Do most Army soldiers want aviation?

Shindig, if you are real...and that's a big IF...stop digging yourself into a deeper hole. If you're looking for sympathy or a pat on the back, you've come to the wrong place. You are talking to men and women who have endured more than you can imagine. Get off the forum, focus on your task at hand, and come back for further guidance once you have accomplished your goal. If you continue to complain or present your miniscule issues on here, nobody will take you seriously, and by that point, we will realize you are a troll or a wannabe in their mothers basement having pretend time.

• Like 4

guys let me be very clear

i do work out a lot usually 2.5-3 mile run and 100-125 or more pushups on wkout days

i know im going to get sore and i know im going to go through pain...im just fine with that, no prob

what im concerned about is doing p-ups on super sore muscles and going to muscle failure ....last i did that i couldnt do ANY p-ups for two weeks bc i pulled or tore something in my arm between chest...so why on earth would i do that again and possibly get injured?

I dont have much muscle strain probs with situps but my legs get strained during running sometimes and especially arms and chest for p-ups

Capitalization. Punctuation. Please. Pretty please.

• Like 3

ok ill just run 10 miles a day and do 2000 p-ups everyday and have torn muscles and stress fx...good advice thanks

If you don't like the advice given, then go away and come back when you've got something to show for it -- like being selected. What exactly is it you are looking for, here? Strangers on the Internet to pat you on the back and give you a high five? You are making progress but this forum is not your workout journal. We don't need to know every time you increase your max by 3 push-ups.

Keep working at it and come back when you've got your sh*t together.

• Like 1

If you don't like the advice given, then go away and come back when you've got something to show for it -- like being selected. What exactly is it you are looking for, here? Strangers on the Internet to pat you on the back and give you a high five? You are making progress but this forum is not your workout journal. We don't need to know every time you increase your max by 3 push-ups.

Keep working at it and come back when you've got your sh*t together.

NSFW:

• Like 4

Oh my stars, is that an encouraging post? I... I can't believe it.

I didn't understand this post until reading the past several posts. Shindig - if, as someone posted earlier, you truly aren't a troll - I wasted my time with my previous post. Did you read and/or comprehend any of it??? Seriously, there are many other options out there for you I'm sure. The military SHOULD NOT be one of them. More important than quibbling about doing a few push-ups, you need to get a few years under your belt in general - that is very obvious by your replies. You have no idea what you are trying to get yourself into. Some of the replies to you probably seem pretty harsh, but it is because of what the guys have seen and done. And then to read all your whining about being sore... Seriously, it infuriates me as well. And I agree with a previous poster about your writing. Don't you have to write an essay - "Why I Want to be an Army Aviator" - something like that..? What state are you in? Have you actually met and talked with officers?

guys im not looking for sympathy...and im not complaining about being sore...i understand the military is hard core and i have to be on my toes etc...i guess im just really wanting to do this and so i talk about it a lot but im not looking for pats on my back or anything like that. I just wanted to be clear on the whole injury thing that it has been a concern of mine because i dont want to delay getting selected because i cant take my pt test. Also my mom has been in really bad shape medically so ive been really stressed out lately too especially since shes behind in medical bills etc.(and no not looking for sympathy on this either just telling you whats been going on) So i apologize if i'm sounding whiny I dont mean to be

Jhart, about my essay i had someone help me out with that...i was always pretty good at math but i was never the best at writing...

yeah fighter aircraft would be the best for sure, but i don't think i'd be good enough to get a fighter slot in the AF or Navy. Gotta be top notch. The Army i heard is a lot easier so I'm aiming for that.

Dude....just....no. No. becoming a "fighter pilot" (ie high, fast, LOOOOONG and boring). come on. how many dogfights does ANYONE do these days? and against who? Nobody with a real military fights us in the air. most of the fixed wing segment is UAV or CAP. We have air superiority hands down ALL day, every day. Fighters have become nothing more than America's version of the iron dome. I'm not knocking their mission. I'm saying that rotor pilots have a HELL of alot more fun (I've never done it but, I can't imagine otherwise plus I've heard from a couple of AF flyers that that is the case).

