Commissioned Army Officer to Aviation Warrant Officer

Don't give away our secrets!

Like a good flight school student should, I did nothing but 5's, 9's, and PT. I wouldnt know anything about Harpoon Harry's, Mcguires, or the white sand beaches of Destin and the hidden gem that is Miramar beach.

Or Teaser's, don't lie.

• 4 weeks later...

Here's to reviving this thread....

Question: Headed to Rucker in September as a RLO to warrant convert, and looking to live on-post. The neighborhood we are looking at is Bowden Terrace. From what I can gather, they essentially take your entire BAH while living there. However, considering I will be picking up CW-2 within 3-6 months after the conversion, which carries with it a bump up in BAH, do they still collect the entire amount? Anybody with insight into this?

I'm sorry but does BAH get based on rank now?

I thought it was only based on zip code and married or not and with kids or without kids.

If it works like I think then yes, you pay them what the rent amount is when you move in, which is usually pretty close to your BAH amount

I'm sorry but does BAH get based on rank now?

I thought it was only based on zip code and married or not and with kids or without kids.

If it works like I think then yes, you pay them what the rent amount is when you move in, which is usually pretty close to your BAH amount

Yeah, it's based on zip code, pay grade and dependent/non-dependents... So if I move in as a W-1, and then pick up CW2, I wonder if they will automatically pocket the difference (which is like 300-400)... I figured there might be someone in this thread that fits this profile...

Yeah, it's based on zip code, pay grade and dependent/non-dependents... So if I move in as a W-1, and then pick up CW2, I wonder if they will automatically pocket the difference (which is like 300-400)... I figured there might be someone in this thread that fits this profile...

They do that for E5-E6. The pay increase goes straight to them. Sucks cause as an E6 you're paying 1450 for the same house an E1 is paying 980 for.

I appreciate all the feedback. That does suck... Anybody have any recommendations for off-post single family homes for rent? As long as it's within 10-15 minutes for anything in flight school, family friendly and has at least a garage I am all ears if anyone has the scoop for the immediately surrounding area...

On a sidenote, this website and these forums is probably the best online resource for anything flight school...

I appreciate all the feedback. That does suck... Anybody have any recommendations for off-post single family homes for rent? As long as it's within 10-15 minutes for anything in flight school, family friendly and has at least a garage I am all ears if anyone has the scoop for the immediately surrounding area...

On a sidenote, this website and these forums is probably the best online resource for anything flight school...

Just gotta look around and catch a bit of luck. Im in Daleville, about 6-8 minutes to post. Three bedrooms, jacuzzi tub, two car garage, fireplace, and a backyard for the dogs. Im paying $750 a month in a neighborhood of pretty much all pilots.

• Like 1

You absolutely can find cheaper places off base. And depending on yur wife/family it may be worth it. My wife just had our first kid, 2 months old when we moved to Rucker, I liked the convenience of on base, especially for maintenance issues (which we have had) where I don't have the time to deal with it.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

You guys have no idea how happy I am to have found this thread...

Flying helicopters is all I have ever wanted to do. I unfortunately made some (mostly financial) choices to not be able to branch Aviation out of college. I am still 100% wishing for this to be my career path and am glad that it appears it is still an option, but have a couple questions!

I am a 13A O2 with 1 year TIG. Do I need to be a Captain or 1LT(P) before I can drop a Warrant Packet? Similar to VTIP?

I also have 2 ADSOs (Branch and GRADSO), someone mentioned needing a waiver to get out of their Branch ADSO, can I keep GRADSO or can/will that have to go as well?

Does anyone know about the same CO to WO but from Active Duty to National Guard? Can that be a thing?

Thank you in advance!

Flying helicopters is all I have ever wanted to do. I unfortunately made some (mostly financial) choices to not be able to branch Aviation out of college. I am still 100% wishing for this to be my career path and am glad that it appears it is still an option, but have a couple questions!

I am a 13A O2 with 1 year TIG. Do I need to be a Captain or 1LT(P) before I can drop a Warrant Packet? Similar to VTIP?

Im actually a 13A also. You dont need to be a CPT or 1LT(P) to drop the packet. I heard VTIP is much harder to do, specially during this time in the Army. I spoke to a CPT who got rejected who has flight hrs and has a degree in aviation.

I also have 2 ADSOs (Branch and GRADSO), someone mentioned needing a waiver to get out of their Branch ADSO, can I keep GRADSO or can/will that have to go as well?

Does anyone know about the same CO to WO but from Active Duty to National Guard? Can that be a thing?

Thank you in advance!

Like JPdotA said, there is no rank requirement. I just went through the process of applying last year and was picked up in January this year. I am currently undergoing the conversion process (which is a pain in the ass).

As far as waivers go, you need to get a memo waiver signed by your branch chief at HRC conditionally releasing you should you get picked up by the board. Not sure about the GRADSO, but I still had a leftover ADSO and it was a non-issue in getting picked up and converting, since you will be continuing service on Active Duty. (I am sure if you are pursuing the Guard route, that may be an issue, however, it is entirely possible to go active to NG as a RLO to warrant).

The hardest part is getting a conditional release from your branch chief at HRC. If they are under strength and don't want to let you go, there is not a lot you can do about it until your ADSO is up. Take the SIFT and knock out what you can on your packet, then request to meet with your branch manager and lay out your packet and plan for them. The more prepared, professional, and serious you are about your proposal, the more your Branch Manager will support you. I did this with mine as a registered nurse in the Army (66H) as a 2LT, and she went back to Knox and I had a letter the following week waiting in my email. So nothing is impossible if you put in the work.