I guess. Better to kill them than let them live, but, like you said, there's nothing glorious or simple about it.

Don't get me wrong. They weren't helpless. They got what they had coming, but nobody should want to do that. That's my point.

• Like 2

I don't want my only mission to be just killing, I want a variety of missions with different skills involved. Flying an apache would be awesome don't get me wrong but for a career it isn't for me.

I was kind of along the same lines... then I started thinking... if you do MEDEVAC/CASEVAC that's all you do all the time besides sit in base and wait for a call. so I would think, having not been there done that, that each airframe has its own "special" types of missions that it does. I ended up in the boat of "I don't care what I get to fly as long as I'm flying in the army" and that's where I'm at now. If it was demanded I had to pick something this very moment, it would be a 60

I don't want my only mission to be just killing, I want a variety of missions with different skills involved. Flying an apache would be awesome don't get me wrong but for a career it isn't for me.

I'm just going to say that none of the aircraft missions are as black and white as most people think they are.

• Like 1

I think that guys who want to fly in the Army just to kill people need to take a step back and think a little first. Until you've been in combat (which, for the record, I never have), I don't think you have a soap box to even stand on. With the video game and movie culture, it is glamorized as something easy, but it is a serious business.

There is a difference between a willingness to pull the trigger if you need to, and a desire to pull it just because you can. At least in doctrine, the mission is using attack to protect friendlies as much as it is to destroy the enemy.

• Like 2

Not military... But ouch... If you can't tell what caused the crash, about 1:45 in you can see a ground worker jump to grab the cable, and it causes the slack to fly into the main rotor blades. He's very lucky to have not caused a loss of life.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v5aMT9MBfZI&feature=player_embedded#!

Yea, but they should have had a way to disconnect the main line before it ever got to that point, either a remote hook or punch the line off at the belly. If the cargo hook is higher that the blades, there is a problem.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...