Selection today

I know I'm far far down the road from any of this, but why does it seem like all the 2LTs get a huge chunk of Apaches, and WO1s only get 1 or 2, if any at all during selection? Is that pretty common, or is that some trend as of late?

That's just the way the last two selections have been. It varies so wildly selection to selection there literally is no point in trying to guess what the next one will be like or figure out a pattern. Not long ago warrants were 95% hawk and 5% Apache.

I know I'm far far down the road from any of this, but why does it seem like all the 2LTs get a huge chunk of Apaches, and WO1s only get 1 or 2, if any at all during selection? Is that pretty common, or is that some trend as of late?

The numbers will vary depending on the breakdown of Active and NG as well.

Army CWO and RLO arent he same. The Army has different needs for WO1s as pilots, and 1LTs as Platoon Leaders. At rucker it seems you are the same.

That ends the second you step foot at your first unit.

So just ignore what the "other" side gets.

Haha. Did you start the 64 course yet? Is your state going to re-slot you down here? We have two guard guys in my class who still have high hopes of going through the 64 course. We keep telling them to think again.

I start next week, we aren't loosing ours until they force them from us which won't happen until congress makes a final decision in summer of 2016, and then relocation time after that (army moves slow). If they are from Arizona, their hopes can stay high. As for other states, couldn't tell ya. North Carolina and Texas all have them still too I think.
  • Like 1

The C-12 guy will go through the A/L course, then FW transition and "never fly helicopters in the Army again."

Typical wasteful Army.

I've never understood the "Class of all Apache" followed by "Class of all Blackhawk" mentality. Are they really saying they had no idea of the forecast? I understand needs of the Army kind of thing, but I think they'd be better served with "happy pilots" if more pilots at least got what they wanted. With classes of all one or the other, there's a lot of people "getting screwed" on both sides.

Ah, well. Such is life.

• Like 2

Typical wasteful Army.

I've never understood the "Class of all Apache" followed by "Class of all Blackhawk" mentality. Are they really saying they had no idea of the forecast? I understand needs of the Army kind of thing, but I think they'd be better served with "happy pilots" if more pilots at least got what they wanted. With classes of all one or the other, there's a lot of people "getting screwed" on both sides.

Ah, well. Such is life.

Completely agree. They give me an Apache and I'll give them 30 years if they'll let me.

They give me anything else, and I'll be out the door as soon as I'm commercially viable.

It's bad business.

Completely agree. They give me an Apache and I'll give them 30 years if they'll let me.

They give me anything else, and I'll be out the door as soon as I'm commercially viable.

It's bad business.

Not really. The Army needs career pilots and they need one term pilots. You are a number and nobody really cares if you are happy or not. You have to find a way to make yourself happy in your career and control what you can, not worrying about what you can't.

Not trying to be a cynic. That's just the reality. They are given the numbers to fill, they fill them.

• Like 4

It's bad business.

That's an ignorant statement.

Are you a 30 year 64 pilot? or you a four year 60 pilot who HATES your life?

You wouldn't be happy flying a DAP or AH-6s for 160th?

Flying eight ship, NVG, air assaults, even in a lowly airframe where I don't have a trigger is fukn awesome every time I do it. Every time.

Come on, there is no bad airframe.

C12 sounds terribly boring to me now, but in 10 years? who knows.

10 years ago, I would have bet you that I'd cut off my manhood before I'd leave the Marines for the Army, but now, I wish I had left sooner.

• Like 4