Selection today

Last selection gave a 50% chance to be a CH47 pilot (awesome). Which is much higher than any other selection by percentage.

Now that C12......

The C-12 is the part that scares me.

Last selection gave a 50% chance to be a CH47 pilot (awesome). Which is much higher than any other selection by percentage.

Now that C12......

Correct me if I am wrong, but that also means you only have to have a better standing than the one other WO? Gotta look at it optimistically :D

0 interest in fixed wing?

My interest in military fixed wing extends to the A-10 and the A-10 only. I joined the Army to fly helicopters low and slow in the dirt with the troops.

• Like 1

I wonder if a case could be fought against landing in a fixed wing slot, as 153A = Rotary Wing Aviator. Seems like a breach of contract.

you complete the 60a/l course first to "check the block" as a "rotary aviator" then the rest of your career is FW. At least that's what they said.

• Like 1

So with fixed wing for life you don't go through 60's first? I guess I could always do my 6 as a winger and go reserves/guard to go back to helo's haha.

Not no mo'.

I can't imagine how dull flying GOs around in a Gulfstream would be... no thanks.

So with fixed wing for life you don't go through 60's first? I guess I could always do my 6 as a winger and go reserves/guard to go back to helo's haha.

Straight from one of the guys who got C12's. He classes up for 60's at the end of the month. After the A/L course he then transitions to fixed wing.

Not no mo'.

I can't imagine how dull flying GOs around in a Gulfstream would be... no thanks.

More than likely it's in a C-12. The "Jets", I believe are highly sought after positions.

To those of you who have yet to select, and could potentially end up in FW, and seem to have an issue with that: just remember how many people would throw you down the stairs to be in your shoes. Make the most of what you get, and be thankful for it.

A few years ago, you wouldn't be able to find a W1/LT flying a fixed wing.

• Like 1

I hate to thread hijack, but I feel that this is the best thread to ask this. With all the talk about fixed wing, I am curious as to what all goes into selection ranking; there is the obvious factors of test scores and performance behind the stick I'm assuming, but what other factors come into play? Or do any? I'm not even close to this step yet, however; curiosity is getting the best of me. Thanks in advance for any info!

APFT and your performance at WOBC factor in as well.

Alright perfect! Is that a history of APFT tests or just your most recent? Sorry if I seem clueless, but I'm the first selectee that my recruiting station has ever had with these recruiters so they can't tell me much. I only ask because I'm coming out of collegiate football and I'm not exactly in army running shape yet haha.

You will take a Selection PT test at the completion of BWS, two days before Selection. That's the only one that counts.

For those who have/will go through WOBC, as opposed to the old BOLC system (so pretty much everyone except a few of us at this point), here is the OML breakdown.

Keep in mind this is for the entirely of flight school to determine who is Honor Graduate at Graduation, but you can eliminate everything under Advanced Airframe to figure out the percentages and stuff for selection.

flightschooloml2.jpg

To those of you who have yet to select, and could potentially end up in FW, and seem to have an issue with that: just remember how many people would throw you down the stairs to be in your shoes. Make the most of what you get, and be thankful for it.

A few years ago, you wouldn't be able to find a W1/LT flying a fixed wing.

Of course, Mike. I'm still on these forums because I never want to forget how much I went through trying to get to where I am right now. If I fight the good fight and am still put in fixed-wing, then I'll suck it up and learn to love it. But from my seat right this second, you have got to understand the frustration. Of all the branches to join, the Army was far and away the best. I don't want helicopters because they're "cool," but because of what they can bring to the table, and I identify incredibly strongly with that. I've tried doing fixed wing on the civilian side and it just doesn't thrill me. The FW mission is obviously necessary and important, or we wouldn't have it. I'm not docking them at all. For me, personally, though, it's so completely out of left field in the sense that I never in a million years thought there was a chance I could get forced into one during selection. That's why I didn't pursue any other branch.