That aside, every airframe has its pros and cons. Some guys like to do close air support. Some guys like to pick up and drop off. Some guys like to do heavy lifting. Some guys like to scout. The military will ultimately decide what everyone does anyway. You gotta stop looking at it like "one pilot is better than another just cause of his airframe." Personally, if I EVER get to submit my packet (I stopped holding my breath when I blacked out a couple months ago....sigh), I'd opt for the 60. I just like the mission of that airframe. Big picture, landing in a hot zone and doing air med transport or whatever is GREAT experience for the civ market (I'm not counting on a retirement package). But honestly, I'd take anything because I love flying rotorcraft more than anything else I've had the privilege to fly in. I sure as hell wouldn't want to fly the air taxi on the civ side that is fo sho.

That's just my ignorant take on something I know nothing about but, I do know that alot of those "awesome high speed better than everyone else" fighter pilots are driving a computer joystick in a trailer controlling UAVs (and yes, they are pissed about it). So before you start up the "the army is easier so I picked it" BS, think about what you are planning to actually do. You aren't signing up for street cred nor are you ever going to get props for being part of the "club." You have to excel in whatever you get into. And whatever that is, you better pick something you would do for free.

If you would fly helis for free, if it is worth that much to you, apply for WOFT. Trust me, from someone who has had more jobs that I hated than I care to admit, but did them because they paid the bills, money and prestige are absolutely irrelevant once you have to care about what you are doing. The most important thing is to do something you love. If you don't absolutely love helicopters, don't apply. If you really want to fly fixed wing, DO NOT APPLY. get your 4 year degree and apply to the AF ROTC. You will regret doing something you didn't actually want to do 10 years down the road. Think about it.

guys im not looking for sympathy...and im not complaining about being sore...i understand the military is hard core and i have to be on my toes etc...i guess im just really wanting to do this and so i talk about it a lot but im not looking for pats on my back or anything like that. I just wanted to be clear on the whole injury thing that it has been a concern of mine because i dont want to delay getting selected because i cant take my pt test. Also my mom has been in really bad shape medically so ive been really stressed out lately too especially since shes behind in medical bills etc.(and no not looking for sympathy on this either just telling you whats been going on) So i apologize if i'm sounding whiny I dont mean to be

Jhart, about my essay i had someone help me out with that...i was always pretty good at math but i was never the best at writing...

I have never heard of a serious immediate self injury to an amateur athlete doing aerobic, body weight resistance calisthenics. Sore like anything? Yes, oh yes(!) but not damaging tendon or muscle tears, which take more effort and stress than you most likely will be putting out (normally fit and conditioned individual doing standard calisthenics without weights or other equipment).

You've mentioned working at the Y? I suggest that you ask around there. I use the local Y to train, a lot of serious and helpful folks there.

Edited by Wally

Shindig,

It amazes me that with the amount of free advice that has been given to you on here by people in the profession that you want to be involved in within the near future that you still continue to respond to them in the sarcastic, half-hearted, and downright disrespectful ways you have. Have some respect.

I am still 8 months away from commissioning into the Army (NG) and I wouldn't treat a private who just graduated from basic with the attitude you have shown some of the members of this forum, some of whom have over 20 years of experience within Army Aviation.

It amazes me how most of you take this guy seriously. He is not even that great of a troll, but has somehow managed to accumulate 44 pages worth of responses. Wow. :rolleyes:

• Like 1

Helicopters aren't immune to long periods of boredom. I'd love to fly fighters, especially the ones with F/A at the beginning.

Weeeell, of course that goes without saying. there's boredom in every area. And I'm sure flying jets is a great time. Personally, though I used to have a thing for the A10 (raised in civ air patrol and had alot of exposure to the jets, grew up on shepherd afb and had many a tour through the cockpits of f16s trust me, I'd have given my left nut to get a fighter slot) my first flight in an R22 made me a believer. Helicopters are amazing machines.