Sept 2013 Civilian WOFT Board

Sorry folks, I have been eschewing technology to take my mind off the last part of this process. I had my Bn. Board today and knocked it out of the park. I quote, "You are the most outstanding and qualified applicant I have ever seen." All three board members gave me a go. My package will be at USAREC in time for the board. By the way, the board convenes on the 17th (Tuesday) so don't get all antsy on Monday waiting. Little pic below, this was after the board approved me and may be the last time I ever wear that uniform. Semper Yut!!

photo2.pdf

From the one of my board members. I asked her specifically when the board would be and whether mine would make it.

Hmm well everyone else has been hearing and seeing Monday but I guess it's really all just academic since we won't be hearing the day of the board anyway most likely.

• Like 1

Phrog I was in the same boat as you for July except I did my board 6 days out not 4.. I hope the best for you but I was not boarded. Expect not to be on September, I would be very surprised if you get looked at this board. You know how the military works, do you really think you're going to get on September?

• Like 1

Phrog I was in the same boat as you for July except I did my board 6 days out not 4.. I hope the best for you but I was not boarded. Expect not to be on September, I would be very surprised if you get looked at this board. You know how the military works, do you really think you're going to get on September?

I hear you brother. Hope for the best but prepare for the worst. I will not be upset if it doesn't go this go-round. I have a plan in place. But, at this point, something has got to go smoothly. LOL.

Hello everyone, I am new here and have a real quick question. Here is my situation, I am on the the September board so I will find out if I was selected in a few days as I'm sure everyone here knows. My issue is this, my wife found out yesterday that she could be receiving a HUGE promotion but it requires us to move overseas and she won't find out for sure for a few more weeks. If I am selected and swear in and sign the contract I'm am obligated to join correct? I know that I have to swear in a few days after selection but I would 1. hate to take it and she misses this opportunity or 2. not take it and she doesn't get the promotion. Don't get me wrong I really want this and wouldn't even consider not taking a slot if selected if it were not for extenuating circumstances. Any info you guys can give would be greatly appreciated.

Once you go to MEPS after being selected within about 2 or 3 days you will swear in and sign your contract and that's it, you're obligated. Anytime before signing the contract at MEPS, you can bail out. If anything I might suggest speaking with your recruiter and pulling out of September and go on the next board instead.

If I'm remembering correctly everyone that I've known has sworn in and signed contracts before they leave for BCT. I think it's a simar thing to the delayed entry program like what I did when I first went in back in 2006. I just spoke with my station commander and he said after the board selectee memo is released I need to be at MEPS and in the Army (at least via contract) within 3 days.

The delayed entry program is essentially binding though isn't it? He couldn't be in the DEP and then have his wife get that promotion and say sorry guys but I can't go?

Actually I think he *legally* can back out in the DEP but he'll probably get essentially blacklisted from all the local recruiting offices and MEPS for pulling such a "stunt."

I think big daddy got selected before but due to his circumstances, he declined. He later reapplied and got selected again and now is in basic (if I remember correctly). If anyone can find his old post, that would be an accurate source.

Ah yeah, you're thinking of tydaddy. Not sure if he went as far as to signing his contract and going into DEP the first time though.

(Let me preface my response by disclosing that I am Active Duty Army for 6 yrs, don’t know much about aviation, but enough to encourage my prior service husband to get selected on July’s board.)

I sincerely wish you all luck on the SEP board. Especially those that have been extremely persistent throughout the entire process. I can guarantee you that your recruiting experience will not be the last time you encounter incompetent officers and ncos. I agree that most of the officers and ncos that you all had to work with in recruiting are complete garbage. Once you get selected, you must remember that this type of individual MAY be your mechanic, your crew chief, your first sergeant, your company commander. They MAY be or may NOT be. I have worked with some amazing Officers and NCOs. I have worked with many many more worthless officers and ncos. You can’t make an on-the-spot decision about the quality of Soldier. (But you will HAVE to make an on-the-spot decision about the mission your boss is commanding you to do.) These things depend on your life/military experience and your gut feeling. Never ignore your gut feeling. Especially as an aviator. I am an MP and we have HMMWVs and MRAPs. Flying an aircraft is defiantly not the same as driving a HMMWV.

I have noticed that there are a lot of “not serious” inquiries on this forum. I have no sympathy. I never wanted to be in the military, but I fell in love with a man who was obsessed with flying. We were high school sweethearts. But in 10 awesome years of marriage, he’s deployed, I’ve deployed, I’ve got my BA, he’s got his BA, we both got LASIK surgery, he got his private pilot’s license, we’ve lived/traveled all over in Japan and the US. If your spouse holds you back, you’re not married to the right person. We have supported each other 100% of the way.

Sorry, guys, I am not an aviator, and try not to chime in. It really just grinds my gears when people talk about “spouses” as “holding them back.”

Lastly, one of my favorite quotes from an NCO “it is what it is.” The recruiting stage and MEPS is nothing compared to the rest of your career in the military. It really is an HONOR to serve and I would not trade it for anything.

Good luck to all SEP guys and gals!

• Like 3

I believe you misunderstood me. My wife is not holding me back but joining is a family decision and we are simply trying to make the best decision for our family. We both grew up in military families and even now work on military installations. Woft was our decision and unfortunately the process took a very long time and circumstances have shifted. I have not even been selected so all of this might be a mute point anyway I was simply trying to make the most informed decision possible for myself and my family.