I understand things change and we have to adapt. The 58 was far and away my top choice, and it's gone. Of course I'm not completely over that yet ;) but I turned my attention to the other three options we have left and done a lot of soul searching. Now, there's fixed wing and I'm mostly just shocked. If I get it, I'll plead my case respectfully. If I lose, then okay. I'll move on. But right now...man. Hopefully it's not an issue. It wouldn't really be an issue if the AD WO classes weren't so small right now (2-4), but I can't change that.

Hopefully that clarifies where I'm coming from a bit more. I don't want to come off as whiny, or unappreciative. Three of the four aircraft available at selection right now I will take and be exceedingly happy with. The fourth would just take a little longer.

• Like 1

You will take a Selection PT test at the completion of BWS, two days before Selection. That's the only one that counts.

For those who have/will go through WOBC, as opposed to the old BOLC system (so pretty much everyone except a few of us at this point), here is the OML breakdown.

Keep in mind this is for the entirely of flight school to determine who is Honor Graduate at Graduation, but you can eliminate everything under Advanced Airframe to figure out the percentages and stuff for selection.

Have they switched over to this yet? Most classes have a mix of BOLC/WOBC guys right now and will for about the next two months.

Of course, Mike. I'm still on these forums because I never want to forget how much I went through trying to get to where I am right now. If I fight the good fight and am still put in fixed-wing, then I'll suck it up and learn to love it. But from my seat right this second, you have got to understand the frustration. Of all the branches to join, the Army was far and away the best. I don't want helicopters because they're "cool," but because of what they can bring to the table, and I identify incredibly strongly with that. I've tried doing fixed wing on the civilian side and it just doesn't thrill me. The FW mission is obviously necessary and important, or we wouldn't have it. I'm not docking them at all. For me, personally, though, it's so completely out of left field in the sense that I never in a million years thought there was a chance I could get forced into one during selection. That's why I didn't pursue any other branch.

I understand things change and we have to adapt. The 58 was far and away my top choice, and it's gone. Of course I'm not completely over that yet ;) but I turned my attention to the other three options we have left and done a lot of soul searching. Now, there's fixed wing and I'm mostly just shocked. If I get it, I'll plead my case respectfully. If I lose, then okay. I'll move on. But right now...man. Hopefully it's not an issue. It wouldn't really be an issue if the AD WO classes weren't so small right now (2-4), but I can't change that.

Hopefully that clarifies where I'm coming from a bit more. I don't want to come off as whiny, or unappreciative. Three of the four aircraft available at selection right now I will take and be exceedingly happy with. The fourth would just take a little longer.

That wasn't directed at you as much as people talking about "breach of contract". (So many problems with that line of thinking.)

I know you'd make the most of what you got with a minimal amount of legit bitching. ;)

That wasn't directed at you as much as people talking about "breach of contract". (So many problems with that line of thinking.)

I know you'd make the most of what you got with a minimal amount of legit bitching. ;)

Oh you mean the line of thinking that says I'd rather be doing my all for the ground guys and not rubbing shoulders with GO's? Yup, so many problems with that line of thinking guy. Gimme a break.

Oh you mean the line of thinking that says I'd rather be doing my all for the ground guys and not rubbing shoulders with GO's? Yup, so many problems with that line of thinking guy. Gimme a break.

Do you think the GOs getting moved around the battlespace isn't important?

Do you think you couldn't get Blackhawks and end up in a GSAB/VIP unit and doing the same thing, but in a helicopter?

Do you think you couldn't end up in an assault unit, but end up deployed as part of a GSAB, and supporting (Sorry, I mean "rubbing shoulders with") the GOs?

Or maybe you don't think the intelligence gathering mission that FW also does could be important for the ground guys?

As far as "breach of contract", it would never fly. You're still getting trained in a TH-67, if nothing else. Just like anything else, they "guaranteed" the training, and nothing more. If you join(ed) the Army and don't understand "Needs of the Army", you're gonna have a bad time.

• Like 3